Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Games
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> General Dog Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nicola

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janice wrote:
I'm wary of teaching him to speak but do you know how i could get him to fetch the post ?

Erm....You could get mike to put envelopes through the door and teach him to pick them up? Eventually, each time he picks one up, give him a treat and praise?

I can see you and Mike at the front door actually, putting envelope after envelope through the door.....Your neighbours would think you were off your heads! Laughing
Janice
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trouble is Dale wants to rest during the day and play in the evening. He has a good hour's run before breakfast and then settles til after lunch, another walk/training for at least an hour and then snoozes til about 7ish but then he comes to life! He's been like that since he was 8 weeks old. I'd hoped that fitting in a 3rd walk just about tea time would help him settle. I'll admit I do feel guilty if I just tell him to go away after all we chose to get a dog. Maybe we should have training classes every night.....John's worst nightmare Confused
Janice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure our neighbours think I'm nuts already. all that changing direction and stopping when Dale pulls means we never just walk along the road like sane people. He always wants to pull when we set off first thing in the morning.
I'll try the envelope through the door idea. At least that would be a useful job for him and i don't want him to get bored.
Nicola

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janice wrote:
I'm sure our neighbours think I'm nuts already. all that changing direction and stopping when Dale pulls means we never just walk along the road like sane people. He always wants to pull when we set off first thing in the morning.
I'll try the envelope through the door idea. At least that would be a useful job for him and i don't want him to get bored.

Laughing

Dale doesn't have time to get bored, Janice! Shocked

I admire all the work you're doing with Dale, though. Most nights I do 15-20 minutes of training in the house, and once or twice a week I do it outside in the garden, and at the park on walks. I keep the training sessions short in the hope that they are still keen when the training sessions end, to hopefully make them keen on the next training session. It seems to work!

Let me know how you gt on with the envelope idea! Good luck. Smile
Nicola

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janice wrote:
The trouble is Dale wants to rest during the day and play in the evening. He has a good hour's run before breakfast and then settles til after lunch, another walk/training for at least an hour and then snoozes til about 7ish but then he comes to life! He's been like that since he was 8 weeks old. I'd hoped that fitting in a 3rd walk just about tea time would help him settle. I'll admit I do feel guilty if I just tell him to go away after all we chose to get a dog. Maybe we should have training classes every night.....John's worst nightmare Confused

Janice,

It sounds to me as if you do a lot with Dale during the day, and in the evenings - walking, training and playing etc. As much as it's great to spend time with your dog, you need time to yourselves to do other things. So, don't feel guilty about telling him to go and lie down, he has to learn to occupy himself sometimes! Smile
Janice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicola I don't think I do that much with Dale. I just do a bit of training before he gets to play on walks or while I'm waiting for the kettle to boil or things like that so we do odd 5 minutes rather than longer 2o minute sessions.
I suppose I remember how good a life Sam had at this stage. As well as walks he spent hours playing cricket and football. The children introduced a new rule to cricket-dog stop- if Sam had the ball Henry could only score 6 runs because he'd taught Sam to keep the ball until he was told to drop it only by Henry of course Confused
But you'll be glad to know he's fast asleep just now.
Lorna

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basil even plays the relaxing game in training class. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
Tonight my wee beagle is depressed and has gone to bed in the huff with the world.
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janice....unless you buy a flock of sheep for him to take up and down your street.......you are in for a busy time with him Laughing

He is loving being in the advanced class though..........but as with most working collies instinct tells him to down for a stay and not sit! Watch a sheep dog working and you will see this is instinct for them.......very difficult to stop.
Karen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

feeling very lazy now,
my guys just lie down and sleep after walks, I am sorry but we don't play games in house at all, games are for outside I'm afraid, though I do plenty of them on our frequent walks,
like fetch and hide and seek and such like, and we play in garden, but without trying to sound a bore we only play if I instigate play time my dogs don't chose when playtime is that's my job....
Stephen
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isabel wrote:
Me and doogle like to play poker Laughing Laughing

You're off your nut Laughing
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Otto plays the "let's pretend I'm deaf" game.
marcella

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzanne H wrote:
Otto plays the "let's pretend I'm deaf" game.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Diesel is brilliant at that game too!
Janice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale likes the' lets pretend I'm deaf' game too. Only I think at times he really is so focused on one thing that he honestly doesn't hear. Like me and a good book.

John don't joke about sheep I've heard of people who have bought sheep for their dogs Laughing

But I think Dale will have to settle for something cheaper like agility perhaps when he's a bit older.
Collies aren't dogs their a way of life Laughing
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One indoor game Emily plays is 'find the ball'......she made it up herself a couple of years ago.

She will put them into a room them into a stay......she will them take the ball and hide it somewhere in the house but she drags the ball along the floor.........so the dogs have to follow the scent to find it....the dogs love the anticipation of the release from the stay and never move until she tells them to 'go find the ball'.....Murphy always wins Very Happy
Janice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale plays find the ball and the odd thing is he SITS for ages while I move around from room to room.
He even sits outside while I hide it inside but he won't sit on Tuesday nights Twisted Evil
I can get him to sit while I hoover, that's a real achievement , and to show off he'll sit at my side while I throw a ball and not chase it until he's told to. So why not in class?
I'm still working on getting him to hold it when he sits in front of me when he brings it back. He still drops it too soon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> General Dog Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: