Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Dora the explorer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lindy
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Dora the explorer Reply with quote

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH just back from our walk tonight and for teh second day running Dora has ignored her recall and stayed over the other side of the luggie with a stick, today she even ran a wee bit away.........I eventually got her back by creating a big fuss with all the other dogs so they wuld bark and get excited and she eventually came to see what was going on and I praised her for coming and put her on the lead. I was walking with other dog walkers and know them quiet well and they took the mick yesterday and at the begining today until they realised that the railway was pretty near and if it took Doras fancy then she would run away as she was worried the other dogs would take her stick........I'm so mad I could cry I have been working hard to get her recall better and up until now have been doing great then I get a set back and people take the mick say hah ha you can't get your dog back she's really well behaved and it's sooooo not funny. I know they are only teasing but I'm trying hard and I could have done woth their help today and yeasterday and not taunting as it stresses me out and I don't stay calm which is the best state to be in to get her back. (Rant nearly over!!!!) Anway the problem is she gets sooo focused on what she is doing and is scared the pther dogs will take the stick away what can I do to stop this??????? I'm no longer going to let her swim for stick as I'm not letting this happen again I'll just take the long lead to let her swim at this spot? What can i do about the focusing problem????? I'm still keeping up the leadership/pack leader thing at home and it's working well she knows her place at home and knows that I'm top dog....I'm feeling a bit usless tonight so need some advice, I know that classes will help and really can't wait to get them started.

Rant over feel alittle better and know I'll get a bit of advice from you guys.

Thanks
Lindy Crying or Very sad
marcella

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dora has highly efficient nostrils! Laughing Picks up a scent and she's off into her own wee world!!!
How old is Dora?
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lindy,

the last thing you should feel is useless.......and that is probably more to do with the reaction of the others in the group....why would Dora see you as a leader to be obeyed in that situation.

She is a small dog with a large prey drive and when that kicks in for her NOTHING else matters.
Keep enforcing the recall........if possible always be in a position to correct if she fails to comply......( a long line and possibly uping the level of correction for non-compliance).

Try not to feel down, sometimes it's one step forward and two steps back.

On the walk tonight Buster disappeared for 20 or 30 minutes.......seriously spooked by something...really terrified when Jim got him back..but everyone helped look.
Lindy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers guys def going to use the long line more to correct some of this behaviour, Marcella she is 2 so still quite young, so I can still correct some of her problems which are not that bad by attending the classes.

Glad buster was ok
Sheryl

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lindy my friend welcome to my world!!!
My two stress me out all the time and when Keano had a good at that woman you sed to me!!!
"dont worry dogs will be dogs!!" and your right Dora was just being a dog!! You are great with your two wish I had your confidence with them, honestly they really are great!!!

Chin up and smile!!! Very Happy
Lindy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers Sheryl

I'm not having a good few days to honest and yesterday was just rubbish, hopefully I'll cheer up and chill out.

Cheers Lindy
Sheryl

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come with us tonight on the walk!!!
Always makes me feel a bit better!
Coz all I do is rant and rave at you lot!!! Laughing
Come out will do you the world of good!!
xx
Lindy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've agreed to go out down the rugby fields tonight....wish I could clone myself life would be much easier hope no one phones or annoys me today i might kill someone ..think I'm in one of those moods Mad

thanks Sheryl for the invite Very Happy
marcella

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lindy wrote:
I've agreed to go out down the rugby fields tonight....wish I could clone myself life would be much easier hope no one phones or annoys me today i might kill someone ..think I'm in one of those moods Mad

thanks Sheryl for the invite Very Happy

Lindy - you sound stressed today Shocked Everything OK? Anything us lot can do to help?
Eleanor
High Post Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Lindy

dogs can be so frustrating at times (especially in public)

and again so can people!!

we've all felt like you did last night, its part of dog ownership Smile , so don't beat yourself up

for now it's best that you keep her on a long line until you are able to really work on her recall, (I can go over this with you on thursday). If it's any consolation I had Brooklyn on a long line for a couple months solid last summer as once she got side tracked by a rabbit scent ( or better still a rabbit) she was off under the fence and onto the railway line. Allan had to try to catch her on the line which was pretty scary (squashed dog not a good idea). From time to time if she plays up I will put her back on it for a few days just to reinforce.

classes will help, but as you know dogs learn by association so she will become really good in class, but you will still have to work at transferring this behaviour to the outdoors where the distractions are different.

keep smiling and keep cool Smile

Eleanor
Lindy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcella I am stressed today just the usual , work, home dogs etc ... unless you can brain wash alan into doing some housework and my bosses into giving me a permanante contract then I'll just have to muddle along Confused I'll be fine in no time just need a couple of days off and a big G&T oh yeh and to win the lottery Laughing
Isabel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A big G&T solves lots of problems drunken Go treat yourself!!!!! Laughing Laughing
Deborah Hamilton

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lindy, I felt just like you not so long ago. Mishka completely deaf eared me when off the lead ( in the garden!) so because she had a run in with a car we wouldn't even attempt it outwith the garden.
However, perseverence patience, treats and a big lot of confidence and advice from John and others at the club we now let her off when we feel it is safe and she does come when called 99.9% of the time.

Just try to be patient. Remember everyone is here for you to have a moan or just offer help.

GOOD LUCK! flower
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: