Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Rant
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> General Dog Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nicola

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Rant Reply with quote

There's a woman called Margaret who walks regularly at the same place as us, the dams.

She always insists on giving the dogs loads of biscuits. In Molly and Roxy's case, it has been known for her to give them up to 10 biscuits at time. They are Winalot Shapes or Mini Bonios or something like that.

As most of you know, my dogs are small....and 10 biscuits is a lot!

I have told her, very nicely, on a number of occassions, to only give them one biscuit after telling them to sit. She never listens to me and totally defies me every time. Molly sits perfectly and waits for a biscuit, Roxy will be jumping up in the air and all over her for a biscuit. I stress to Margaret to tell Roxy sit and stay first before giving her a biscuit...Her response is "It's ok, these are just my dog walking clothes, they can go in the wash". Rolling Eyes She doesn't seem to comprehend what i'm trying to tell her, even though I have told her that it hasn't just go to do with her clothes, but Roxy's obedience aswell.

I feel she is undoing all my work with Roxy with regards to sitting and staying and it is really beginning to make me mad. I have told her several times to tell them to sit and stay first, before giving them one biscuit.

So, on our walk this morning, I spotted Margaret in the distance with her dog Robbie, who is a very large crossbreed. I don't usually put my two on the lead at the dams, but I did this time as they run to her before I can get there, and the biscuits are being divvied out before I even get there! Rolling Eyes

As we approached, a couple of other regular dog walkers asked why Molly and Roxy were on lead. I told them that I was sick fed up of people giving my dogs food without asking me first, and giving them food when they are not behaving. I put my foot down this time and said that from now on, neither will get any biscuits.

Tough, I know, but it had to be said. I'm not having Roxy leaping in the air and grabbing a biscuit while she's up there! It's total nonsense.

I promptly walked the other way after I said what I had to say. Hopefully Margaret will take notice of what i'm saying this time.

As nice as she is, I can't have Roxy leaping into the air for a biscuit every time we meet her, which is almost every day!

She goes through 3 or 4 boxes of biscuits a week, and her dog hardly gets any on walks! A few other people have said to her aswell. I have no idea whether ot not she listens to them.

She doesn't seem to realise that she's party undoing my training with Roxy, and that the amount of biscuits she gives them is far too much for wee dogs!

I take some treats on walks with me, they only get them after doing a bit of training, or doing something good. They also get one when I put them on a lead when they are sitting. Margaret giving Molly and Roxy all these biscuits during walks is going to reduce the value of the treats I give them. I don't just dish them out for nothing!

I hope most of you understand how I feel on this. Sad

Rant over. (For now!).
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand why this must drive you mad Evil or Very Mad

People should have common courtesy and respect that you don't want her to feed you dogs far too many treats.........perhaps she likes the attention she gets from dogs because she is a mobile treat supply? Dogs are opportunists.......if the see an easy food source they will go to it.
Nicola

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Thomson wrote:
I understand why this must drive you mad Evil or Very Mad

People should have common courtesy and respect that you don't want her to feed you dogs far too many treats.........perhaps she likes the attention she gets from dogs because she is a mobile treat supply? Dogs are opportunists.......if the see an easy food source they will go to it.

I was really quite angry this morning, John.

I very rarely give other dogs on walks treats, and when I do, they are usually friends dogs and I always ask first!

Or, on one occasion, I met a woman with a rescue Collie who was frightened of strangers. I stood and had a chat with her, and asked if I could give him a small treat or two as it could help him learn to trust humans again eventually. She said it was fine, so I gave him 4 or 5 small treats, without looking at him, and continued talking to the woman.

Most dogs will eat until they are sick, as you know and yes, they are opportunists.

She's going to end up like the Pied Piper at this rate! Laughing
Sheryl
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tell her that the dogs are now in training and that they can only get them if they sit/stay or alternativly just say your dogs are on this super sonic diet and can only get home made treats as your trying to cut wheat out of there diet! 9think most treats have wheat in them)

xx
Nicola

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheryl wrote:
tell her that the dogs are now in training and that they can only get them if they sit/stay or alternativly just say your dogs are on this super sonic diet and can only get home made treats as your trying to cut wheat out of there diet! 9think most treats have wheat in them)

xx

Sheryl,

I have told her several time that i'm training Roxy not to jump up on people and not to behave like a kangaroo when there are treats around outside! Rolling Eyes I've told her in the past that Westies are prone to skin conditions aswell. I think, I hope, this time she may haven taken note of what i'm trying to tell her!
Fiona

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicola I totally agree with you. I don't like it when people feed my dogs especially when they have done nothing to deserve it. I don't mind on the odd occasion if they are asked to do something and then they have a reward for doing it. Star and Jake couldn't care less but Libby has taken to start begging on walks now. It drives me mad.

I never take treats out with me and would never consider feeding a strangers dog!
Nicola

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is aswell, her dog isn't that fussed about food on walks - my two mooch like mad sometimes!
Lorna

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell her they are on a gluten free diet and she will make them ill if she feeds them these treats. ( not quite a lie because they will be less healthy, physically and emotionally, if they continue to eat too much.)
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicola wrote:
The thing is aswell, her dog isn't that fussed about food on walks

Probably because they are so bagged up with treats they can't take anymore!
Nicola

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This woman will never learn. So i've told her, very firmly, that they get no more biscuits now from her - none at all.
Nicola

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Thomson wrote:
Nicola wrote:
The thing is aswell, her dog isn't that fussed about food on walks

Probably because they are so bagged up with treats they can't take anymore!

Ha. Probably. Rolling Eyes
Nicola

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No biscuits this morning!! Smile
Lindy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough Nicola I ask people to get mine sit if they want to give them a treat which is not too often thank goodness as Lizzy would be a wee fat pug as she is a wee pest if someone has treats and she knows they do. Also if i ever give treats to friends dogs I generaly ask them to sit and sometimes do something else like "paw" no point in giving treats for nothing I like to use it to get a bit of respect from friends dogs. If she doesn't like it then it's for her to worry about not you as you have your dogs best interests at heart.
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two regulars round our morning walk who give our dog fat boy biscuits - we have planned it to perfection to avoid them because they are also dog know it alls who berate us for not letting him run free.

Eh, it's dark, he's brown, your dogs distract him from his recall which all equals late for work!
Dan McK

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are the dams?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> General Dog Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: