Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Luka getting IT done
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shirley c
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:22 am    Post subject: Luka getting IT done Reply with quote

Very Happy
Luka booked in for his nut removal Laughing on Thur morning

A few new developments means we cannot take a litter from Daka so there is no reason to keep Luka entire, also it may calm him down a bit. I know its not a guarantee to settle them but it will mak eit easier with having 3 bitches in the house
steve young
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mylo is booked in for his nut removal on the 21st of next month. That's the earliest the vet would let him get done, he'll be almost 8 months then.

It's a shame really, they've grown into an impressive pair Smile

There are conflicting reports as to when the best time to get your dog neutered. Some say as early as poss, some say just as they reach puberty (about 7 months) some say wait a year as the lack of hormones will hinder bone development.

Considered getting him a pair of these Neuticals but decided against it:)

One of my mates suggested getting some steel balls inserted so that they 'clink' as he walks Very Happy
Pictures Videos
graceb

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shirley Im sure its for the best, cant be much fun for you when the females go into heat Rolling Eyes

Dexter's daddy (Spike) got his nuts removed a couple of weeks ago and his sister (Bubbles)got spayed as well. Spike was a nightmare as he only had one thing on his mind, he once escaped from the room while I was visiting and ran down the stairs and launched himself from half way down the stairs onto Dex Shocked it took huge effort from both my sister and myself to pull him off. luckily for Dex his aim isnt good and no harm was done.

For the moment I have no probs with Dex so he is staying intact.

Very Happy at Steve "One of my mates suggested getting some steel balls inserted so that they 'clink' as he walks"
Lisa/Colin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best thing for him if your not going to use him for stud. Best thing we ever did for Hektor, have had enough probs with his 'issues' without factoring in the hormones! I dont think it made much difference to his personality, at least it did stop the humping! Smile

Good luck for Thursday!

Lisa
steve young
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a letter in this morning from the vet about Mylo's forthcoming operation, just read it.

It's going on about the dangers of operations and specifically anaesthesia. Saying "the best way of reducing the risk is to perform a PRE-ANAESTHETIC BLOOD TEST. This helps to detect problems with the kidneys, liver and blood."

Obviously this costs money, £46. Before the operation i have to sign either option A (to go ahead with the test) or option B (to refuse the test).

The wording on Option B is as follows: "I have elected to refuse the recommended pre-anaesthetic bloodwork at this time and request that you proceed with the anaesthesia. I assume full responsibility for this animal. I understand there are always potential risks when using anaesthesia or preforming surgery on an animal.'

The wording on option A simply says: "Please complete the bloodwork you recommend prior to surgery on my pet. If abnormalities are found please contact me at this number."

Clearly trying to scare you into opting for this extra test!

I've never had to do this test before, i.e. when Sasha got done a few years ago. It seems entirely unnecessary and my cynical mind tells me they're just trying to rip me off, using my love and concern for my dog to try and emotionally strong-arm me into giving them more money.

Anyone else been offered this blood test?
Pictures Videos
Janis

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah.steve.i've.been.offered.it.lots.of.time.over.the.years.and.recently.on.my.three.girls.when.they.were.being.spayed!!!!
i.too.rejected,it,and.all.went.well.......so.i.wouldn't.worry.too.much!.......mylo.will.be.fine!
shirley c

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Pixel was in not so long ago for her lump removal, the vets did ask me if i wanted this done but I said no , but i also heard them asking someone else another day I was in with Pixel again for something else.
But we were never asked to sign anything other than the normal op thing that states that there are dangers of operations kind of thing, cant remember excact wording but its normal to sign an op thingy

Its to test their liver and kidney function and I just opted without as I knew she was as about as healthy as normal and I trust them, and will probably not get Luka done either
Lisa/Colin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Mylo is otherwise healthy and has no signs of kidney or liver problems, (unlikely as he is so young) I wouldn't bother, but its entirely your call. If my dog was getting on a bit I maybe would consider the test, in fact I specifically asked for it to be done to my old boxer Ollie when he was peeing everywhere towards the end of his life.

Vets are expensive enough, I suppose they have to cover themselves for anything that could go wrong.

I'm sure Mylo will be fine Smile

Lisa
Jack

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a standard disclaimer Steve. ALL anaesthetic carries a risk and even IF the bloods come up clear problems CAN still occur. I know of a beautiful PBT in America who had eye surgery recently. Her bloods were normal but she still went in to a coma during the operation. Crying or Very sad
She's recovering VERY well now thankfully and I'm watching her progress with interest and great affection, I feel I know her now I've read and seen so much of her.

Bloods CAN however throw up results that you weren't expecting even in apparently healthy animals. My thinking is this - IF the operation is necessary then it should go ahead unless the bloods give a VERY clear risk alert. I don't tend to have the bloods done BUT with the family of cats I had, who all had genetic health issues I DID have the tests done, they came back clear and ops went without a hitch.

Shirley..... I commend you and CAN state from personal experience it DOES calm down the territorial and aggression issues in BOTH males AND females. My Sykes had always been a placid boy and a bit of a late developer but he started to exhibit aggression and territorial behaviour then we got Ella so off they came.
My darling Ella (aka cowbag/ black bitch/Mardy Mare) was incredibly Alpha, still is to a point but again speying calmed that down a LOT. It also did away with the mess, the smell, the pain for her and the mood swings. She's STILL very Alpha but more predictable as I know her so well. Others would not pick up on her signals as she's very subtle and APPEARS to give no warning but I've got the little minx sussed and she gets away with nowt Wink

The issues don't just disappear mind. It can take up to six months for the hormones to exit the body and you STILL have to overcome years of learned behaviour but it WILL help. Cool
Lorna

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have our blood tests done but we are dealing with rescues.

Basil has his blood tests done regularly - before each blood donating session. When Poppy is old enough to donate she too will be tested prior to donating. This testing is free and is a great exchange for the blood donor.

Some think I am just over anxious Dane mum but I like to be as careful as I can.
steve young
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, never thought of dogs donating blood before!

Makes sense I suppose.

I used to be called upon to donate myself (being the rarest ABneg), but after one too many faints i was told not to bother coming back.

Might try again:)
Pictures Videos
JennyMc
High Post Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when Bear was sick I was asked about blood test & I got it as I would rather know and ££s were not an issue if it meant I still had my boy! wasn't offered it when ratbag went in to get dressed though.

Shirley hope all goes well with your boy! Aimee behavior is worse now she has been done although still had to get it done to stop her driving Bear nuts (no pun intended)
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only difference I noticed in Otto was that he stopped trying to get frisky with me. He's a friendly chap so didn't change his behaviour in any way.

The op is very straight-forward and after a couple of days it's like they never had em!
Emma Hardie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck! I was surprised how simple the op was when robbie got done - he was back to his old self the next day.

Frankly, I already cant wait to get Stuart done (+ hes only 12 wks old!) - he's getting them off as soon as he hits 6 months! He's already displaying some "male" behaviours!

Emma, KT the greyhound, Robbie the lurcher, Pheonix (Pisces) & Soho (Stuart Little Junior) the Chihuahuas x
greyhounds make greyt pets! x
www.gal.org.uk
shirley c

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Luka is fine and the vets were trying to get rid of him from about 1.30 today Very Happy he came out the anisthetic quick, then poo'd in the cage and with his muzzle off no one wanted to deal with him Very Happy so we were desperately trying to get allan to get him Very Happy

Big booger Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: