Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
meet Lady the Great Dane
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> General Dog Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kirsty
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcella wrote:
for security Kirsty. If someone steals your dog and it has their name on it's tag then they immediately know how to address the dog ............ the dog will respond on hearing it's name!

WAS ONLY TESTING Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed (You think I would really ask a 'kirsty' question like that??)

I knew that all along - thats why my boys dont even wear collars Shocked
kendal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's one thing i don't like at work is a dog with no Collar, it means that if the dog tries to slip past you, you don't have anything to grab but the dog. the same in the run if the dog is taking the mick you have nothing to hold on to when trying to get the dog on the lead. or if im doing the walks and a car passes i like to the lead and the collar if i think or know it might lunge.

we get a lot of dogs in with there names on there collars, its good for us if we have two or three dogs and you need to call the other over but don't know who is who. but that kinda proves the point about name tags. Confused

kirsty

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kendal, I am considering putting collars on the boys after the post about friends of the glen meeting where we have agreed to keep our dogs close. I could just get a hold of themby the collar

My fear with dodge is that he can disappear out of site for long periods, as you know (35 mins on ben ledi.) I mostly walk them through woods and I am really terrified that he gets caught on something and chokes to death or really hurts himself.

I have not made my mind up yet. am def going at weekend to get bob a lasso lead like I have for dodge to help me get them on quicker.
marcella

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirsty, you really are a panic merchant!!!!! Laughing Putting his prong or a half check can only tighten so far anyway! Murphy and Diesel always have 2 collars on (I know daft but Diesel has his leather magnetic and Murphy has a leather half check) They also wear their prongs so that we can switch between the collars. Neither have been stuck in the woods by their collar and lets face it Murphy forages around as much as Dodge. In fact he disappeared in the gorse up the Croy hill chasing a rabbit and didn't get caught in anything!!!!

Don't worry! Smile
Susan
High Post Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aww, the Dane is gorgeous! I was never a big fan of the breed until I met Paddy at puppy classes, he was just lovely!

I have Rufus's name on his tag...I do understand the security thing, but to be honest, he would go with anyone anyway, regardless of what they called him, and I suppose I just hope that if he went missing, he would be found by nice people and them calling him his name would help him! The thought of someone using his name and being bad to him though, makes me feel sick.

I have a question, his tag also says 'microchipped', is this a good idea? (he is microchipped!)
suzanne l
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would definetly recommend saying if your dog is chipped, means that if he every goes missing and gets handed into police or vets etc he will be scanned immediately. this should be done automatically but its always worthwhile advertising it. sometimes the chip can move around in the skin and isnt in the usual place of shoulder blades, putting a collar on saying hes chipped means that he will be scanned very thoroughly all over, instead of a quick check over usual place. my opinion anyways.
kirsty, im not sure about dog collars but i have a collar for my cat which has a safety release catch on it, means it snaps open if even slightest bit of pressure is applied, so if he every gets caught on tree etc it will open. i dont have the collar on him in the house but as soon as he goes out is gets put on.
kirsty

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzanne, thanks for that, I will check it out.

Marcella - do your boys keep the prongs on in the house? or any of there collars. I hated the mess of Dodge's fur underneath his collar when I first got him. - he had a wee raw patch on the front of his neck - bless - ok I know it I am over the top Embarassed
Fiona

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always keep my dogs collars on. Mainly because I can never remember where I leave them when I take them off Laughing
marcella

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirsty wrote:
Suzanne, thanks for that, I will check it out.

Marcella - do your boys keep the prongs on in the house? or any of there collars. I hated the mess of Dodge's fur underneath his collar when I first got him. - he had a wee raw patch on the front of his neck - bless - ok I know it I am over the top Embarassed

Kirsty, only their leather collars are on in the house. Diesels is on 24/7 for health reasons obviously.
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was illegal to have a dog out in a public place without a collar and tag?

I have a tag with our phone number on it, plus a wee plastic thing saying he's chipped and a number to phone just in case.

Did you see that horrible case on GMTV where a lurcher was stolen from outside a shop and was held to ransom for £750. The police advised against paying it, but the people did it anyway. Seven weeks it was away and came back 10k lighter. Poor thing.

Lovely Great Dane though.
Enid
Site Addict

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzanne H wrote:
I thought it was illegal to have a dog out in a public place without a collar and tag?

So did I!

Suzanne H wrote:
Did you see that horrible case on GMTV where a lurcher was stolen from outside a shop and was held to ransom for £750. The police advised against paying it

How many folk here would not pay a ransom to get their dog/s back? Any one at all? Confused
marcella

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most of us would pay more than that Enid! I can't imagine being told not to.
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzanne H wrote:

You are correct Suzanne....current law is that a dog must have a collar and tag with owners name, address and telephone number.........or be chipped so that any dog can be traced to an owner.

I have never heard of any responsible dog owner being prosecuted for this though.

I believe that there is a problem with banned breeds ( Pit Bulls.Tosa'a etc) being used by drug dealers to carry/transport drugs attached to their collars......no one would be daft enough to try and take something from an angry Pit Bulls neck and if stopped the dealers deny that the dog is theirs....and since we have no licensing of dogs now proof of ownership is difficult ( this was the senario with the Pit Bull that killed the child in Liverpool at New Year).
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enid wrote:

How many folk here would not pay a ransom to get their dog/s back? Any one at all? Confused

Enid after I had paid to get them back...........I would teach a bit of protection training then I'd take Diesel and Murphy out and hunt them down Wink
Janice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzanne Thanks for giving me the idea of putting 'microchipped' on the tag. I know Dale's chip has move down quite a bit. The vet had quite a hunt for it when he checked it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> General Dog Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: