Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Early Morning Alarm Call

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suzanne H
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Early Morning Alarm Call Reply with quote

How do I get Otto to stop barking and whining from 5.30 am EVERY morning.

We have tried ignoring him, but he will just keep it up till we have to get up anyway so he thinks he's won in summoning us. Or at the weekend, one of us gives in to let the other one catch up on kip. This usually ends up with him sleeping soundly out of crate and us sleeping on the sofa.

We have tried letting him out for a pee when he barks, no light on, no conversation and putting him back in the crate - he will start up again after about 30 mins.

I think it's because he's not outside as much - he used to potter about the garden in the evening but in the dark and cold, he's just snoozing. It makes no difference if he's had loads of exercise, he still wakes up at 5.30.

Other than keeping him awake all evening by playing with him - I don't know what else to do. And am permanently knackered.
Janis

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

possibly give him a chew or a pigs ear or bone! maybe even a Kong with some treats in it he can work away at getting out!

something to keep him occupied while you catch up on your zzzz's Smile
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A difficult one......but he has already learned that if he keeps it up long enough you will give in Wink
Try to tire him a little befre bedtime.....difficult I know because you do not want to give a pup too much exercise..........have you tried a cover over the crate?
StuartW

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cold bath for him every morning until he realises a warm bed is better..

Actually, does he still get up at 5.30 now the clocks have gone back?
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The change of clocks made no difference - he just adjusted it by an hour.

Last night my mum was there so he was getting loads of attention and games rather than snoozing and he didn't start until 6.20 which is doable (during the week anyway).

My stepson is with him during the day so will just get him to interact with him more, play with him in the evenings and at weekends give him a pigs lug even to secure one extra hour.

He doesn't do it cos he needs a pee or food, cos I've tried dealing with both and putting him back in. He just wants some company.

Just need to have endless games of "find it" to tire him out mentally I reckon.
carol
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Suzanne,

What you need is a spray commander by remote control. This brilliant gadget stops nuisance barking, such as your describing.

What has happened in your situation is that your dogs internal alarm clock is now set. It may have start when he was younger when he has awakened early and started whining/ barking, you have responded by getting up and giving him attention. After the 3rd time of this happening he has learned a new behavior, and just like a child he is pushing the boundaries every time. Now your choice is listen to the barking or giving in. You could try 3 mornings of ignoring the barking until you get up at your normal time, but by then you will probably be pulling out your hair and the neighbours will be going potty.

The spray commander by remote control, is great and because it is operated by remote control you can stay in your bed (it can be operated up to 90m away and through walls). the spray commander is attached to a separate collar, When the dog barks, whines, press button one which is a beeping sound (that's the warning ) if the barking/ whining continues, press button 2, that gives a short hissing blast of a harmless neutral spray. That is usually enough for the barking/ whining to stop. The glory of this remote collar is you are not seen reacting, and not giving your dog any attention for the barking, negative/ positive or otherwise. The dog does not know you are operating the spray, he thinks his barking is. Its great for breaking such bad habits as nuisance barking and is a instant solution that trains your dog the new behavior you want ie not barking. It does have a 3rd button which is an extended spray but it very rarely required.

Alternatively you can also use button one (the beep) as a signal that they have done a behavior correctly, a rewarding method similar to clicker training. It can also be used to stop other unwanted behaviour such as; I used it to stop one of my border collies from continuous circling when I used the indicator in the car, it also stopped the same dog attacking the rear wind screen wiper when switched on.

We sell them in our pet store. If you want further info please email me clearrunagility@aol.com
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have been keeping him awake more in the evening, walking him later and it has been working - he's been kipping till 5.45 now and if I shout quiet he will quieten down for half an hour. It's not as if we want him to be in bed till 10am - 6.30 or 7 am would be good. And you shouldn't have to play with a dog for 4 hours every evening, probably makes him even more attention seeking.

Fortunately we live in a detached house, but he whines if he's left in a room by himself - but not all the time. It's like one step forward, 2 steps back. The noise drives me mad, specially early in the morning and it does make me short with him.

He's an outgoing dog, but shows low level separation anxiety. I think we do need to do something new a) to get him to lie in and b) to be by himself. It is a breed trait, but fact he's fine sometimes, shows he's pulling the strings.
Eleanor
High Post Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzanne

would you be against bringing the crate into the bedroom for a while to break the habit? then gradually move it back out again over a period of time?

just a thought, it's what I would do but I like my dogs close by (personal preference)

my dogs sleep in my bedroom at night but have no access during the day when I am not there, again it's down to personal choice

Eleanor
Mary
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzanne

First and foremost your Otto is gorgeous and I love your reports of his day to day activities!!

Like Eleanor, personal preference again, my boys now aged 8 and 7 have always slept in my room, in their beds - always have since they came home with me. They do not get on my bed - nor do they try.

There is a book I got from the library 'How to Civilise Your Puppy' that suggests this practice.

My first Cocker - Sam and I had a battle of wills lasting many, many weeks which resulted in a very tired and rather 'ratty' me lifting a howling, barking, destructive little pup and his basket from his kitchen prison and bringing him in with me (in spite of my ex's insistence that there was 'NO WAY Sam would be allowed in the bedroom' - at that time he worked away from home and the deed was done by the time he got back). From then on bliss, sleep, peace, contentment, and I too, like my dogs close. Smile Smile
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He doesn't whine when he's put to bed - knows the routine and settles right in at 11pm and doesn't make a sound during the night until he wakes up. If he's tired, we have to wake him up, but that's rare.

But you are right, we stayed at my sisters and he was in his crate in with us and he didn't make a noise until 7am.

Just worried bringing him in with us is a step back as it took a while to get him to settle at night downstairs.
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the alarm call is now 6.15 - 6.20 which is good as it's when Ian gets up anyway.

Have been feeding and walking him later which seems to do the trick. Last weekend, we let him out at the back of 6 and let him come up and sleep on the bedroom floor which gave us another hour.

Well once we got him off the bed as he was all for coming under the covers!
Mary
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad things are slightly better - I had this thought - when the girl across the road from me had a boyfriend staying over he had a very noisy van and used to leave for work at 5.30am - it was a while before I made the connection with Danny & Jack waking me as I woke up after the van had gone. The other thing that used to wake us was the water heater - same time every morning until I adjusted the timing.
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he's just wearing us down till he fulfils his ultimate goal of sleeping in bed with us. No chance!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: