Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Kennel Cough

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amandawhitelaw
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:26 am    Post subject: Kennel Cough Reply with quote

Yoda has kennel cough. She is at the vet tomorrow. She has coughed 11 times today but no Flem coming up. I gave her benalyn cough mixture children. Anybody any other hints. Will she be OK. Is this life threatening. How long should i keep her in for. How long does it take to go away.
kendal

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey amanda, its not that bad, its only really a problem in puppys, old or sick dogs. you can buy stuff online that you give them to take away the symptoms. just keep her away from other dogs till she stops showing the symptoms.

amandawhitelaw

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kendal i can always count on you.
Jack

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently leaving a shower running on hot with the dog in the bathroom (NOT in the shower obviously!) so it gets nice and steamy works wonders. Turn the shower off when you have a good build up of steam and leave the dog in there for 15 minutes or so. It is said this eases congestion and loosens phlegm so the symptoms are soothed and pass more quickly. Never had a dog with kennel cough though so haven't tried this myself but might be worth a try? Wink

GET WELL SOON YODA!!!!! XxX
amandawhitelaw

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks jack the vet said he does not think it is kennel cough now because she only coughed for 1 day. She is not bringing anything up. He said to let it run its course and don't let her near any other dogs just in case. Better to be safe than sorry.
Trace
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I got Bracken from the Dogs Trust he developed Kennel Cough within a couple of days, so took him to the vet and I'm sure it cost about £90.00 as he had to be given a steroid injection and antibiotics.

He recovered quickly, however about 6 months later he caught it again, he wasn't in kennels so must have been infected by another dog whilst playing or greeting them.

Advised by vet to have him vaccinated which I did, however, yet again he developed it within a couple of months of being vaccinated.

I won't be getting him vaccinated for it again unless he has to go into Kennels, hopefully he won't need to.

If he develops a cough again I'll do the cough bottle and shower trick (not personally lol) with Bracken.

Trace Smile
Jack

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your Bracken must have a weakness for this bless, poor little darling. ANY innoculation is actually a weakened or dead virus of that it is supposed to protect against. It works by encouraging the body to arm itself and fight the virus off. Sadly if your dog has a weakness to it it does mean that they WILL come down with the illness itself, though hopefully in a weak strain. I think if he is prone to it then there's little you can do except treat every bout. I've never had the innoculations for kennel cough for my lot and thankfully they've never come down with it either.

Hope his body has built up SOME resitance but if he does fall victim to it again let me know how that shower trick works as I don't know personally anyone who has tried it I've just read about it online Smile

Fingers crossed Yoda is OK Amanda too. XxX
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: