Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Fireworks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> General Dog Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShirleyB

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: Fireworks Reply with quote

Already hearing the fireworks go off, but not had a puppy to consider before. Before they start more frequently, any tips on what to do to prevent Ria getting stressed with the noise of them?
kendal
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is she even acknowledging them, if not i would say do nothing.

or you could try walking with her when they are on and just make nothing of it.

if anyone is wanting to use the DAP stuff i would advise you start using it now as it is something you need to build up for a couple of weeks before the event. its a herbal thing, dont know how effective it is as i have never used it but herd it can help but you need to build it up in their system or it wont work.

steve young
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helpful, sound advice! Check this out.
Pictures Videos
Lorna

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is some really good advice on Battersea Dogs Home site re fireworks. I use Camomile and Valerian to keep them calm. You can use oil or treats from Feelwell.

If you stay calm they will stay more calm.
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would ignore fireworks yourself.......if you react or even flinch the dog will pick up on that.

If your dog gets stressed the worst thing to do is comfort it as this just reinforces the behaviour.

Turn the television up a little to mask outside sounds.

I really feel for all the dogs that get into a real state every November and January because of fireworks.

John
Alan and Lynsey
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

on a fireworks note, my street has had its first animal death due to fireworks, there were alot of kid setting off fireworks yesterday and our neighbors king Charles called honey had a heart attack because of them, she always gets her self in a state, it was the same last year. she was only 5 years old.

Alan, Lynsey, Meg, Peanut and new arrival Bella
Lisa/Colin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a shame Alan...I HATE fireworks and think they should be restricted to organised displays only or at the least one night only. I may be being a killjoy but they are so dangerous and its like handing the yobs a bomb and saying go do your worst. Every year there are people and animals terrorised and maimed because someone got hold of fireworks that shouldnt.

My old Lab Ben was terrified. He had to be sedated for a couple of weeks over this time and still would be climbing the walls.
Thankfully Hektor doesnt really bother, he barks a bit at them but isnt scared.

Lisa
Janis

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm lost for words!!!!!!.......this is awful!

i still maintain fireworks should only be for the professionals and any shows councils businesses or concerts....not for the general public!

i know it was the noise that done the damage on this occasion but who in their right mind really wants to deal with gunpowder! Shocked

i can honestly say i have never bought nor had anything to do with fireworks other than go and see them in a display!

i would love to see them banned but i doubt that'll ever happen.....too much profit to be made!!!
shirley c

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is awful Alan, its disgusting too that these things are still about Evil or Very Mad

Luka is constantly barking at them and Daka is scared....trying to ignore 2 huge ridgebacks going off on one aint fun
Alan and Lynsey
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

she still has her other dog, another king Charles but since her husband passed these wee dogs are her life and it truly is heart breaking.
Jack

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is awful - such sad news!!!

I HATE Fireworks because of this and have long since said I think they should ONLY be allowed at organised displays with ONLY professionally trained and qualified people handling them.

When all is said and done they are explosives and for that reason alone they should NOT be so accessible to the general public.

My dogs get in a right state and it lasts from anytime now right through to January. I went to the supermarket today and right in the entrance foyer there's a HUGE display and a HUGE amount of fireworks crammed into it. Me being me of course I had something to say though I managed NOT to say it to the woman just doing her job and selling them. I believe my words were along the lines of "I oh I swore HATE these things and all the damage they do in the hands of numpties" .......coincidentally JUST as a Numpty Charva was buying the biggest and baddest of the lot of em telling his pals it was "mint" Rolling Eyes

Turning the telly up doesn't work in this house. We've never made a huge fuss over the animals when they're going off but all 6 of them are frightened - ranging from the mildly confused and slow build panic of Rosie (not much new there lol) to the extreme terror of my Sykes and my scaredy cat Monty (who frankly is afraid of his own shadow). Sykes and Monty shake like crazy, pant like crazy and hyperventilate - it is NOT nice to see - anyone who knows cats at all knows it is a VERY bad sign of serious shock and distress when they pant - they do NOT pant to cool themselves down as dogs do - it is a serious indicator that something is wrong and it both terrifies and angers me when they go into this state over some things that should NOT be available to the general public - in my completely unbiased opinion of course! Wink

This year I'll again be trying the trick that worked with some success last year and that is to keep the house snuggly, warm and subdued lighting and energy. If the fireworks go off nearby I'll take the dogs into the garden to see them as they seem able to cope more if they see the pretty lights and are prepared for the bangs. We'll also be using play again this year - when it's at it's worst I tempt the dogs into play to distract them - they can't resist for long and usually indulge me even if it is a little half hearted and a lot less exhuberant than normal - I'm trying to make them connect with positive things and mindset when they hear the bangs rather than the usual fear and distress but without coddling them and ramping their unease up further. Cool
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My big boy is totally unaware of them because we never acknowledge them. He pricks his ear up....we don't take him out right in the midst of it, but I doubt he'd bat an eyelid.

I doubt the puppy will be any different.

Maybe it's cos they are gun-powder dogs Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> General Dog Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: