Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
IN LIGHT OF RECENT EVENTS
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave Rowland
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well if you had a disco within the hall, that building needs to hold an entertainment license and insurance to cover that. So there must be something in place. I am not qualified to talk about anything like that.
shirley c

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with Gordon and I am not thinking of insuring Luka only because of what happened
I had been thinking it before, especially with Pixels recent spate of injuries, her bill for the lump and medication was £130 which I dont think is mega expensive and most policies have £100 excess anyway so I would not have claimed for that, but I think 1. with Luka being pedigree and more potentially going wrong, (remembering I watched my mum nurse her last ridgeback who died at 9yrs) and 2. probably his vet bills would be much higher and obviously now this his just decided it for me.

I wont insure Pixel and def not Moya and Scooby as they would not be covered for much now anyway, and who would steal 2 geriatric ex hunters, its younger lurchers who are targets for theives Rolling Eyes
Jack

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Rowland wrote:
well if you had a disco within the hall, that building needs to hold an entertainment license and insurance to cover that. So there must be something in place. I am not qualified to talk about anything like that.

You're right Dave the Councils' PL Insurance would be Property Owners Liability and would cover the Building/premises only not the activities that occur within. Any business operating within the building/on the property would need its' own Insurance to cover it's own activities and risks.

It's up to you all what you do I'm simply offering a little input as to the technicalities. You're all friends as well as co-members and I'm sure if anything occurred again you'd sort it out amicably again. Smile
Ann, John JJ and Kyle
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dexter does have 3rd party liability insurance within his pet insurance and like many of you I would be happy to take that to training. However I feel as long as everyone undertakes their moral obligation to pay for damages done by them, their pets or children, how they arrange their finances to do so is a personal thing outwith any legal obligation. In the same way that some people choose not to have household contents insurance and run the risk and suffer the financial consequences that those people in Towcester suffered last year, and some people go on holiday without travel insurance, those people who have pets can choose to not take out pet insurance.
None of us like to see any damage or harm done to things that we hold dear to ourselves, and in many situations financial compensation does not make up for the harm done. In saying that i personally would not like to make a decision based on finances were it to come to it for my dog or children's medical management and therefore choose to have insurances in place.
In an ideal world all dogs, children and adults would cause no harm to each other, but in the real world for whatever reasons this is not the case. The best we can do is hope that people like John and the club work together to make our own environments as safe as possible for ourselves and our children and give whatever support and training is required to allow others to do the same.

Therefore I fully agree with John that all dogs outwith the trainer's instruction should be kept on leash whilst at club.
I will continue to take my children to club, as I feel strongly that they need to learn to respect dogs for the animal that they are, and will continue to close monitor them in the hall. (dog and boys)
As John once said to me, those dogs who have a greater need from training classes than those who behave better and therefore should not be ostricised from training. Something that others in the club have experienced at first hand at clubs they have previously attended.
I have yet to decide whether I can supervise both boys and dog on open walks without their Dad being with us following Dexter's loss of confidence around other dogs and will see how this pans out. We as all of you learn from all events that happen around us and make our own decisions accordingly. Those of you who still have concerns should express them as discussion often aids decision making. There has always been plenty of support on here for all members and I hope that will continue.
Jack

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely said Ann Smile

So long as I have my plastic I'm happy - that's my emergency protection but let's face it - I'd sell my soul to keep my lot safe and happy - that goes for their health and well being too. None of mine would EVER suffer so long as I had breath in my body.....nor would any they may have done harm to. I'm so strict with them mind and about the things I expose them to, taking so few risks that I couldn't forsee anything dodgy occurring that could be theirs or my fault....then again accidents DO happen so best that I stay alert and prepared Cool
Claire/Mark

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack wrote:
Lisa's right Shirley - you will have to pay an individual premium for each dog but if you have them on one policy you may well get a discount. Wink

You may however wish to think of Insuring Luka seperately......not as a result of what has happened I hasten to add but based on his breed ALONE. It costs more for certain breeds to be Insured - the traditional "fighting/working/dangerous dog" types, according to Insurers statistics and not my own feelings. My 2 girls are classed in that bracket but Sykes isn't (as he's a cross breed he's considered a mongrel whereas my girls are classed as pedigree fighters Evil or Very Mad despite the fact we've never had a single issue or incident with them) . IF you Insure all the dogs together the Underwriters may LOAD the entire policy rather than allow a discount so look into that carefully before committing Smile

This also happens with Tara's insurance due to breed Twisted Evil We pay £45 a month for our two but that's due to the breed of Tara and most insurance companies are the same with certain type of breeds Evil or Very Mad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: