Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Traumatic walkies!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Louise

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Traumatic walkies! Reply with quote

Hi again, had a problem with Bailey today, looking for some advice please Confused Thursday is the big day for getting out post vacs! Have been walking around the garden on lead with little problems, but today when we went round to the front of the house Bailey got really frightened started whimpering, tried to get back in the house, nearly pulled his collar off. Not sure what to do, as he was hit by a car when he was 9 weeks, don't know if he relates the traffic to that or if it is something else. Since the accident I have held him while sitting at the front of the house to get him used to the traffic and I have taken round to the front in/out garage etc several times with no prob. Should i continue to take him out and persist even though he is terrified of leave it a few days? I don't want him to be frightened of the lead or going for walkies! When we came in I kept the collar on him and played fetch with him, he seemed happy enough then Thanks, Louise
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps try taking him just onto the front step ...treat him and take him back in.....repeat going a little further each time so that he associates going out the front with being treated rather than anything negative......don't try to push him too quickly.

john
Janis
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi louise....firstly i would make sure his collar is not going to come off should he pull in the opposite direction of you!...i particularly like the half check http://www.petsathome.com/find/keyword-is-half+check+collar/product-is-V00204..... sounds like you are doing all right round the garden however if you are sitting with him on your lap at the front door while the traffic is going by it might not be helping him........if he is agitated while on your lap with the traffic and you are petting him and most people would do to try and clam him down in reality what you are doing is the exact opposite! instead don't pet him if he becomes nervous....ignore it and only praise when he is happy calm and possibly waggy tailed!

i fully understand that he might have a bad memory but you are going to have to try and overcome this with a happier event of going walkies be it past traffic!........try taking his attention on either a tip bit if he is food orientated or even a favourite toy/ball!

it will be perseverance and it will pay off in time.......and as soon as you come along to class he will enjoy the interaction of sniffing other bums! Rolling Eyes .....also look out for forthcoming walks and bailey will enjoy walkies and romping with a few doggy friends.

the bottom line is patience....and reward good behavior and ignore bad!.......we all make mistakes and still do as dog owners from time to time !.........we have the ability to humanize the dog and make things complicated for ourselves where a dog has simple understandings!
Louise

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for advice. I've been doing things gradually and he has been fine till now, even when holding him he showed no fear, been in out lots of times and he has always been curious wanting to go further than I would let him! The road was busy this am maybe too much noise? Will follow both your advice and see how things go, hopefully no more trauma for me or Bailey! Thanks, Louise
Jack

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I 100% agree with both John & Janis. Start as John has suggested and build as Janis led onto however whilst building his confidence take him out when the roads are quietest not when busy as you want to gradually build up his confidence and tolerance, your aim is to walk him safely and confidently with him enjoying it no matter what the roads are like but that will take time. Perseverance is key and YOU need to project a calm and assertive manner or the whole exercise will be useless - HE needs to recognise that you are relaxed and your aura will transfer to him so he takes your state of mind as his own and starts to relax and enjoy his walks as all dogs should. I think you do seriously need to consider a collar that you are confident he cannot slip or pull out of which will relax you further knowing that he will be safely under your control no matter what happens.

Good luck & keep us posted of his progress. Wink
Jack

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are things going Louise.....any progress on this?
Louise

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bailey has been going to classes for 4 weeks, now have no problems! He is happy to go out and can walk towards cars with no issues, I'm so pleased with him!
Louise

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bailey has been going to classes for 4 weeks, now have no problems! He is happy to go out and can walk towards cars with no issues, I'm so pleased with him!
Jack

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's fantastic news Louise - so pleased for you both! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: