Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Flees
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suzanne St
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject: Flees Reply with quote

I use Frountline Only treated all my dogs again last week, and just found a flee on Mya again. I also use Staykil in the house............ Crying or Very sad
I have just sprayed it all over the house again. Maybe is it having sooo many dogs or am i just unlucky?
Dose any one treat there dog regally ??? Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
marcella

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we've never treated ours for fleas Embarassed Maybe we should!
shirley c
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ours were done with the frontline spray a few months ago and I go through Misty every now and again with the flea comb, I sometimes get the odd one on her but with her being so old, her coat is all pooky all the time so the fleas seem to hang around her more, the rest are clean, I check them all with the comb, they have no dirt or anything.

I dont treat them regularly, last year I think they were fine, the year beofre they all had them and I ended up getting the stuff for the backs of their necks.
Lorna

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use regular Frontline on mine. No flees for years. Just lucky.
StuartW

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we first got Doogle as a pup he had just about everything going (except fleas). Frontline didn't do too much, but Stronghold did the trick!
lynn
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzie and Ozzie have only had fleas once, that was when we had a dead fox in the garden!!! did they kill it?? I don't know if they did it got revenge by giving them fleas Rolling Eyes we used Advocate it's a dab on the back of the neck ,can't remember how much or how often but it worked, the good thing about these two is the short hair, if they get them you can spot them a mile away, slight exaggeration I can't see the dogs a mile off without my specs but you know what I mean Laughing

Lynn
marcella

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used the Bob Martin flea and tick back on the neck stuff before........... bought it from the supermarket. I have never before noticed fleas on any of the boys, but all this talk about it now has got me thinking that I shall have to go and get something to treat them anyway .................... because they whole idea of this is making me scratch!!!!!!! Laughing
kirsty

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dodge and Bob get flee stuff from the vet occassionally but dont think they have them, think i would see them on Dodge a mile off???
Lindy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Bob Mattin from the supermarket every few months.
Dan McK

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use Frontline but a few years ago started using Bob Martin from the supermarkets as it was more convenient to pick up. I have however reverted to Frontline as it lasts longer, and I noticed a tick on one of my girls. As a hillwalker it was ticks that are more of an issue for my dogs, if you read the small print you normally only get protection from these for halve the time you would get for fleas, e.g. Frontline will protect your dog for 2 months against fleas, but only 1 month for ticks.
If any of you are planning to go on Lindy's extreme walks on the hills it's something you should be aware of. Anywhere there are sheep or deer, there will be ticks. When they attach themselves they are very hard to see, but will get larger the longer they are allowed to feed. Disgusting little critters, yeuch!!
Lindy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan we have had a few since we have started our longer walks and hill walks, many of the group have bought tick removers and we have said it would be worth making sure that you have treated the dogs as they are horrible creautres. Didn't know that about the treatments only lasting half the time for ticks I'll have to think about using frountline then if it lasts longer.
Dan McK

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Special tick removers are good, as are tweezers. The ticks don't actually pass on any disease until they dislodge themselves, as they dislodge they spit some blood back into the victim. It is this which passes on the disease. That is why we should put vaseline or toothpaste on their bodies as the old wives tail says.

When removing you have to be sure to TWIST and pull, as pulling alone can separate the ticks body from the head which will be buried in the dog (or person), and this can also cause disease.
suzanne l
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hate to say it guys but bob martin doesnt work, the drugs which actually kills the fleas is a prescription only medication and is therefore not allowed to be sold in supermarkets or pet shops. ive actually seen quite a few adverse reactions to bob martin, and similar makes, especially in cats and 2 cats died from this.
(and no i dont work in a first opinion practice so we make no money from flea treatment Laughing , so no endorsements)
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to know about prescription or over the counter pet medication.....have a look on the Veterinary Directorate Medicines website.this is a government website....for specific products look here
http://www.vmd.gov.uk/ then look at the products list section

quite interesting stuff........you should know the effects and side effects on anything you use on or in your dogs( and cats)
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got stuff from the vet which lasts for 6 months for fleas and 3 months for ticks.

Seems to have worked so far.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: