Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Do you want a dog or a stuffed toy?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> General Dog Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steve young
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:05 am    Post subject: Do you want a dog or a stuffed toy? Reply with quote

Great article this

Making me question what I'm feeding my dogs (Burns) and how I'm feeding them. Might try hiding little portions around the house and making them hunt (1 by 1) for it. Will read more about the raw diet on the forum.

Also re exercise, not sure I could exercise my dogs much more, out at 6.20 am for 45 mins and again at 6pm for 30 mins, every day, running (them not me) free across fields and woodland, rain or shine.

What are other's dog exercise routines?

Also, really like the idea of fitting in mental stimulation/training in during ad breaks while watching TV and making that the routine every night.
Pictures Videos
Lisa/Colin
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a great article, makes you think.

Hek probably does NOT get as much exercise as I would like. At LEAST an hour in the morning, after I drop kids at school, on and off lead, leaping about the woods and the Glen. If there is time later (and there is someone in to watch the kids), he might get another 15 minute on lead walk round the estate but that does not always happen and I constantly feel guilty for it. He doesnt seem affected as long as he has had that one decent walk a day...his behaviour deteriorates quickly if he doesnt get it.

I try to keep him focused on me when we are walking by throwing his ball, hiding behind trees for him to find me and also try to do a bit of training every walk on recall and heel work.

If the weather is nice I try to play with him in the garden a bit but I think the idea of using the ad breaks for a few mins training is a great idea, I think I'll have a go at that!

Lisa
Gordon
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also feed Burns dog food. It is excellent and has a lower protein level, which is ideal for non-working dogs.
Mental stimulation is just as important as physical. I love using clicker training to teach new behaviors. I also use cones to get the dogs to sniff out food etc hidden under them. Getting the to lie down or sit beside the cone the think its under.
Also why not teach them to play basket ball. Use an basket or bucket, and get the dog to fetch a tennis ball and drop it in the basket. Bit of fun on cold rainy nights.
Basic agility. Small jumps can be bought at www.newitts.com. A dozen cones and poles can be bought for about £25.00. The cones then used for searching. 2 uses out of one product.
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our older dog gets two big runs at the weekend ie up to 2 hours walking or with the bike and 2 x 30 minute walks a day.

We have a biggish garden, so they both run around the garden playing at lunchtime.

That keeps the big boy happy, but by Friday night you can tell he's needing a off-lead run - he becomes a pest. And by Saturday morning, he's bullying us out the door. Laughing

I can tell by his behaviour if he's getting enough stimulation - when he's had to be kept in he's a swine, but as he's generally very good I think he's getting enough, though he would take as much as he could get.

I hide bits of kibble around the house and the garden - both of them LOVE that game and didn't have to be taught it. Taps into their instinct.
Corinne
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hobbes gets 2x20/30mins walks per day, he's on lead for 1st part of walk and then rounds around park or fields with his ball. He also gets at least 2 big walks per week which is between 2/3 hours either from Stepps to Moodiesburn on lead or a couple laps at drumpellier or hogganfield
Lorna

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John gets dogs out for short while at 6am. I get them out at lunchtime for 1-2 hours round glen/loch/village/Torwood... They have 24/7 access to the garden. We have poles and jump and Hula hoop for agility practice in the garden. At the weekend we take them for most of the day to the beach at Carnoustie/Monifieth area or we go round Loch Leven... They like to have a run and a swim.
They are each fed Royal Canin Great Dane food for dinner, 1lb of raw beef mince or lamb for breakfast. Poppy gets rice pudding at night sometimes as she still is underweight.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> General Dog Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: