Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
RALF NEARLY GOT HIT BY A CAR!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:56 am    Post subject: RALF NEARLY GOT HIT BY A CAR!! Reply with quote

HI

was out walkin ralk tonite and he ran at a car again and the lead slipped out my hand so he ran into the middle of the road the car stopped inches from him!!!!! they guy inside was goin mental he walks next to main roads at least twice a day and he seems to have just got into the habit of running at cars think hes needin a prong collar wat do u think? its only a matter of time before sumthin happens to him becoz he is so determined to get those cars and he will take whoever walkin him with him!!!!! (and collies r ment to b smart)
kendal
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh no, when did he start doing this.
my girls have no road sense, i am terrified something will happens like the lead slipping out of my hand.

i bet Ralf wasn't even phased by it. Evil or Very Mad

Michael

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

he has always done this i suppose i prob didnt nip it in the bud early enough. no he completly wasnt botherd just went back to bouncing about as if nuthing had happend Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad hes a gr8 dog but theres just no pleasure walking him becoz if hes not pulling hes ringing his own neck running for cars!!!
Janis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

michael the only time it's too late to "nip it in the bud" is when he's been hit by a car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i think a prong would certainly be beneficial!

if a car goes past and he lunges as it, with a prong on him it should stop him in his tracks! as he tugs he'll correct himself and think twice about the interesting passing cars!

really pleased he's ok but i bet you got a hell of a fright!
Lindy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micheal this is a common problem with Collies becasue of their natural instinct to herd. I have a friends whos collie got knocked over doing this, he is ok but had a lot of vets bills and has lots of trouble getting him back on the lead out on wwalks. I would suggest you work on the pack order with him, try some games like the ball thrower and indoor games like seek to get his mind going. Janice with Dale the collie does loads with him and has taught him lots of tricks as they pick it up easy and love it as it keepos thier mind busy. A prong sounds like a good option, speak to John for advice on how to use it as it can opnnly be used for correction not punishment. You'll get there just persever and stay clam when he does that so he knows your boss. Laughing
Michael

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey thanks janice and lindy ur rite i think im going to ask john where i could get a prong they make me a bit nervous but so does ralf gettin hit by a car plus if john shows me how to use it and stuff ill prob feel much better. Think the idea of a ball thrower and games is good ill look into tht a bit more to and tryin tire him mentally to think ur rite need to show him whos leader bt his flippin well testin my strength and patience Mad and then he will look up at u an u cant b angry with him Rolling Eyes
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael,

in your shoes I would find somewhere really quiet.......and take a friend with a car, a tight collar or prong and a strong long line. A prong would be better.

The object of this is to teach Ralf that cars are OK however if he tries to chase one he will get the mother of all corrections..........there is no room for half measures here as this behaviour could kill him.

Attach the collar ( tight so there is no chance of him slipping it) or prong and long line and have you friend drive the car ( while watching Ralf) ......you must get him to lunge at the car so that when he does you correct him .....hard..........then repeat until he gets the message that chasing a car results in a really uncomfortable correction and is just not worth it.

The reasons for doing it this way are

1. You are in control........you know he will go for the car so there is no surprise.

2. You are in control.........the collar,line etc. is in place and you are ready to correct....timing is important.......as soon as he make a move for the car.correct hard.

3. You are in control........your friend in the car knows what is going to happen and can stop in time if needed.....the car should only move fast enough to provoke a chase from Ralf.

4. You are in control........and can repeat until Ralf gets the message.

I hope this made sense.

Lynn this is exactly the same as we will do for Bubbles and her chasing joggers!

It's a collie thing Confused
Michael

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

john

tht sounds like a good plan ive printed it off and i like the way everything is under control so theres less chance of me gettin flusterd. do u know how and where i can get a prong collar coz i think if im gonna do it with him i want to do it rite first time.
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use one of mine and I can help out.
lynn 01

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know just how you feel. Bubbles is a monster when it comes to bikes, joggers and kids running. I`ve borrowed a prong from John on a couple of occasions and what a difference.

John I have a borrowed prong collar at the moment and I`ve just returned from our morning walk. She has now decided so what I can still pull prong or not. She also drew blood this morning when she jumped up at me.
marcella

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lynn, they can pull with a prong by slowly increasing the pressure as they pull forward. But what you have to do is let the leash go slack and then flick hard and fast with your wrist to give a correction. A tug doesn't do it. It's timing to get the right result.
John will show you how.
lynn 01

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Marcella

roll on the training classes

we are both in desperate need of some training

see you soon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: