Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Overweight Dogs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:30 am    Post subject: Overweight Dogs Reply with quote

Did anyone see the article on page 9 of todays Scottish Sun?

Killing dogs with kindness..........nothing kind about killing your dog Evil or Very Mad
Nicola

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't see the article in the paper, John.

...but here is it online:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article380539.ece

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't find it hard not not overfeed my dogs. Confused
marcella

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's so sad. And I agree with you there Nicola, it's not difficult to control what your dogs eat. In fact it's a damn sight easier than controlling what I eat!!!!! Confused Laughing
Lindy
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is scary not only are people over feeding their dogs they are over feeding their children in the same way allowing treat all the time and feeding junk food. It is cruel in both cases and can be fatale in both also. How can people not see how uncomfortable being overweight is on their children and dogs, they can't join in with their friends playing, they are not as agile as they should be, they have issues with going to the loo, and this in my opinion it is extreamly unsightly to see an obese dog and very sad to see an obese child as you know it is very rare that it is a health problem and generally a diet issue.

Sorry a bit of rant but this bothers me, the health problems related to being overweight are massive and not only is it that they are overweight/obese they tend to be sedentary wich increases the risk of health problems such as heart disease and diabetes massively in both humans and children. inactivity is the biggest risk factor in the onset of heart doesase and many other health problems that can be prevented to a certain extent unless their is a family history. It is not very well documented that inactivity is the biggest risk factor more of a risk than smoking!!!! so think of the thousand who smoke and do no activit6y. By activity all i mean is 30 minutes of activity on most days of the week and this can be walking, gardening, house work, anything that gets your heart beating faster, makes you feel a little warmer and a little out of breath. Doing this can reduce your risk of a heart attack by HALF so that is one big reson to get active and stay active. luckily for us we have a reason to get out walking so each time we are out we should be very proud of ourselves for making that effort to get out as it's abig step towards keeping healthy.

Really sorry about the rant am a bit passionate about this subject.

lindy
marcella

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But you are totally right Lindy.
I have to admit that seeing obese children upsets me. Emily was round at the chip shop one night a few weeks ago and whilst she was in a family of 3 came in. Mum, dad and a child approximately 7 years of age. All three Em said were 'huge', struggling to walk properly etc. Anyway, the mum asked the 7 year old boy what he wanted and he asked for (AND GOT) 2 sausage suppers!!!!!!!!!!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked How can any parent possibly think that they are being kind doing that?
Lindy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is disgusting 2 susage suppers when I was wee I got a bit of mum and dads with a slice of bread on the very rare occaison we got a chippy. How can people afford to feed themselves and their dogs like that? It costs a £5 for a fish supper in condorrat a family of 4 all getting one and you could buy a weeks shopping if you were very carefull and got only food for meals and made cheap meals like spaggetti or macaroni cheese and a good pot of soup. So many people do not know how to shop or cook on a budget and do not realsie what they could make for that kind of money and how healthy it would be for their family. By the time that wee boy is in his twenties he will have serious narrowing of his artories and be well on the way to heart attack or stoke and diabets. such a shame as he will do the same with his family probably if he is capable of having any with a diet like that.
Nicola

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcella wrote:
I think it's so sad. And I agree with you there Nicola, it's not difficult to control what your dogs eat. In fact it's a damn sight easier than controlling what I eat!!!!! Confused Laughing

You're spot on there, Marcella! Laughing Rolling Eyes I wish I could be as strict with myself as I am with them!
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem is a lot of people see their dogs as kids and treat them or feed them human food and just don't realise they are doing such harm. They are dogs - they don't need candy floss (who does!).

When I see a wee baby eating McDonalds or drinking coke out of a baby bottle I get so angry. Dogs and kids have no choice but to eat what they're given, even if they ask for something else or look sad.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: