Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
a trip to the vets

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kerry
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: a trip to the vets Reply with quote

hi there, we took koda to the vets today where they noticed a problem with him Crying or Very sad , he has an undecended testicle. it is stuck somewhere in his abdomen, it might appear in the next few weeks but if not we have to get him operated on to either neuter him or retrieve the testicle.

i was just wondering if anyone else has had this happen to their dog and if it fixed itself out or had to have the dog operated on? fingers crossed it sorts itself out, but we were assured its nothing life threatening at the moment.Smile other than that he is one healthy puppy Laughing
marcella

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kerry and Paul

that's not unusual .......... vets usually like to operate if it doesn't descend purely as a health benefit. I believe the likelihood of cancer is higher then normal if left unoperated. But I'm sure regardless of whether he will need this or not he will be OK Very Happy

He certainly looks a picture of health!
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago we had a black GSD,called Black.
He was minorchid......ie had one undescended testicle. He was never operated on although I believe now they prefer to operate. A slightly more complex neutering I believe

Koda is still very young and it may well correct itself..........it is a problem if the dog was to be shown as it is a big point loser in a dog.

Hope it sorts itself Very Happy
kerry

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah the vet mentioned if it doesnt apper we couldn't show him and should return him if we were serious about it. but we bought him mainly to become a family pet and to one day hopefully get into racing with him. So it was a shock when she said return him, he is ours to keep Very Happy no matter what problems arise with his health.

i let the breeder know there might be a problem, as the vet said it is a genetic problem carried by the father of the puppy.
marcella

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

too right he's yours to keep .................. he's way too gorgeous to hand back! Shocked
Very Happy
carol
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

I have had 2 dog with retained testicles. One was neutered at 8 months and is now a healthy 11 years old. He had a straight forward operation and just the usual recovery time of 10 days crate rest/ short walks on the lead. Of course the day after the operation he was raring to go. The other dog was neutered at 12 months, his operation was longer and more major as they were unable to find the retained testicle, he had 15 stitches instead of the usual; 3 or 4. His recovery time was slightly longer
stitches out at 10 day but another 2week lead walk. everything back to normal after about 6 weeks.
They recover really quickly but you just have to make sure they don't try to remove their stitches as they get itchy as the wound heals, some dogs don't seem to bother, I put a tee shirt on one of mine to stop him getting at his stitches, as he wasn't keen on the collar.

I hope that is of some help to put your mind at ease.

Carol
kerry

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow it seems that this problem is a lot more common than i thought. thank you for your reply, its good to know that if it doesnt fix itself out that there is a way to help him. than you again
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: