Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Lady's peeing in her bed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emma*
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Lady's peeing in her bed Reply with quote

I gave Lady her bed back about 4 days ago ( after removing it as she was peeing in it)
and she hasn't done anything in it ( URINATING)until today.I left her for 2 hours to visit a friend and newborn baby and when i got back she was stinking of wee!!!!! and her bed was wet!!!! Sad. Help any ideas??
Janis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you leave her with something like a kong filled with treats to occupy her wile you were away?

did you leave a radio on for her? that 's something i always do as it is a voice to make them think that there is someone still in the house!
marcella

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just make sure she pee's immediately before you leave the house. Even if it means standing in the garden for 30 minutes! Laughing
Also leaving her a toy or a kong like Janis has suggested is a good idea. If she is food motivated then a kong is ideal as it will keep her amused for a while.
Try leaving her for 10 minutes on her own, letting her think you have gone out. Come back in and reward her if her bed is dry. Extend it a bit at a time always rewarding. Might be worth a try too.
Emma*

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Lora gave me one and she has her two chews and she always has a toy. Even worse the last thing i do before i go out is take her in the garden to pee so i know she has done one. I'm sure she holds some back for her bed!!! She doesn't do it if she has her bed taken away e.g pee on the floor, it is only on her bed or fabrics? That's what i don't understand. Why does she stop when i take away her bed? Rolling Eyes Should i remove her bed again?
marcella

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like she just wants to leave her scent on it!!!!!!!!
Diesel used to dribble on clean bedding when he was a pup. Not flood it, just dribble. I wonder if when you wash the bedding she doesn't like the 'clean' smell?
Emma*

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vet suggested rinsing it for a couple of wash cycles or buying new bedding and i have tried both and neither work. I spoke to a lady at the great dane rescue who suggested i wallop her on her nose if i catch her doing it!! I have caught her doing but haven't walloped her, i really don't think that would solve anything. The only remedy i have found is to remove her bed completely but i have hard floor throughout and i just don't think it's fair not to give her a bed...I feel caught between the devil and the deep blue sea Sad
marcella

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just do exactly that Emma ............ remove her bedding. The wallop won't do any good!
We have hard floors throughout here, the boys have beds but most of the time lie on hard floors!
Leave her without bedding for a few days then try putting it back, if she wee's again, remove it again.
Emma*

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do Marcella thanks for your help..Fingers crossed Smile
marcella

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emma, the other possibility is that she is getting anxious when you leave her on her own. If this is the case try the 10 minutes on her own and gradually building it up.
But the best thing you can do with separation anxiety is to reinforce your pack order. Smile
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emma75 wrote:
The only remedy i have found is to remove her bed completely but i have hard floor throughout and i just don't think it's fair not to give her a bed...I feel caught between the devil and the deep blue sea Sad

You have the answer..........but because you feel sorry for her you are looking for another solution.
It could be separation anxiety in which case you should slowly build her trust and the length of time you leave ( even if it is just in another room).

When you leave her.........what is the chain of events? Do you talk to her as you leave? 'It will be alright baby mummy won't be long! ' or do you leave the way a pack leader does.......ignore the dog completely and stride out of the room/house confidently?
Emma*

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your right, as she only does it when i leave the house! Confused She doesn't do it when I take the children to school though which is about 20- 30 mins depending on how long i gossip! Laughing
Emma*

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She doe whine at night if John is in the dining room and I'm in the living room and she can't get in. To be honest i generally ignore as i am about to leave but i do always give a handful of treats as i leave Rolling Eyes So do you think i should remove her bed again then?
linsey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

When Leon was younger he had separation anxiety and would get into a terrible state.

Leaving the radio / tv on didn't work, but we read somewhere that you should make a tape / cd with a recording of your voice and leave that playing when you go out.

So that's what we did... the first 20-30 seconds was silence (to give me time to get out the door!) then leon was treated to a variety of random reading materials, including some weight watchers recipes, Steven's 4-4-2 magazine and other general nonsense. I had about an hours worth of stuff recorded (not all in one go... I would record 10-15 mins at a time) and I just used to put it on repeat and leave it when i went out.

I felt like a complete tube doing it, and it is highly embarrassing it you bring folk back to the house and they are greeted with you reciting the recipe for chicken korma, but it did work so it was worth it!

We just built it up like Marcella said... 10 mins, 15 mins etc... and I didn't talk to him. I just said "I'm going out now, Leon stay" and then left the house. And when I came back I just said "Good Boy" and gave him a wee treat - i didn't want to make a drama out of it.

He is totally fine now!

Lx
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If simply removing the bed means she does not pee......then that is what I would do.

If she is Ok for a short period perhaps she simply needs to pee and thinks the place to do it in the house is in her bed?
Let or take her out before you leave her........arrange to go out for a couple of hours after she has been down to Cumbernauld Glen.......if she is tired and empty it make break the habit..........
Emma*

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Will remove her bed again and i like the idea of the recording linsey i will give that go. Can i ask what causes separation anxiety? Never had a dog with it. Also i have caught her peeing in her bed when im in the same room so i guess your right... remove the bed.... Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: