Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Hello
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Say Hello To Everyone
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sharon Falconer
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Debbie.
My name is Sharon. I have 3 cats, a recently acquired stray kitten and a German Shepherd who has major nervous aggression problems. I can't say "don't take the dog" because I've been in the situation where I knew I shouldn't but did. I love her to bits and wouldn't change her for the world but she is hard work! Alot of people have said to me "why don't you just get her put down?"
This is not an option but believe me there are times when I am completely frazzled and feel like I can't cope but they are getting fewer and further between now after a year and a half. I know I am going to have many days like that for many years to come. I have 3 kids, the youngest being 13 now but still find it hard. What I would say to you is "Can you still give your kids what you do now and cope with a dog with anti social issues. It is difficult when they can't have their friends round cos the dog is a bit loopy. There is no guarantee that your pup will have issues but there is a reasonable chance it might. It's a big risk to take with young kids around. I took that risk though my kids are older. I am not saying not to take the pup but what I will say is think about how difficult it could be especially with a large breed and if you are physically and mentally able to cope with whatever comes with the pup. I am a volunteer with German Shepherd Rescue Scotland and have seen too many dogs from this type of beginnings. It is a situation only you can decide on which is very difficult once you have seen the bundle of fur.
I tend to agree with Janis but only you can make that decision. It has to be an informed choice. Knowing what might be the pups nature, can you still be fair to your children and the new dog because it may need more input than you anticipated.
I wish you well in whatever you decide
Sharon
Janis
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

debbie it's a real hard choice you're having to make but can i just make a couple of statements here..... firstly the female who has mum and pups, i feel sounds very selfish and just wanting this situation to be 'done' with..... not an animal lover as you and many others on here are..... and secondly one of my old favourites...... 'what's for you won't go past you'..... i live by this daily....there is a pup out there with your family name on it..... please don't be in a rush to try and do the best for this dog. in you earlier comment you mentioned QUOTE...

She basically says if I don't want him she'd get someone else to take him.

playing devil's advocate here if you DON'T take the pup then in finding someone else to take them possibly buys the pups more time with mum and it's siblings. the other thing that has gone through my mind is ..... and i'm not saying you should .... but what if you yourself contacted the scottish SPCA or the dog warden. it really doesn't sound like this woman has the dog's nor pups best interest at heart. they may also be able to give you advice other than your vet.

Animal Helpline 03000 999 999 | Scottish SPCA
www.scottishspca.org
The Scottish SPCA is Scotland's animal welfare charity. Our objectives are to prevent cruelty to animals and promote kindness and humanity in their treatment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Say Hello To Everyone All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: