Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Barking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lesley
High Post Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:05 pm    Post subject: Barking Reply with quote

Since the barkfest on fireworks night, Alfie's been barking at every single noise in the house. Would be open to any ideas as what I'm doing isn't working???
Laura-Anne
High Post Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you trying just now?

I would try to de-sensitize him again to the noises. Start of small and reward good behaviour, ignore bad behaviour and build up to larger noises. I have a training cd somewhere that has all sorts of loud noises on it I used to play that starting off quiet then building up to full volume after weeks and would to training while it was on so they were more focused on me than the noises.

Hope that helps some. I would give you that cd but I dont have a clue where it is since i moved home!

Laura
lesley
High Post Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of those CDs but got to say never used it. Had the bangs and fireworks and thunder sounds full blast and he never so much as twitched!!! Typical! Will try givin it another go!

Used to be just when door went but since fireworks, any little sound in the house like the noise from the heating or someone closes a door sets him off. He has ears back and it looks more like a fear barking.

Just now I'm making sure when he does it not to shout at him or reward it in any way. Just walking over to him, sending him to his blanket which he does ok and trying to use a "quiet" command once he stops and rewarding him when quiet. Tried deterring him with skoosh of water etc in past as that worked well when he was a pup but no. And also if it's a fear thing don't want to make it any worse.
I'm also taking him to the front door, making him sit, opening it so he can see what I'm doing and knocking the door while keepin him settled but hes still freaking out a bit even when he can see me doing it! Again rewarding him when he's quiet.

He's definitely stopping quicker now. He stops as soon as I go over but can't seem to stop him doing it in the first place!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: