Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Wetting the bed/food question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SamanthaB

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: Wetting the bed/food question Reply with quote

Hi I wonder if anyone can offer me advice/opinion/insight; Belle (19 weeks) has been toilet trained since about 11/12 weeks. We had a few accident in training one being when she wet on our bed. A few days ago she was lying on the bed with us after a long walk, she stood up and weed on the bed Shocked
After I washed and dried the duvet at the first opportunity she got on to it and spun around as though she was trying to get comfy and did a tiny wee wee. Confused
On each occasion she has been to the loo. I will take her to the vet to check its not an infection. Just wondered if there could another reason...any thoughts?

Also am I a bad owner feeding her wet and dry food mixed? She doesn't seem to like dry on its own.

Kind regards

Samantha
kendal
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

might be a good idea to ban her from the bed, she is most likely she is marking the bed.

however if she didn't squat when she peed then that might mean that there is a problem bitches don't normally stand and pee.

let us know how she gets on.

alice and susan
High Post Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Yeah I agree with Kendal most likely she is marking her territory....

Alice,Susan and Tia

SamanthaB

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, its not a urine infection. So I think we will discuss crate training see how everyone feels about it.
Janis

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am a big fan of crates for dogs and have used them for over 25 years.

i see the crate as a positive thing and never used as a punishment. you generally find dogs like crates as they see it as their own space very much like a childs bedroom.

i always leave my crate door open during the day and more often than not one if not two of my dogs choose to go there of their own accord. while out i pop them in for their own safety. they cannot chew cables etc while i'm not there.

but i stress it must not be used as a punishment area.....make it a good place for the dog! hope this helps!
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crated both our dogs and one was house trained immediately, the other one took longer. Although he did have an infection a couple of times.

We halved the size of the crate so he couldn't pee on one side and lie on another. Gradually made it bigger as he got bigger.

Younger one is still crated at night and when we're out.

Washing the bedding won't always get rid of the smell - so spray the bedding with special product first. We also only gave him a towel to lie on a few times - easier to clean. he got comfier bedding when he stopped peeing on it.

Limit liquid - we didn't let ours drink after 9-10pm....made sure they were dry over night. Obviously revise this if it's been a hot day but generally ours aren't running about by then and have taken on enough liquid for the night.

If you catch her doing it...say uh uh and stop her in the act and put her outside and say pee pee. and make a fuss when she does it. If you don't catch her, ignore it...but always praise pee pee outside.

But mostly it's just patience...they grow out of it in the end. Our younger dog was a nightmare but he got there.
Megan
High Post Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Wetting the bed/food question Reply with quote

Agree with everyone else on the bed/crate part

SamanthaB wrote:
Also am I a bad owner feeding her wet and dry food mixed? She doesn't seem to like dry on its own.

All three of ours as puppys got some wet mixed in with their dry. We got all three when they were around 7 weeks old... Rose got it mixed til about 4/5 months I think Kodi was about the same and Z was on dry alone by 3 months I believe.. We over the course of 2 maybe 3 weeks weaned them off of getting the wet mixed in by putting less and less in each day til there was none.

The dry food should contain everything she needs (depending on what brand you use) so sounds like she is just being picky, some people would suggest putting the dry food down at the meal time without any wet mixed in and giving her 15/20 mins to eat it then take it up if she won't eat it and then put it back down at the next meal time and again give her 15/20 mins and take it back up if she doesn't eat it for a day maybe 2 (wouldn't personally do it for more than 2 days) and she will get the idea that the dry is all that is on offer.

I say some people as we haven't had to do this with ours so no idea how well it works...Ours are pretty good at eating whatever food we put down for them, especially Z he will eat anything... They do prefer Arden Grange over other dry foods though and the older two have been on it for about 18 months now (Z about 9 months as he had a 15/18kg bag of other stuff from the breeder to get through first) and all do great on it.
What brand is she on?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: