Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
a confirmed kennel cough diagnosis
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sharon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your dog is particularly snotty you can add some vicks vaporub to some hot water and put them in the bathroom with the bowl near them (just be careful they don't drink it lol). I have found this a few times a day is really good.
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your input Sharon....it is appreciated.
suzanne l
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kerry - is koda a dog who sniffs a lot? by this i mean grass etc when out? you need to watch, sometimes dogs can inhale small items, usually grass seeds etc that lodge at back of nasal cavity, and can cause them to sneeze and cough, common in dogs who spend half the day with nose to ground!
marcella

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a VERY scary time last year with Diesel. He took a severe nose bleed that refused to stop, we had to rush him to Lawries where Nick Goldfinch (nice vet) had a look at him. By the time we got there the bleeding had subsided and Nick couldn't find anything up his nose so we took him back home. About 3 hours later it was the same pools of blood everywhere and his nose running like a tap. So back we went and he was kept in to be sedated to check is nasal cavity more thoroughly.
Anyway to cut a long story short he ended up in the Vet School for 3 days and we were told that there was a possibilty it could be a tumour and if that ws the case there would have been little hope.
After doing all sorts of tests on him it was discovered he took an allergic reaction to something he'd sniffed!!!!!!!!!!!! More than likely it was weedkiller that the council had sprayed as he had been walked to Tesco the morning it had happened and the council were out along the footpath we use.
It was very frightening to see him lose so much blood, but very frightening that it happened because he'd sniffed something! Shocked
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcella,
you forgot to mention the 'bone destruction' beneath his right eye and the £1500 plus bill Shocked
The responsibilities you take on Rolling Eyes
StuartW
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez. Shocked

Makes you think. If the council guys spraying this stuff have to wear protective equipment, what risk is there to dogs who basically vacuum it up? I wonder what kind of weedkiller they use (I know some are supposed to be 'animal friendly').
Sheryl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Enid] Rest and steam inhalation are meant to be the best treatments.[/quote]

I'll just get the boys to come in the bath with me with some nice crystals in the sink with some hot water!!! Laughing
Lindy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the vicks and hot water is a good tip thanks Sharon Smile I also gave Dora 125mg of paracetamol as our vet told my friend that paracetamol is ok for the dogs in child dozes. It certainly seemed to help as she got a good nights sleep and by the next day she was up for a walk in the evening.
Sheryl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Lindy Ive given them paracetamol ie after the snip! and for this wee cold thing I gave them some calpaul for children, Coby loved it!!!! Very Happy and im sure it made him feel better
Mary
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danny and Jack are still quite bad with this when on the move. Both are sneezing A LOT and occasionally going into long wheezing spasms - I will phone the vet if no better tomorrow. It's a worry - hope all the other dogs are better soon.
Nicola

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary wrote:
Danny and Jack are still quite bad with this when on the move. Both are sneezing A LOT and occasionally going into long wheezing spasms - I will phone the vet if no better tomorrow. It's a worry - hope all the other dogs are better soon.

Sounds like what Molly had. The spasm-type things are scary to watch. Hope they're feeling better soon. I'm sure they'll be fine. Smile

As i've said, Mary, antibiotics for 5 days cleared what Molly had, she is now fighting fit again. The Metacam had no effect, as I originally thought.

Let us know what the vet says tomorrow.
Mary
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Nicola - you are right, the spasms are very scary. They had kennel cough when they were pups and this isn't quite so bad this time, but I do think it is kennel cough. Danny must get better quick as he is 8 tomorrow and needs to enjoy his birthday tea!!!! Rolling Eyes
Enid
Site Addict

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mandy has it now!! She's been working up to it for a day or two.

She is having bouts of sneezing and her little nose is running. Sad

She is due her booster on Thursday - I hope she is better by then.

if she is still poorly I won't get it done but will have her checked over to make sure it is not serious. Of course, if she gets worse we will go immediately.
Nicola

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary wrote:
Thanks Nicola - you are right, the spasms are very scary. They had kennel cough when they were pups and this isn't quite so bad this time, but I do think it is kennel cough. Danny must get better quick as he is 8 tomorrow and needs to enjoy his birthday tea!!!! Rolling Eyes

Happy Birthday to Danny for tomorrow! Smile

I'm sure he'll still enjoy his birthday tea. Wink What's he having?
Mary
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danny will be having fish mixed into his normal food - nothing too fancy as he gets colitis with any change to his diet! He will also get his favourite Bob Martin Tripe Stick and Jerky and Jack will help him out if he gets stuck. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: