Google Search
Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Return of the dark nights=return of Dexter's bad behaviour!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cat.David.and.Dexter
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:24 pm    Post subject: Return of the dark nights=return of Dexter's bad behaviour! Reply with quote

Hello,

Needing a wee help and advice with Dexter! With these dark nights I'm forced to walk along the street as opposed to the fields or farm roads I always walked with Dexter.

He does not like walking on his lead very much having been used to off lead walks where about 95% of our walk is rural and he can have a run. His recall is fab as a result but lead etiquette leaves a bit to be desired!

He really never liked meeting dogs or people when he's on the lead. That said, it's normally no problem as it's really only at night he really doesn't like people when it's dark but, of course (stupid seasons!!) dark nights are a plenty and my dinner time walk means we ALWAYS meet people coming off of buses on their way home.

I'm getting a bit stressed about it as he's back to doing that try and nip you from behind behaviour we had at the start of the year when he was a pup so when said person walks past he all of a sudden lunges at the swinging hand. I thought he might've grown out of it with the puppy nipping stage but it seems not.

This last week I have tried to manage it by holding him close and passing the person with him on the other side of me but I'm worried incase I'm "feeding" his anxiety as he doesn't like this either. He also tends to try and lunge across in front of me and we end up in a clumsy trip state! I then tried holding him close and having him on the persons side as, anyone whose been in Dexter's class will know, he does not like people near me so I thought maybe that was it but it didnt make a difference.

Really I'm at a bit of a loss as, because of where we stay, we've fields and farm round on all side but one where it's all bus stops with people!!! Tonight I tried a ninja style approach past walls and corners to check all was clear before proceeding (I may have looked a bit like that guy in It's Me or the Dog video I posted the other week and clearly that was not a great look)!!!

I actually think we either need light nights all year round OR people should just not use buses....unreasonable?! me?! never!!
Sharon Falconer
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cat
If Dexter is lunging , I can recommend the Dogmatic head collar. It doesn't ride up into the eyes like others do. I walk Cleo on that and a prong collar just in case as I don't want her to have a go at anyone. She is so controllable on them. I only muzzle her for training class and when she and Tubbs are socializing. I don't know if Cleo's size of Dogmatic would fit Dexter, she is a size 3, but if it did, you are welcome to borrow it and try it for a week to see if it might help Dexter. Cleo hates it but it does make walks even easier and more controllable than the prong collar alone. I use a halti training lead as I can attach it to 2 collars. I also have a halti head collar if you want to try it. Sometimes it is easier trying out things before thinking of buying.
I am sure Dexter will make good
Cat.David.and.Dexter
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sharon,

I'd kinda been put off halti's as my cousins dog had developed bad sores and recurring sinus problems because it had rubbed against his eyes and nose. If you think it might help though I'd give it a try as it's me alone that takes him at dinner time (David works afternoon-night so he's not in) and I'm petrified in case he hurts someone else or indeed me! If we could try it that would be fab. He just doesn't like when he can't see people properly or be in control of his safety situation!

Cat x
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: