Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Looking forward to Sunday

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vikki

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Looking forward to Sunday Reply with quote

Hi all, I know I've been underground for a while - lots been happening. Providing there isn't a death in the family (my uncle is very ill, and expected to go any day) we'll be there on Sunday. Ela got her booster last weekend which is why I wasn't there as she was even happier than normal. Rolling Eyes
she is still a nark angry5 but she has improved loads since we got her. She's terrified of her own shadow, but is slowly gaining confidence.
Does anyone know of any good local (or mobile) groomers who are willing to risk life and limb for a gorgeous little nippy bundle of nerves? I desperately need to trim/brush her but am running out of fingers and toes. Embarassed
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try Baskervilles on 01236 824800 they are members on the forum and I know several other members use them.

John
kendal
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey looking forward too seeing you again and meeting wee Ela.

as for baskervills i would recommend them, Louise has done Gypsy and Inca. echo has still got her puppy coat.

Christine
High Post Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Vikki I use Louise Baskerville for Alfie my Lhasa Apso, he had a bad experience with another groomers, Louise is very good nd takes as much time as she needs with the dogs. Her first priority is the dogs at all times. Smile Smile
Jack

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh she's a sweetie!!!! Hard to believe that something so cute could be a little devil Twisted Evil

Good luck with getting her groomed - please post pics when she's looking all coiffed and even more beautiful Smile
tricia
Site Addict

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear Ela is doing ok.... hope to meet her on Sunday Smile
I don't know any groomers tho.... I strip my borders myself...
have you tried wearing a thick pair of gloves Exclamation
Vikki

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unfortunately her teeth are so sharp she can bite through gloves. She also got so stressed one time she actually got partially out of her muzzle and started biting through that too. At that point I gave up and let her calm down Embarassed but she's worth it. Most of the time now she's an absolute darling when we first got her we were told you could hardly even pet her - now she loves having lots of cuddles Very Happy
Jack

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stick with it Vikki. Not only is she stressed by the process but she's also trying to control you by biting you so she's trying to assert dominance. You can't give up on this you have to show her YOU WILL do what you need to and she needs to learn to accept it. Try introducing the brush when she is calm and accepting of cuddles start by stroking her with the back of the brush so she gets used to the feel of that and gradually turn the brush over so she is actually being brushed and not petted - do it very very gently and build up the pressure over time. Also leave the brush lying around so she can see it - don't let her play with it OR attack it or even guard it - just get her used to it's presence - it's new to her so obviously she'll be fearful of it she just needs to accept it and the fact that it will do her no harm.

By all means use a professional groomer if you need to but I do think you need to be in control of this so I would recommend you introduce the above steps whether or not you get her professionally groomed.

You are doing great with her and I have no doubt if you are gentle and consistent (but firm if she bites) she'll get used to this very quickly too Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: