Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
D.A.P
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nicola

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: D.A.P Reply with quote

http://www.doggiesolutions.co.uk/erol.html#1X0

This could be tried on the dogs who are frightened of fireworks etc. I meant to mention it a while back but forgot, and suddenly remembered when it was mentioned on The One Show.
Enid
Site Addict

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used it for 3 years and I can't say it has had any effect.

However, I would be interested to hear if anyone has had success with it.
Nicola

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine uses it on her youngest Miniature Poodle. She claims it has helped him. Never used it myself, thinking of getting some for Roxy to try it.
Fiona
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We used it on Stars mum to help her be less aggressive but it never worked Sad great idea tho and sure it would work in other instances.
Nicola

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps it works in less extreme cases. Confused

I do wonder, though, that if a puppy had a bad experience with it's mother, that it's mother may have died when it was born or perhaps the mother neglected the puppy, the D.A.P scent would perhaps bring back bad memories for the puppy....What do you think about this one, John?

For example, some people say that dogs live for the day and don't hold grudges. They may not hold grudges personally, but obviously if a dog has been abused and/or neglected it is very possible that it can become wary of humans, which is what has led me to think that the D.A.P scent may bring back bad memories for the dog if it has had a bad experience with it's mother.....Just a thought.....
Nicola

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fiona wrote:
We used it on Stars mum to help her be less aggressive but it never worked Sad great idea tho and sure it would work in other instances.

Sorry to hear that, Fiona. Confused
shirley c

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used one last year and it did help Misty and Scooby for the fireworks but im annoyed with myself for not thinking about it sooner, I should have started again for this years fireworks.

It didnt cure them, just seemed to make them less fearful and not as terrified but at nearly 12 and 13 I dont think they could be cured Rolling Eyes
Nicola

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shirley c wrote:
I used one last year and it did help Misty and Scooby for the fireworks but im annoyed with myself for not thinking about it sooner, I should have started again for this years fireworks.

It didnt cure them, just seemed to make them less fearful and not as terrified but at nearly 12 and 13 I dont think they could be cured Rolling Eyes

Glad to hear it helped Mist and Scooby, Shirley. Smile I'm thinking of trying some on Roxy, as well as taking her outside when the fireworks start up.
shirley c

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are better having it running about 4 wks before the actual event for it to work at its best, I think I had 1 or 2 over a couple of months. It will still work if you get one just now but the optimum is to have it running a bit before, though you know what its like with the fireworks going off anytime from now till Xmas Rolling Eyes
Luckily we havent had any here yet
Emma

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that DAP works for some dogs amazingly but not every dog. It is quite expensive too so you could try the spray instead of the plug in to test it out. You can also get Feliway for cats, lets not forget about them.
For next year you can ask at ur practice for advice and maybe a firework integratration cd. It basically over the months gets the dog used the sound of fireworks gradually, it does take months for this to work effectively however and there is usually a lot of interest. It might of course not work at all so it is important to ask for advise from your vet to help.
Enid
Site Addict

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emma wrote:

For next year you can ask at ur practice for advice and maybe a firework integratration cd. It basically over the months gets the dog used the sound of fireworks gradually, it does take months for this to work effectively however and there is usually a lot of interest. It might of course not work at all so it is important to ask for advise from your vet to help.

We have discussed this on another thread, Emma, and seemed to agree that it is the percussive effect of fireworks which invoke the terrors, which means that the cd is of little use.

It's a great pity, as I thought I had found the solution to ours problems.
shirley c

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Misty is also terrified of thunder and I have a natures sounds CD and I have tried to play it a few times but she freaks, maybe I should try it little and often and see if that works with her. I have never got round to trying the CD either so im not sure if it would work with her or not, who knows with these dogs Rolling Eyes
Nicola

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicola wrote:
Perhaps it works in less extreme cases. Confused

I do wonder, though, that if a puppy had a bad experience with it's mother, that it's mother may have died when it was born or perhaps the mother neglected the puppy, the D.A.P scent would perhaps bring back bad memories for the puppy....What do you think about this one, John?

For example, some people say that dogs live for the day and don't hold grudges. They may not hold grudges personally, but obviously if a dog has been abused and/or neglected it is very possible that it can become wary of humans, which is what has led me to think that the D.A.P scent may bring back bad memories for the dog if it has had a bad experience with it's mother.....Just a thought.....

Has anybody got any ideas on this?
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sory Nicola..........I missed this earlier Embarassed

I have never come across this before.....but as we all know different dogs react differently......so I can see why some say it works and some don't..........how often to we hear that?

There are no absolutes when it comes to dogs.
Nicola

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's true, John. I just wondered if anyone had anything to add to my thoughts on ths. It'd be interesting to know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: