Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
IN LIGHT OF RECENT EVENTS
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shirley c
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you insure 4 dogs, can you get a block insurance as its far too expensive for me to insure 4 individually, I insure Jazz cheaper than the dog insurance quotes I have had for the dogs.
Lisa/Colin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some companies will give discount for more than one animal, not sure which ones, you'd need to check them out. We are with More than for Hektor, at £25 odd per month, its not cheap but we've already had our moneys worth with last years vet visits and the Vet school!

You would think there would be a company somewhere that would insure ALL your animals, horses, dogs...the lot.

Lisa
Jack

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lisa's right Shirley - you will have to pay an individual premium for each dog but if you have them on one policy you may well get a discount. Wink

You may however wish to think of Insuring Luka seperately......not as a result of what has happened I hasten to add but based on his breed ALONE. It costs more for certain breeds to be Insured - the traditional "fighting/working/dangerous dog" types, according to Insurers statistics and not my own feelings. My 2 girls are classed in that bracket but Sykes isn't (as he's a cross breed he's considered a mongrel whereas my girls are classed as pedigree fighters Evil or Very Mad despite the fact we've never had a single issue or incident with them) . IF you Insure all the dogs together the Underwriters may LOAD the entire policy rather than allow a discount so look into that carefully before committing Smile
Janis

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm.with.more.than.and.pay.individual......as.jack.says.it's.cheaper.for.me.as.mine.to.are.classified.as.cross.breeds....... 9.99.a.month.a.month.for.both.gypsy.and.echo.and.10.00.for.inca.as.i.have.had.a.claim.for.her!..........i.haven't.inquired. about.a.discount.as.i.have.all.3.with.the.same.company!......but.my.they.are.insured.up.to.£7000.per.vet.visit/injury/condition.and.my.third.party.liability.is.up.to.2.million
shirley c

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont think I would get insurance for Moya or Scooby because of their age, Pixel will proanbly be expensive as she is now 7 and classed as an older dog and Luka might cost more than Jazz Rolling Eyes
shirley c

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far Moya and Scooby are out, and Pixel is turning out to be more expensive than luka lol

but I have only checked a few and dont have time now as im going out tonight so off to get ready
Jack

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do have to watch out for age limits too Shirley - and pre-existing health conditions will likely be excluded. Given Pixels' recent bout of illnesses you could find she's almost uninsurable, other than the PL element.

Luka would cost more because of his breed yet less because of his age so it balances out at the moment to be a pretty standard price but as he gets older the premium will be loaded.
Vikki

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all - again another one who hasn't been on line recently. I have to admit that Ella isn't insured for third party damage due to her aggression issues (even though she's small and everyone thinks she's gorgeous). To this end when I take her anywhere she is always on the lead and in situations I know she will be at risk I have her muzzled. Because I've seen such improvements in her behaviour since we got her I have been muzzling her less, but I am happy to muzzle her when we are in the classes if it gives everyone some comfort.
Dan McK

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We dont have any of our dogs insured, and to be perfectly honest have no intention of getting them insured.

Does this mean we will be excluded from training classes?
Jack

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I admire your honesty dan! Very Happy

Currently none of mine are either but that's solely due to financial reasons. ALL "luxuries" have out of necessity been curtailed. But I STILL have my plastic so if anything untoward happened TO or BECAUSE of mine naturally I would sort it out. Smile Also they are getting to an age where it's becoming too expensive and almost impossible to Insure them. Their breed is against them too Evil or Very Mad
Janis

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just.quickly......need.to.dive.out!........unless.john.could.have.insurance.that.would.cover.us.all.and.incorporate.it.into.the.fees!
maybe.a.one.off.payment.a.year.when.you,join!!!
Jack

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PL Insurance should cover all eventualities at the club and I don't see a problem with paying a little extra in fees for peace of mind that your dogs are covered when there but this wouldn't cover walks not organised specifically by the club for paying members.
Gordon
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what the best idea is for the insurance issue, but I know I wouldn't like to pay extra on top of my own insurance. When running a business that deals with the public you have to have public liability insurance to cover accidents. That should already be built into the fees.
Personally I think we should draw a line under the subject and concentrate on our own dogs and the training of them.
Jack

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People are concerned about this Gordon so I think it's right they should air their views about it in order to try and resolve their concerns. I mean no offence to you but it's a legitimate concern for many so they're entitled to raise and discuss it here.

PL Insurance is not compulsary by law - TP Motor Insurance and EL Insurance is but not PL - it IS however morally/ethically right, and often a Contractural but NOT Legal requirement that PL Insurance be in place for any business.

TIP: Check your home Insurance policies - many have Personal Liability cover written into them and this COULD extend to cover your dog so you MAY be covered but not even realise it Wink that won't extend to cover your own dog for illness, disease or death but could cover any harm done BY your dog to Third Party Property/Persons/Animals.
Gordon
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was under the impression that with it being a Council run building that there would be PL insurance and any claim would be directed to the Council. As for all policies there will be exclusions and maybe we should be asking to see the Council's policy summary.

With regards to dog insurance it is up to the owners to decide if they wish to have this. This is a separate matter to Public Liability Insurance and as far as my own home contents insurance policy is concerned there is third party liability cover for my family but not for pets. That is why we have pet insurance.

At the end of the day this is John's business and it up to him if he wants to introduce compulsory dog insurance. We can only put our own concerns on the forum. I won't be asking to see anyone's policy. I'm happy with the training and support that John has shown me and my dogs. I have my own dog insurance and that's all that I'm concerned with.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: