Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
D.A.P
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicola,

dog 'see' the world by scent first and foremost.....and they are supposed to live in the now...but mt two have long memories...........if they smell a dog they don't like then they remember !
Nicola

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I know what you mean John. Laughing Molly takes mad notions where she pretends she's scared of old, almost infirm dogs who couldn't do a thing to harm her....We meet a yellow lab regularly who is 13 years old. This dog and his owner walk religiously every day, come hail, rain or snow, and we have met them several times. The dog just walks along slowly, wagging her tail, not making a sound and always stops for a pat before she moves on again.....Molly decides, on occasions, that she's frightened of Skye. When Molly spots her, she stops, watches, "wuffs" and grumbles, her tail is down. Then as the Skye approaches, Molly swerves her then runs by her Rolling Eyes I just walk on and leave her, she soon comes running to me. Rolling Eyes Laughing

Now, this dog has never said or done a thing to her, nor has she had any bad experience with labs, she's just likes to make a drama of things sometimes. I don't humour her though. Rolling Eyes Laughing

Certain dog trainers maintain that dogs live for the moment and don't hold grudges......I don't believe that at all! Laughing They are more forgiving than us humans though, but they definately do remember things they dislike! Laughing
Karen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly dont know anything about this Nicola, but interesting to read about, this is one of the best bits about the forum learning more about dogs,,,
Karen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicola was speaking about not understanding help with firework fear, not memory comments just incase I confused you and John
marcella

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you've confused us all Karen! Wink
sharon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have used that in work and have found it quite good and the Behaviorist that works here also promotes it in certain cases. We also use the cat form as well for those who have cats.
marcella

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

think it would work on humans or would it turn John into a mummy's boy? Wink

It's something I have never comes across before but I'd perhaps give it a go if I had a problem and thought it could help one of my beastie boys. Since it is a non invasive 'treatment', you wouldn't have anything to lose by trying this.
marcella

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sharon wrote:
We have used that in work and have found it quite good and the Behaviorist that works here also promotes it in certain cases. We also use the cat form as well for those who have cats.

what kind of cases, would it work for separation anxiety?
shirley c
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it does work for some with separation anxiety as a lot of the American folk on the greyhound board im on have used it, again it has had mixed results, some dogs are better some no change, though I think you have to use other stuff to go along with it, like slowly leaving the dog alone, going to another room without it following you, behavioural stuff like that.

With 4 dogs we have been lucky enough not to come across it Smile just buy another dog thats my philosophy Very Happy

Mums beware when you say to your children, no you cant have a dog, when you have a house of your own you can have all the animals you want, like both mines and Allans mums said to us Laughing
kirsty

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicola, I know dogs are supposed to 'live in the now' but they definitely remember bad experiences. Dodge freaks out if you touch him with your feet. He sits at the side of my couch and if I have my feet up, bring them down and brush him - he jumps up and growls and can snap. It is an instinctive reaction, he is momentarily terrified, his eyes go wild. I think he must have been severely kicked in the past.

Also like you, I had experience of him having a serious go at a particular dog last week. They do not like each other.

Don't know much about the D.A.P
marcella

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm convinced they remember things! In particular bad experiences.
Nicola

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcella wrote:
I'm convinced they remember things! In particular bad experiences.

Oh, i'm sure they do.

Now, who was it that they said live for the day and don't hold grudges.....Hmm...You know, it could have been Jan Fennell.

My dogs definately remember things!!! Rolling Eyes Laughing
Nicola

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirsty wrote:
Nicola, I know dogs are supposed to 'live in the now' but they definitely remember bad experiences. Dodge freaks out if you touch him with your feet. He sits at the side of my couch and if I have my feet up, bring them down and brush him - he jumps up and growls and can snap. It is an instinctive reaction, he is momentarily terrified, his eyes go wild. I think he must have been severely kicked in the past.

Also like you, I had experience of him having a serious go at a particular dog last week. They do not like each other.

Don't know much about the D.A.P

Poor Dodge, you can understand his reactions completely then. It does sound as if he's been badly treated. Sad

I'm a bit unsure about trying D.A.P with Roxy now as i'm unsure about her start in life, I don't whether she had a bad experience as a newborn puppy.

It may be a lot of rubbish what i'm saying but it's definately something i've been thinking about regarding D.A.P.
sharon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DAP is just a dog pheromone and helps with any stressful situation and fear related problems. It will cause no harmful effects to the dog and you get it in a spray or a plug in for the house. I do think it is a good thing to try but it does not help every dog.
With Roxy I would give it a go it will do her no harm and may help her to be less anxious.
Sheryl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you think that this could help Keano become a little less up tight??????

(i write this post to anyone whos ever met Keano!!) Laughing Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: