Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Retired Bitch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laura-Anne
High Post Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: Retired Bitch Reply with quote

Hey all,

Looking for a bit of advice. I'm considering taking on another dog. I've found a miniature schnauzer who i love, but shes a retired bitch. Has had her 3 litters and is 6 years old. Was just wondering if this may cause her complications in later life? The breeder doesn't want her to continue to be breed so i will be getting her without papers but i would intend to get her spayed anyway. The breeder seems nice enough but i cant tell if they're a puppy farm either Sad I believe this is she with her pups [web]http://www.dog2sell.co.uk/ads.php?hid=27 [/web]

There's another dog I'm interested in as well so I'm trying to weigh up between the two.

Thanks

Laura
Janis
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

laura it's up to you but also take into consideration that spaying a bitch is around the £160 mark depending on the size of the dog.
Margaret J
Site Addict

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,

well from what i know puppy farms do not retire their bitches !!!! well not in this way !!!

however, amongst the breeders i know if you are retiring a dog they generally spay her as part of the deal!!!!! to ensure she cannot have any further litters ... .but provide you with the KC papers !!! .

. . as you know you can breed and sell pups on without papers so withholding the papers is no guarantee they will have no further litters.

i would be suspicious if they withhold papers as this could mean that in fact they use papers for other dogs ??? or sold on to so called puppy farms or anything really. . . i am very wary of this as the papers should be of no use to them so they should give them with the dog!!!!

if they don't give you papers then the dog will never be registered in your name!!!

anyway just something to think of !!!
Laura-Anne
High Post Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats exactly the sort of info i was looking for thanks Margaret. I've mentioned to him already that i intend to spay her, so may speak to him regarding that if i choose to go ahead. He says he has their papers and i can see them he just doesnt want to give them to me incase i breed. Or i can buy him off them which i definitly wont be doing.

Janis, yeh itll need to be something i look into, have the money at the moment but depending on if i do go ahead ill need to make sure i have the money then.

Thanks for your help guys
Janis

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

like margaret says most farms don't retire bitches......i can only speak from experience of where my girls came from.....sylvia spays her bitches prior to finding them new homes which i approve of.
shirley c

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you if you decide to go with her Smile min schnauzers are fab wee dogs Very Happy
Laura-Anne
High Post Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks shirley. Smile

Yeh id say it definitly makes more sense than witholding papers. This is there first girls breeding so first time hes selling older dogs. Will propose this to him and see where it goes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: