Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Jumping up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amandawhitelaw
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Jumping up Reply with quote

Can anyone answer a question for me. Yoda Consistently jumps up on you. I love it however, every body else is upset about this. I tried the pet corrector spray but Yoda thinks its a big game and at £10 a tin i feel it is a bit of a waste. She also jumps on the couch which is driving me crazy. I tried jumping off the couch and standing with my arms cross and giving no eye contact. So she decides to just bed down for the night and takes the full couch and refuses to budge up.

Any ideas welcome
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If she jumps on the couch calmly and quietly take her collar and lead her off the couch.....be clear, calm and above all consistent.........if you are not going to allow her on the couch this rule must always be enforced..........otherwise you will confuse the dog.

Ps when you upload your avatar to photobucket click on edit, re size it to avatar size. Smile
Eleanor
High Post Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amanda

you may wish to wear a house line with Yoda (but only if you are there to supervise), when you see her approach the couch distract her with a toy, if she is jumping up on it and you are reacting, it could be turning into a game

as for jumping up on you..................as soon as her front feet leave the floor you should turn your back on her (with no words), as soon as all feet are back on the floor, go down to her level and reward her..................it may be fun just now but when she's fully grown and has muddy feet you will not be laughing - especially if you're all dressed up to go out somewhere special...............dogs can't tell if it's your old joggies or your best suit, nor do they really care

hope the above makes sense, if not grab me on tuesday night at the cub and I will explain it better

have fun

Eleanor
amandawhitelaw

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: jumping up Reply with quote

Thanks for all the feedback. I changed the size of the photo so i don't take up the full page now

thanks
marcella

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Amanda!!! Love the new avatar, Yoda looks so cute!
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jumping up is still the bain of my life - it's not much fun when they can practically put their paws on your shoulder and have big claws.

My other half doesn't help - I hate it, he thinks it's funny...but as he's 6ft 2 it's no an issue for him. I need to train him more than the dog.

I turn my back on him and it is getting better. (the dog that is, not Ian - though might try it on him)
marcella

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzanne H wrote:
I need to train him more than the dog.

Laughing you hit the nail on the head Suzanne!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: