Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
jumping up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cat.David.and.Dexter
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 11:05 pm    Post subject: jumping up Reply with quote

For the last few weeks we've been struggling with Dexter jumping up on us. We try to give corrections when he does it but he tends not to be wearing his lead when he does it so by the time we get a hold of him it's been a great game of duck and dive for him! He jumps quite a lot! He'll jump to get a ball or toy, to 'welcome' us or any visitor through the door, in protest when told no and will jump at our backs when we're out walking! He'll literally stalk us by walking behind then up our heels then jump to put both paws on our shoulders. We've really made no progress with the issue since it started. We have tried ignoring him, giving a correction, turning our backs on him, refusing to continue playing and also bribeing him with treats. A few weeks ago he jumped at my front and left me all muddy for the remainder of our walk plus scratched my eyebrow and cheek which resulted in me looking a bit like Scar from the Lion King for a few days! I'm quite keen not to have this repeated as I'm positive a scratched face isn't going to look great in my wedding photos!! Any advice?
lesley
High Post Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure other people will probably give better advice. But you couldtry a few things. When you or anyone comes in house make sure he is ignored, go about taking shoes/coat off etc and only talk to him once he has stopped jumping and settled down, would mean everyone doing the same tho. When you're playing with him with his toys, make him sit before he gets them or before you throw them for him.

In the house you could try leaving a short training lead on him so it's easier to give corrections when he does jump up and reinforce the word off.??

Like i say you will prob get better advice from others, alfies leg means he never really jumped up. Although it is definitely improving as I baked cakes last week and caught him almost up at the kitchen worktop trying to steal them!!!
Carrie's-Mum

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cat

Carrie also jumps up (needless to say!). She seems to settle quite quickly though if we turn our backs, fold our arms and stay completely silent. We also tend to ignore her for about 10 mins after arriving home - difficult, as we are as pleased to see her as she is to see us, and it also seems a bit rude...! - which does tend to settle things down, as far as jumping up is concerned. We also have to ask visitors to do the same thing, otherwise she is all over them, and will take full advantage of the fact that they may not be that confident with dogs, or just don't want to be bossy or offhand with someone else's dog.

Could you turn your back, and then take a step forward if Dexter still tries to jump up at your back? And then stand really still until he has calmed down? Easier said than done though, I know, especially if he sometimes ends up hurting you.

GSDs seem to have a really determined streak, don't they? That's the main issue with Carrie just now, and it is often a battle of wills when we are out on walks. She knows the score, I'm quite sure of it, but just doesn't want to meet me half way. But, also, they are both still very young, aren't they? And my previous GSD was just the same, and really only settled down and got over any silliness, once she had matured. I am trying to remind myself of this anyway, when Carrie is at her most challenging!

Jane
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Dexter has a collar/leash on I would give a sharp downward 'off correction'........when he has his collar /leash on repeatedly invite him to jump and correct accordingly.......he will get the message......if he jumps while off leash I would lift a knee to protect myself and let him know I am not a soft touch.

Jumping up is a pack order issue and in a genuine pack would be dealt with quickly and without question or emotion.........if you watch how a dominant or high ranking pack member deals with this it is an eye opener Shocked but rarely repeated.......Murphy is my teacher with this .

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: