Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Foster Dog

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> General Dog Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sharon Falconer
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:31 pm    Post subject: Foster Dog Reply with quote

I got a dog to foster from GSRS on Sunday. When I went to collect her, she was on the balcony of a 2nd floor flat. This is where she was kept 24/7. She is amazing. I couldn't believe how ecstatic she was at such a basic thing as going for a walk. She looked confused when I walked her out of my driveway and down the street. Then her tail started wagging. Then her whole back end started to wiggle and continued to do so for the half mile walk. (I thought that was enough for a dog who never got walked and was nearly double the weight she should be.) She kept turning to me with the happiest expression I have ever seen on her face. It must have been hard work for her. The most she had ever been walked was 50 yards round trip. Her nails are too long and she limps badly but still obviously really enjoyed the experience. I know I'm a big woose but had a few tears during that 1st walk and each time I think about it too. She had three half mile walks on Sunday, four on Monday and five today. As Cleo is Cleo, I'm taking things slow and walking them separately so my wee legs feel as if they are going to fall off. In two weeks time, I reckon I should have the proportions of a super model, I am walking so much.
She has a fantastic nature. She seems to like other dogs, has been in the house with my cats and was fine, and loves everyone, including kids. For what she has been through, she is amazing. She is 7 years old and is gorgeous. I am so lucky.
Janis
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like one very happy doggy ...... gave me a lovely warm feeling inside reading how she was enjoying her outings with you. i hope she finds a lovely forever home sharon and well done you for giving her the love and confidence in other humans!!!
Alan and Lynsey
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mind me asking the dogs name?

Alan, Lynsey, Meg, Peanut and new arrival Bella
Sharon Falconer
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As unlikely as it is for anyone from this area to know her (I had to travel a bit to get her), I feel it would be inappropriate for me to identify her or her former owner. There are people from many places registered on the forum and many unregistered who read the posts. As appalled as I am at the conditions I took her from, someone reading about her could cause trouble for her former owner because of her living conditions, even inadvertantly, and that is not the intention of the rescue, only to help the dog! The owner did the right thing in the end by contacting the rescue for help. I just find it so very sad that the dog had to live that way for so long.
Sorry, I won't post her name.
Teresa
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is such a lovely story about your foster dog. And what a joyful experience for her. Good luck.
Sharon Falconer
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My husband Stuart's job moved down to Portsmouth 7 or 8 months ago and he spends from Monday morning till Friday night down there. Each weekend since mid July when the weather has been ok, he has been leveling the bottom part of our garden and building a kennel with run for fostering. He has worked really hard on it and as a result, we now have a 8ft x 4ft kennel with a hatch for the dog to access a 5ft x 16ft run. 1 week ago it was finished and we now have our wonderful foster dog. She spent Sunday, Monday and Tuesday night in the kennel but has been in the house since 5.30 pm last night. She is huge, dirty and smelly. She badly needs a bath and brush up but that is a job for the weekend. It's definitely a 2-man job. My house smells lovely a the moment Exclamation Confused
She seems so contented though, I didn't have the heart to put her back in the kennel. When Stuart comes home tomorrow night he will have kittens. His last words when he left Monday morning were "Whatever you do; Do NOT let that dog in the house until she has had a bath!"

Oh well, we've been married 21 years. He should know me by now!
Cat.David.and.Dexter
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awh Sharon, makes me tear up a bit too! Bless!
David and I have now signed up to volunteer with the rescue so looking forward to our training.
Sharon Falconer
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is great Cat. You will both love it. It is a great feeling to know you are making a difference to the lives of these amazing dogs. Sometimes it can be a bit difficult and emotional but so so worthwhile.
Elaine3011

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sharon

What a lovely thing to do and I am sure your husband will forgive you for letting her in the house.

My husband and I have just applied to adopt through GSRS now that Kadey is coming up for a year old. We have always had two shepherds but this time round would prefer an older dog.

Good luck with your foster girl

Elaine
Elaine3011

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well we will not be adopting from GSRS as they will not place a rescue bitch with another bitch.
Sharon Falconer
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foster dog has now been bathed and my house smells so so much better! I cannot believe how relaxed Cleo has become with her. Ok they are not bff's yet but they will lie down and sleep together with a pet gate separating them. Cleo still has her moments with her but both Stuart and I are so impressed with how well Cleo is coping
Cat.David.and.Dexter
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad Foster Dog is settling in! I'm sure Cleo will be bff's before long....trading bones, accessories, grooming tips...!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> General Dog Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: