Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Cuthbert and the vacuum cleaner.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gaelle
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Cuthbert and the vacuum cleaner. Reply with quote

How do I stop him eating the vacuum cleaner? Well not exactly it's more when the vacuum is out he barks at and tries to charge at it, that I can out up with/ignore BUT when he runs behind me and tries to eat the flex, that I can't ignore and I'm unsure of the best way of dealing with it. It SEEMS like it's attention seeking as he only does this if I've not reacted to rest of the behaviour but it's obviously dangerous and can't be ignored.
Janis

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crate him while you vacuum gaelle!............that's what i used to do when i had a dog years ago that didn't like it!..........after that every time i got the vacuum out he headed for the crate and never said a word til it was put away!

it cuthbert is trying to bite the cable it would be far safer for him crated!
Jack

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Rosie attempts to physically attack the hoover - she gets told "NO" in "the voice" and if I need to I back it up with a jab (Cesar stylee BUT I didn't get it off him, I've been doing it for years so HE copied me! Laughing Laughing Laughing ) to her chops or neck area to get her to re-focus on ME then carry on hoovering saying the odd "NO" when she regresses. She's not much bother now to be honest......FINALLY my little Dumbo is learning! BUT if I get the hoover attachment out Rolling Eyes off we go again!

Whoever said having dogs was boring? Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Gaelle

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janis wrote:
crate him while you vacuum gaelle!............that's what i used to do when i had a dog years ago that didn't like it!..........after that every time i got the vacuum out he headed for the crate and never said a word til it was put away!

it cuthbert is trying to bite the cable it would be far safer for him crated!

Thanks Janis, no way on this planet can I get him in a crate indoors (and believe me I've tried!) so I guess it's just going to have to be another room for safety.
Janis

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're the boss gaelle..........the pack leader!..............cuthbert should do as you say!

albeit you might have to start it off as a game to go into the crate but he is not in charge of where he goes!
jackdeb

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

God when my 2 esp Oscar see the vacuum they run a mile and hide in a corner Shocked .......Don't understand why as they have been used to vacuum since they were young

Debs
tricia
Site Addict

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HEY Rubys the same.. hates the hover!.. and I have hovered around her since she was 2 weeks old..???
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't work out why Otto was scared of the hoover until I caught the Teenager chasing him with it so he got an earful from me.

He's not scared of it now, but follows at a distance.

Gaelle, can't you get him in the crate with a kong? Thankfully I just have to say "in your bed" and in he goes. But in the past he got a peanut butter kong if he went in.
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take control Gaelle.......long line and prong......one of you on the end of the line and one with the hoover....correct hard and if done correctly for the rest of his life her will avoid hoovers..........going for the flex could kill him!
This is what I would do.
Jack

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Rosie has a penchant for hoovers too and will physically attack if I don't correct her (the hoover not me!). Trouble is Rosie has the memory of a Goldfish which means we have the same ritual pretty much every time I hoover Rolling Eyes If she's going for the front of it I use what I will call the "Cesar jab" to the neck/shoulder area backed up with the word "NO"! If she's too over excited to respond to these I stand the hoover upright and leave it running then walk at her, herding her to an area I want HER to be in, reinforcing the fact that it is MY hoover and MY space I am trying to clean. She gets the message but it's a laborious process and I often have to repeat it countless times but I NEVER back down because dogs only have to have 1 sense of weakness and they'll take great advantage of that Rolling Eyes

If I'm tired and just want to get on and can't be bothered "reclaiming" my hoover and my space I just shout at her to "GET ON YOUR BED" until she gets the message - if I do this she KNOWS without doubt I mean business and cannot be bothered with her game playing and packs up pretty sharpish.

God I sound like a right old shrew don't I? Embarassed But I promise THAT one is the most effective. If EVER I shout at them to get on their beds they ALL scuttle there straightaway because they know mummy doesn't usually lose her rag and they've never pushed me beyond that point.....usually they are guaranteed I'll laugh at them and good naturedly correct them but if "the voice" comes out they all run for cover Laughing Laughing Laughing
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, I am a great lover of "lie down" - whether it's his basket or just a bit of vet bed, he knows to go and lie there out of the road regardless of where we are.
kirsty

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't have this problem. Big tough dodge turns into a quivering wreck if I get within 6 foot of him with the hoover, so does a runner!. And I have to almost ram the hoover into Bob to get him to move his lazy ass.

Sounds very dangerous though. Common sense tells me, if nothing else, lock him in another room if you don't feel able to tackle him or as janis said put him in his crate
Gaelle

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzanne H wrote:
I couldn't work out why Otto was scared of the hoover until I caught the Teenager chasing him with it so he got an earful from me.

He's not scared of it now, but follows at a distance.

Gaelle, can't you get him in the crate with a kong? Thankfully I just have to say "in your bed" and in he goes. But in the past he got a peanut butter kong if he went in.

Unfortunately a crate is not an option as he has a phobia about it and despite trying over many months to get this sorted he will still not go in a crate indoors so one of the other options it will have to be.
I was just noticing actually I think it's the noise he objects to mostly as he's fine with it if the vacuum is just sitting quietly but when it starts to make a noise, that's when he starts to get upset. I bought on of those hair trimmers out of Pets at Home for trimming paws etc and he's exactly the same with that.
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Otto was scared of it he ran away from it, he didn't attack it. He tried it with the mop once, but was turfed in another room and hasn't bothered again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: