Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Please tell me he'll grow out of it!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maureenmcl
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: Please tell me he'll grow out of it!!! Reply with quote

Hi

Guinness at the moment thinks he is Alan Titchmarsh Rolling Eyes and my garden looks like giant mole has attacked it holes everywhere. No matter how many times I fill them in or how often I tell him NO he just keeps going back and digging again. I know pups do this but has anyone any tips to speed up the process of getting out of this stage or worse is this a permanent state of affairs? Shocked
Janis
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maureen.....my.inca.was.like.this.and.i.am.happy.to.report.she.will.be.3.in.september.and.no.longer.indulges! Very Happy .......
however......just.this.morning.echo.my.yo9ungest.who.is.now.7.months.has.discovered.this.joy.and.i.now.have.a.
garden.that.has.mounds.that.look.like.mole.hills!............the.joys.of.puppyhood! Rolling Eyes
Jack

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Maureen........he'll grow out of it Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

My Sykes was a typical Terrier - blooming AWFUL digger - but he never did it in the garden....just in the house Rolling Eyes the amount of lino & carpet tiles we got through in our old kitchen was unreal - and the little sh1t used to eat what he gnawed off Evil or Very Mad He DID grow out of it but to be frank I'd rather he trashed the garden than the home.
Lisa/Colin

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope he will grow out of it!

I haven't had a digger dog thankfully, but Hektor HAS excavated a rather large crater out in our garden. Luckily it is under a tree so no chance of losing Laura down it!

He has only done that one and hopefully he wont add to the collection!

Lisa
maureenmcl
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to know there is light at the end of the tunnel or "hole" Very Happy Very Happy

But was wondering I have heard the reason for doing this is that its a mineral deficiency and digging for stones or rocks etc meets this need almost like pregnant women craving crazy things like coal!!! You can see some logic in the argument but not sure it applies as I am sure I give a balanced diet Confused Confused
Jack

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, if it's a mineral deficiency they just lick concrete or rocks ABOVE the ground they don't go looking for them by digging. This is purely and simply the destructive phase all kids furry and human alike go through so set your mind at rest Wink
lynn 01

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Please tell me he'll grow out of it!!! Reply with quote

maureenmcl wrote:
Hi

Guinness at the moment thinks he is Alan Titchmarsh Rolling Eyes and my garden looks like giant mole has attacked it holes everywhere. No matter how many times I fill them in or how often I tell him NO he just keeps going back and digging again. I know pups do this but has anyone any tips to speed up the process of getting out of this stage or worse is this a permanent state of affairs? Shocked

can I borrow him to help dig out some of the weeds in mine
Janis

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Please tell me he'll grow out of it!!! Reply with quote

lynn 01 wrote:
maureenmcl wrote:
Hi

can I borrow him to help dig out some of the weeds in mine
......only.you.could.see.the.benefits!!!!!! Rolling Eyes
Craig C

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bran is a bit of a digger. 'But', he only digs when he's bored.
I've pretty much stopped him digging in the garden by simply making sure he has some toys to play with out there.
One he can chew on, and one he can run around with, plus a tennis ball I can throw for him to chase.

Bran's Photo's
Ann, John JJ and Kyle
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This probably won't go down well with some. Dexter was digging the garden to get to the hessian matting when he was around the 7 month mark. I was sitting in the garden with one of the boys water guns happening to be beside me. Frustration levels rising at continuing to do distraction therapy with balls etc and shouted a loud NO at the same time as spraying him. One huge jump later and we have had much reduced digging since. Maybe once or twice and he is now 1 year old. Never had it beside me since and feel it would be inappropriate to set it up on the off chance he would dig. However summer is approaching again and the water guns are likely to be out so you never know. For all you boys with toys out there Yes it was the Power Soaker and No I did not go for the head shot mid riff only.
Jack

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't see who would object to that - it's water for chuffs sake!!!! Rolling Eyes

He was ignoring the "NO" I'm 100% with you on what you did - give him a shock from something that won't hurt him - Purrrrfect!!! Wink

Only thing is........some dogs LOVE those water guns and turn what WAS a deterrent into a HUGELY enjoyable game - BET you he does this just to pee you off! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
jackdeb

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maureen at least it's only grass my Kodi used to try and dig her way through a concrete wall at the front door Rolling Eyes

Debs
shirley c

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack, Luka thinks its fun and was speaking to Emily today and she says Tico is the same, little boogers Rolling Eyes but we love the darn things anyway Very Happy
Jack

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Yours too eh Shirley?

I've never used the water gun trick myself other than when we're having a mad play - my lot fortunately don't dig and if mummy puts angry voice on they go running for cover......wonder why? Laughing
charlene

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jackdeb wrote:
Maureen at least it's only grass my Kodi used to try and dig her way through a concrete wall at the front door Rolling Eyes

Debs

lmao Laughing Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: