Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
eye drops

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Huey's mum
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: eye drops Reply with quote

ok so first prize goes to anyone who can tell me how to get eye drops into a 46kg dog?

At first i had him sitting waiting on a treat looking up at me and then i would pop them in. so now he knows its coming he's like i dont think so, stuff your treat. As soon as i grab the bottle he heads for the hills, well behind the kitchen curtains or anywhere else he can fit. i've tried hiding it till the last minute and then he's off, he tries to jump back for the treat and knows the range required for the drops GRRRR!

I don't want to force him and make him distrust us. I realise i'm going to have to work on this for a bit even the after the eye infection goes but really need to address this asap. its so frustrating i wish you could just say it's to help you, you big dafty, but he's doesn't get it Laughing

any tips would be welcomed

Frankie
kendal
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

easiest way is to get him on his side and pin him a little so you can do it, but don't let him just jump up as soon as your done, make a fuss of him and have a bit of a cuddle with him so he forgives you for it and sees it as not so bad.

another way is to have him sitting between your legs with his back yo you so you get s good look at his head. lots of praise before and after, sit with the bottle and give him treats so he doesn't see the bottle as bad.

both Gypsy and Inca have had conjunctivitis before so had to put drops in their eyes. don't think Ive don't it with Echo and not with Delta.

lesley
High Post Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alfie has conjunctivitis in one eye just now also.....thankfully he's a bit of a silly dog and doesn't care about getting poked and prodded so not too fussed with the drops. I agree with Kendal tho. Also make sure you take the bottle to him and make him sit and go through the process then praise and treat without any drops in so he doesn't always associate it with bad things. Prob a 2 person job in a bigger dog, have someone cuddle him in tight so he cant move his head and someone else put the drops in. Hope his eye clears up soon!
Huey's mum
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the tips!

I know pinning him would be physically impossible he's just too strong, even with two of us somebody would get hurt.

I've started giving him peanut butter off a spoon and introducing the bottle and not doing anything and then taking it away. hoping if i do this enough he'll let me get them in. i have the feeling as soon as i get them in one eye we'll be back to square one.

I saw another tip about wrapping a tea towel round his muzzle and popping them in really quickly.
michaeljohhsen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Administering eye drops to your pet is generally not difficult, but care must be taken to do it properly. We have made it easier by providing the following step-by-step directions of how to give these medications. If your veterinarian

prescribes eye drops for your pet, it may help to have one of the veterinary staff show you how to apply the drops to your pet's eye.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: