Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
The dirty Dodger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> General Dog Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kirsty
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject: The dirty Dodger Reply with quote

Well I spoke too soon on Saturday night, praising Dodge for not having a go at another dog for two or 3 months.

when we first got dodge he used to meet up with the lovely pup around 10 months old, it was huge, a cross I think with some mastiff in him - but was brindle - really lovely unusual dog. They used to play really rough, a bit rougher than Kaiser and Dodge, then had not seen each other for about 6 months when they met up again. They hated the sight of each other at that next meeting and it was as well both dogs were on the lead, myself and the other owner were having to use all out strength to keep the dogs from each other.

This morning the dogs had just jumped out the car and ran into the woods at broadwood loch, when I saw this other dog with the man instead of the woman who usually has him. I warned him that my dogs were about off lead and that Dodge and his dog did not get on.

Dodge had caught sight of this dog, and came flying out of the woods, made a beeline for the dog and had a real nasty go at him, the dog was on the lead, and he just would not let it go, both dogs are going nuts and dodge would not listen to me teeth bared fur flying stuff.

Feeling really low as thought he had lost that aggression - but its obviously still lurking under the 'nice
Dodge'. I think he is getting a little bit too big for his wee boots, he has been having a growl at a few folks recently - must sit on him. I would, but too frightened he would take a chunk oota ma bum.
shirley c

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The site I go on sometimes called Flying Dog press, the woman on there always says. Dont expect your dog to like every other dog they meet, unless you can like everyone you meet too, it just doesnt happen, sometimes they just dont like one particular dog and there is really nothing you can do to change it.
Sometimes its just a dominance thing and you can change it with working with the other dog and owner, it may be just one of those Dodge things he may just not like this dog for some strange reason we will never know
marcella

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: The dirty Dodger Reply with quote

kirsty wrote:
I would, but too frightened he would take a chunk oota ma bum.

In that case I will offer to sit on him .............. I could do with losing a few chunks oota my bum!!!!!!! Laughing
There is a dog up this way that when either of my two see it, especially Murphy, we have to get a good grip of the lead. They HATE it. It's a dog that wanders on it's own, never an owner around, and for whatever reason the boys get really upset when they see it.
Like people dislike some other people, dogs are bound to dislike other dogs too.
If there were no injuries I wouldn't be too upset. Just let Dodge know he's a bad boy and that your angry (which I'm sure you did Laughing ) tell him who's boss and don't get yourself stressed.
Karen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirsty dont feel down onward and upward so to speak, I have been there so many times myself and at end of day they are dogs not robots and we wouldnt have it any other way, you know Dodge might just have realised that this young chap wasnt a pup any more and was showing his dominance to prove he was top guy, there two collies beside me that both my guys hate the sight of and I just walk the other way and save any confrontation as both have had a go at my boys so it is handbags at dawn in Bonnybridge.
kirsty

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your posts guys,

just been thinking back, 10 months ago I would not have been so surprised or disappointed it was just part of daily life. So if he dislikes a dog or two so be it - I will try not to get down about it.

Karen your two seem so under control that I can not imagine them doing handbags a dawn. Much the same for Murphy and Diesel.
marcella

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirsty wrote:
Much the same for Murphy and Diesel.

I could hear you laughing as you typed that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Karen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh Kirsty you had better believe it, my Brodie has had more than his fair share of shall we call them (moments), and as for Breno he has took off across the fields at the sight of deer and left me standing in the middle of a field looking like a right idiot, though to be fair they have got much better with age,
though my husband has been quoted as saying I couldnt train two hamsters never mind two shepherds, thats husbands for you...... but I keep on going because they are worth it....
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirsty....they are all dogs..don't forget that they pick up on subtle signals and body language that we as humans can easily miss......but to a dog these 'looks' are like a red rag to a bull (or german Shepherd Laughing )

as Marcella said we have a border collie that live close by who is often out on its own......as soon as my two smell it never mind see it they want to kill it Embarassed At this point even a prong correction is ignored by my two.
kirsty

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcella your boys are two well trained dogs - even if our own sweet murph has had his moments recently.

Karen, if your husband thinks you couldn't train hamsters, he has never seen you doing that synchronized stuff at the classes with your two - truly awesome
Karen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats very nice of you to say so, the big difference for me is to have fun if they dont do something right then I just try again, no big deal and I sure the boys pick up on me being calm(well I hope so cause thats what I aim for) years ago when I was up working in front of other people it was quite nerve racking now I just go with the flow,,, so enjoy your boys,,,
Lindy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirsty your boys are great don't stress as everyone says they can't like every dog they meet. Dora absoultely hates the Cocker Spaniel down the st and I have to go in the opposite direction if we see him, we have tried introducing them, letting her off the lead and ignoring her snarls as i talk to her owner but she still dislikes him so we just avoid each other, if she got the chance she would kick his ass I've no idea why but as John says it could be a body language that I have not picked up on suppose it's like some guy thats told you you had a fat butt you would want to kick his ass so I susspect he's given her some sort of dog insult and she is never going to forget it. Laughing Laughing Laughing
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lindy anna Jones wrote:

suppose it's like some guy thats told you you had a fat butt you would want to kick his ass so I susspect he's given her some sort of dog insult and she is never going to forget it. Laughing Laughing Laughing

But Lindy....what if you 'Like big butts and you cannot lie?'
kirsty

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karen, I try to enjoy my boys, i love them to bits. I have always been lucky enough to have easy dogs in the past. Dodge has been one of the biggest challenges of my life, bob is just so laid back and easy and Im not too fussed about him being well trained or not.

I probably get too uptight about Dodge's training and get it all wrong. But I think I saw training him as a way to dominating him and dont really enjoy it at all. He probably picks up on that and my stress in the class.

I enjoy them 99.99999% of the time but get stressed out training Dodge. - He is just so stubborn and wont do anything he actually does not want to do. he can totally ignore me outside regardless of anything I do and that makes me feel that I am in no way in control of him. This worries me as he still can be very unpredictable.

but hey as you say he is a dog and not a robot.
Lindy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But Lindy....what if you 'Like big butts and you cannot lie?'[/quote]

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
kirsty

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Brave man john
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> General Dog Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: