Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Why do dogs hate Postmen?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amy M

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leo loves the postie - lots of paper to chew! [Hence the letter cage on the back of our door!]

And how could anyone be scared of gypsy and inca for goodness sake? Now if it was our two i could see reason for concern given that they weigh about five stone each, but cockerpoos are like wee fluffy teddy bears!
Laura
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dogs love the posite, no surprise, have yet to meet a Stafford that dislikes anybody Shocked Laughing Well anything of the two legged variety at least ! Laughing
marcella

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Diesel dislikes him really .................. I think he just LOVES barking at him and stealing the mail. I think it has become habit for him to do this ....... and I need to break this habit or he'll drive us all mad! Confused Laughing
kirsty
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Why do dogs hate the postman Reply with quote

We had Dodge a white GSD (a rescue dog) and he has always had a 'maddie' when the postman came. It was ok at first he would grap the mail coming through the letterbox and toss it around. But I work from home and the mail is bulky some days and the postie has to chap the door. again no problem at first dodge would leap up and grap the whole pile of mail out of his hands, actually the postie and I had a good laugh at Dodge's antics. One day I got to the mail before dodge and as the postman walked away Dodge thought if he couldnt grap the post, he would grab the postie instead - never actually bit him but on two occassions he was pulling at his clothes!!!! The postie suggesged that If I wanted to continue having my mail delivered, I get an outside box. We now have a 2nd rescue german shepherd, Bob, and they both go mad when the postie delivers to our outside box.

When We got bob at first he hardly barked and did not bother with the postie, now he is just as bad as dodge, this is what I dont understand???
marcella

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kirsty! Very Happy

Well ........... that has made me feel better Laughing I thought I had the worst nutcase ......... but Dodge is just as bad as Diesel!!!!!!!!!!! Laughing
Janice
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you manage to persuade him to leave the post alone? We're working on hoovers with Dale but its hard going. I hold him on a lead at a distance Mike brings the hoover out if Dale lunges I correct him and and say no if he looks at me and not the hoover I praise him. For a clever collie he's taking time to get the message We don't even switch it on let alone use it Shocked
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope...........getting to the post is the highlight of his week.......Murphy totally ignores the post but Diesel goes into a frenzy, we have tried everything but he simply loves to get excited about the postman......???????????
Marie & Norman Scoon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:16 am    Post subject: Posties Reply with quote

We introduced our Sacha,when she was a puppy, to James our regular postie and she now looks forward to his visits and gives him a great welcome!

My first dog when I was a youngster used to wait behind the letter box and try to get the posties fingers as he pushed the letters through and unfortunately she succeeded on several occasions, as in those days letter box flaps were very stiff. The only solution was to make sure the dog could not get to the door when the postie was due.
Marie & Norman Scoon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:19 am    Post subject: Posties Reply with quote

Posties= Possible Solutions

"Break the dogs aggressive habit" of attacking the post!!!

In our experience, you must "break the habit" of attacking your post.

We had to resort in the 50,s to having our mail delivered to a neighbor(for 6 months)as the Post Office alternative of us collecting our mail from their local sorting office(1 1/2 miles away). We eventually reduced the dogs interest through lack of activity but never completely eliminated her instinct to attack a potential intruder to her territory.

If you are unsuccessful in breaking the habit the most practical solution is to fit an appropriate "Letter Cage" to the back of your letterbox. Online these can be supplied by www.sdslondon.co.uk for £12 to £30 (dependent on size & finish) or www.locksonline.co.uk for £15 to £33 (dependent on size & finish), remember to check for additional post & packaging costs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: