Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Tess lost her Pad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
allie_jane
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Tess lost her Pad Reply with quote

Hi there,

I was wondering if I could get some advice.

Tess my 1 year old springer spaniel got an L shaped cut in her paw a few weeks before Christmas, this was stitched immediately, however the stitches split and on Christmas eve they did it again..

We did everything we were told and after a few changes of bandage as a few weeks they took the bandage off, unfortunately the unstitched edge of the triangle cracked and the pad fell off.

We have boots for her to ware when she's outside but let her walk about free inside the house, until a few day's ago when I let her out on a bare foot.. I guess it was too soon as the pink pad became grazed.. she's fine and it's not bothering her but I was wondering if anyone had any experience of this and how long it take to heal (the loss of the pad)

It's been 5 weeks now since she has had a normal wee life, very few walks, and a cone on in the house when left alone.. .

Thanks very much

Alison
Alan and Lynsey
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Allison,

sorry to hear this, i really cant help on this one but i did a google search earlier on ripped/missing dog pads and people seem to say the following.

1, stitches never work
2, rest the dog as much as possible (springer not going to be easy)
3, boot the dog when going out
4,clean daily to make sure no infections start

I'm sure there will be someone who can help, i know Steve with mylo is going through a paw webbing issue with mylo his Shepperd/rotti cross.

Alan, Lynsey, Meg, Peanut and new arrival Bella
Lisa/Colin
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Hektor had a weird pad-related episode last year, we never really found out what had happened but we think he might have walked on oil or brake fluid from the bin lorry. All his pads started to peel, leaving his feet quite sensitive and sore for a few days. They did eventually heal after a couple of weeks rest but its really hard living with a dog who is used to a certain level of exercise - coiled spring or what?!

He also had a really badly L-shaped cut on his paw a few months later. It seemed to take forever to heal, like you the Vet stitched it but it kept splitting. I think all in it was about 5 or 6 weeks. These things just take time...good luck

Lisa
steve young
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! 5 weeks is a long time! We're suffering and its only been since Friday.

Our wound is different though, still, the web gets put under a lot of stress too.

Mylo has skint the pad up next to his dew claw a couple of times after sliding on rough ground at full speed. Didn't cause much concern though as he doesn't walk on that pad. He didn't bother.

Good luck!
Pictures Videos
allie_jane
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been pretty tough - she is usually such a lively outside kind of dog - it's so sad to see her not even get up to greet us when we come in.. I think she's a bit depressed.

3 weeks ago we took her to a vet up north while on holiday to get her dressing changes.. for some reason the vet didn't put any padding under her dew claw so when the dressing came off 4 day's later her claw was infected (we thought she was going to loose it for a while).

It's getting better but she has to have a cone on when we are not with her which is just adding to her depression.

I bought a pair of the tuff shoes for her.. unfortunately it lasted 15 mins before it got lost in the undergrowth, that's £25 I'm not going to see again..

I can't wait till she can run about again outside and have some freedom inside, I know it's all for her own good but I feel so guilty about it all.

Allie xx
Louise13
High Post Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

get her a pair of boots the mushers use...they run at up to 30-40mph and don't lose them
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you give me the type of boot please.. I'm guessing this will be long term (at least another month or so) so I'd love to get something good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: