Google Search
Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Carrie's latest exploit: missing for 5 hours!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carrie's-Mum

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:20 am    Post subject: Carrie's latest exploit: missing for 5 hours! Reply with quote

After some trial runs at letting Carrie off the lead for short periods, and no apparent problems with calling her back (using the silly, high-pitched voice recommended by John!) I let her off in Cumbernauld Community Park last Friday morning. I was calling her back every few minutes, and she was responding well, but then just disappeared without trace.

Four of us were out searching for her for almost five hours, and after we'd almost given up hope, we returned for about the 20th time to the place where she'd run off, and she trotted out from behind a bush. She was dirty and tired and scared, and very, very thirsty, but otherwise unharmed, thankfully.

But this gave me a real fright, and now I'm quite nervous about letting her off again. At the same time though, I want her to have fun and freedom, so am still keen that this can happen, sooner or later.

Does anyone have any advice? We have a really long lead and I guess will have to go back to working at this in the garden, or in places where we know she can't come to any harm. But with her strong instinct to chase, I can't help wondering if it will ever be safe to let her off in the way that I could with my other dog (also a GSD), who just wanted to be close to the pack and would never let you out of her sight.

Thanks

Jane
Sharon Falconer
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jane
I know how stressed you must be feeling. Cleo too chases everything that moves. She seems to have a very high prey drive. She lunges at and tries to chase joggers, cyclists, kids playing in the street, leaves blowing on the road; even cars driving past on the road which is a nightmare. She lunges at people walking past us, dogs on the other side of the road and kids on scooters or even just walking. About 8 months ago this statement was true 100% of the time. 2 months ago it happened about 80% of the time. Now it is down to about 25% of the time. I try to take Cleo most places I go and always have done. I have used pet corrector spray as animals tend not to like the noise it makes, a spray collar, a half check collar but in the last 2 months where the most improvement has been, the only "tool" I have used is the prong collar. It has made that much difference. I even took her round a car boot sale a few weeks ago and she only tried to lunge a couple of times. The effect is instantaneous. The prongs really don't hurt. I've had the collar on my neck and pulled it tight as it looks horrendous and I really couldn't believe it doesn't hurt. The only part which hurt was the half check part where the chain goes through the loop as it pinched my skin but the prongs apply a consistent pressure all round the neck which you feel but is actually much safer for the dog as a dog who lunges alot can get a damaged trachea with a standard, choke, or normal half check collar. The pressure which is applied to the trachea with these collars is shared between the prongs and produces a constant pressure all round the neck. Believe me I beat myself up about trying the prong collar and was embarrassed about using it until I tried it round my neck. I let my oldest son try it too.
I still can't let Cleo off lead. I wish I could but it is just not worth the risk of her not coming back or chasing someone, cos if she caught them she would bite them! At home she is a great big lump of a dog--in her own comfort zone. Maybe one day I'll be able to let her off lead somewhere other than the back garden but I think that is a long way off. She loves playing with a ball which only happens in our garden off lead or at the park on a long flexible lead. Her nervous aggression is more of a problem. If she is among people she has to be muzzled as she would bite but it is so frustrating when you see other dogs off lead having fun and you want yours to be able to also. Don't give up hope. I haven't for Cleo Carrie is young yet and can still learn. She will still be adjusting to her new life and I'm sure will get there. Sometimes it helps to know others have the same issues with their dogs.

Sharon
lesley
High Post Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a nightmare!!! Glad you got her back ok!! I would advise going back to the long lead even when out to make sure she doesn't run off again and plenty of practice as u have been doing. An extra tasty treat saved for recall only like sausage or cheese or something also helps. Alf had a wee run round the Glen for about 3 hrs on his own when he was about 8 mths or so. Thankfully it was when dad was walking him and not me!! he pulled the lead out dads hand and bolted. The flexilead trailing made it worse cos he was trying to run away from it! After couple hrs searching he braved calling me at work to say and I was set to leave work to come look for him when he got him. Did make me bit wary of letting him off for couple weeks.

He's gradually got better as he got older tho hes only recently mastering the walking past other dogs without running off to see them and he's coming up for 2. I only recently purchased a long lead to practice having him off lead in field with other dogs there but not allowing him to run off unless I was letting him. It made a definite difference and I no longer really need it. after couple months with this I can now distract him easier from other dogs back to me and he's doing better. Definitely worth persevering with!!

Now if only I could teach him to play nicely without getting OTT and jumping around and mouthing..... As soon a one problem is solved another one comes up but it's much more rewarding when they're not the easiest to train and they finally get there!!!
kendal
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

remember she is still settling in with you. i would say stick with the line just now let it drag, call her back. keep working with her.

Carrie's-Mum

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for your advice and support. It's helpful to know that other people are going through similar things, and also that time really does make a difference.

I'm disappointed as much for Carrie as anything - she really needs to run around freely with other dogs, and explore her surroundings, and I'm sure must be really frustrated by being on the lead all the time.

I just need to be patient though.

Thanks again

Jane
lesley
High Post Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also worth finding a big enclosed area to use other than just the garden. The big football pitch opposite where classes are is good for a run around and practicing recall. Can practice with more than one dog there also. Alfie used to have a run around after class with couple of the other dogs and think he used to enjoy it as much as the class!!!
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a nightmare Jane...........I would use a long line on here and practise practise practise recall.........as Lesley suggests an enclosed area would be a good idea ( the football pitch opposite Westfield hall?)

john
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: