Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Toilet Training Help Needed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Toilet Training Help Needed Reply with quote

Coco the little Patterdale Terrier cross that came to last weeks puppy walk is having a toilet training problem.....walks for hours and hold her poo in till she gets home and onto the carpet?

6 months old and has only pooed outside a handful of times...what can be done to break this habit?

All advice welcome.....the situation is getting pretty desperate!
kendal
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inca did that once she was a pup but sorry i have no idea about how or why.

Magz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you know if it is the same spot every time? I would try putting the puppy pads down going back to the start with the training gradually working way to the door .or this may sound gross but maybe even scooping up some on a tissue and taking it out to garden and try that way her own scent might work.
marcella

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margaret, the scooping it up and moving it might be a good idea!!!!!!!!!!!
Magz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my last foster had severe poo issues took us 10 months and we tried everything but someone suggested that and it worked still took a while, but you need to get the real strong cleaners to get rid of the smell in the carpet too otherwise you will still get the accidents.
Janice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know how well this works but knew of one dog who'd similar problem. They'd paper trained him so started putting earth and grass on the paper and then when he was used to that brought in turf and kept moving it towards the door. The idea was that he'd get used to using grass. Oh then they took the used paper etc. and put it outside where he supposed to go. But no idea how long it took. It was an older rescue dog.
Lindy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this sounds rotten but what about putting her right in a crate when she gets in then back out 15 mins later and so on until she does it outside then lots of priase etc. They could try this in conjunction with the putting the poo outside, also might be an idea to confine her to the kitchen or a room that is easy to clean up, i use the baby gate in my kitchen and the girls stay in there quite a lotwith the door open and the gate closed, it'slike a big play pen and when they get tired they go to bed.

Lindy
Sheryl

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it were me I would think about taking the poo outside!!!!

or when she comes in from her walks put the puppy pads down and leave her in the kitchen till she does it on the pad beside the door!!!! 6 months is still young....wont surprise you but the boys took ages at learning this aswell!!
Confused Very Happy

xx
Magz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked out some of my notes last night,
:use a long line and keep the dog with you at all times within the house so you can look for the signs when they need to go.
:as some one mentioned before crate them (as dogs wont mess in their bed)
:alway make sure you use the proper bio cleaners to get rid of the smells when cleaning up
:use the dogs own scents as guide for them to go.

Would be great to know if it is the same spot every time as I would say if that's the case its so used to going there as the scent is ingrained there and that would be the major reason. you can get great cleaning product from the pet shops. Very Happy
Very Happy
Fiona

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Margaret wrote:
:as some one mentioned before crate them (as dogs wont mess in their bed)
Very Happy

I wish this was true! Don't know how many beds we have been through because Star had pee'd on them! Not recently but in the past he didn't care if it was his bed or not!
marcella

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, I think what you need to do when house training a puppy is to watch them closely. When they wake up, take them straight outside for a pee because they always need when they wake up and keep them there until they do it, then loads of praise. When they are moving around the house there are usually tell tale signs when they need, you can usually see when they are thinking about it. Pick the pup up and get them straight outside ASAP and again wait until they do it followed by 'clever boy/girl!'

I'm not a fan of putting down newspapers etc........ I think teaching them to pee in a certain place in your house is just another obstacle you need to cross when you no longer want them to do that. I'd rather spend half my day in the garden with them from the word go and teach them that's where they do it right from the beginning.
Puppies get so excited when you give them praise, they pick up on it quickly if you have a bit of time and patience.
I know it's more difficult for people who have to go out to work and are not there for their puppy 24/7, if that's the case a crate is definitely the way to go.

I believe the problem in this case is that it's been going on for so long that it's a hard habit to break. Mistakes made early on have caused the problem to progress. There is no quick fix. Time and patience and if need be .......... buy her a kennel and keep her outside until she learns.
Magz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been there big style with my foster Girlie, she was a handful, she would mess in her crate she was very nervous so she would soil herself and roll in it too, very highly strung constantly needing attention, we tried everything believe me, she would do her business outside as well as inside, was a very slow process with her but we got her there in the end 10 months down the line. She managed to get her permanent home once she was all trained. Very Happy Very Happy
shirley c

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can devote a weekend and more the umbilical method was always posted on the retired greyhound forum I go on

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php?showtopic=396

edited cause I found the correct link Embarassed
Deborah Hamilton

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mishka would hang on too when she was a pup. It didn't matter how long we kept her out Sad
She would hold on until we got back to the garden.

It just took a lot of perseverence Confused Confused We always gave her a treat when she did eventually do something outside and she seemed to catch on eventually.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: