Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
training lead
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gaelle
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: training lead Reply with quote

I bought a LONG cord training lead yesterday (10 metres) in the belief that it would help me with Cuthbert's outdoor recall. So far all it has done is get me tangled in knots, Cuthbert pays not a blind bit of attention to it so either it is too long or I'm not using it properly!! BAH!!!
Lisa
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the retractable lead when I was training Kai in recall. I did think about using a lunge lead but I knew I'd end up all tangled up Laughing
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaelle,

did the class this afternoon help regarding the use of a long line?
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We didn't hold it all the time, just didn't let him get too far away and you can then stand on it when you need to and reel em in.

We also use a whistle ie blow the whistle twice, reel him in, treat. They get the connection in the end.

The line also slowed him down. Even if you do have to chase after them, you don't have to go as far, just to the end of the line.
Susan
High Post Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to start doing this with Rufus!
His outdoor recall used to be really good, but this last month he has started to ignore me completely. And if he sees a person or dog, there is no stopping him! There will be old long lines up at the yard, I will see what I can mooch before buying one, lol! I did actually try him in the garden with a long bit of clothesline, but he kept getting tangled, think it will be different out in the fields though!
Gaelle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, Not tried it out again yet . It looks simple enough I'm just a bit nervous about him getting tangled in it whilst running at full speed to come back whilst I'm frantically trying to wind it in like you showed me. I guess it's just practice though and I'll let you know how we get on. Thanks for that.! Smile
Lorna

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using long training line with Poppy to recall. It is a matter of how you handle the line to avoid tangling yourself up. Just follow John's instructions carefully, practice and you will be fine.
If you find you are tangling, drop the line and stand on the end. You and dog will be safe.
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really does work. Otto knew the recall commands in the house/garden but out in the big smelly world or at puppy classes, he had better things to do.

We'd start every walk holding on the line, do the command and if he didn't come, tug it and reel him in and reward. Eventually, the tug was enough.

Then gradually let it go in a safe area, he didn't notice we weren't holding on to it. Or we could stand on it and tug him to remind him. Eleanor also gave us a gundog tip - throw the treat on the ground to make him work for it to drill it in.

After a while he just ran about with it between his legs, it seemed to give us control and slowed him down.

Also keep back the favourite treat for recall...and keep practising the command in the house and garden.

If it looks like getting tangled, drop it....or if you are about to lose the skin on your hands Laughing

We still start every walk with it, just to remind him. But he now responds to the whistle - most of the time. Some days he's at it and the line goes back on. But rarely nowadays.
Gaelle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also thinking of getting him (hopefully!) trained to the whistle. I have an ordinary type one already but would a "silent" i.e dog whistlle be better? Also I know this is likely a silly question but how can you tell if the "silent" whistle is actually working if it isn't within your range of hearing pitch? Embarassed Embarassed
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a silly question, I kept blowing it thinking "this isn't working" but the dog was hearing it fine Laughing

He will come back to Come or the whistle (cos I kept forgetting the whistle!).

Two blasts or Otto Come!, tug on the line, sit, treat...on yer way. We did that about 10 times a walk, particularly at the start to remind him who's boss. I still catch him thinking twice about it, but he will do it now.

Just gradually build up the distance you let them go until you're confident.

We use the whistle to keep him close in areas we don't know or to pull him back from way off if he's running in an area we know is enclosed.
Gaelle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I do like that "slippery dog"! That sums it up perfectly!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy So do I dare take him out off lead with the pack? I don't know as I'm damned if I can catch him these days!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can keep the lead on, and just let it go but stand on it if he's going too far ahead ie keep the ability to do the recall in your own hands or feet rather than let him get into a position to ignore you.

I always found that with the lead on he thought he was attached even when he wasn't. Minute we took it off, he wouldn't listen, so we just left it on until he listened all the time, even when he was out of reach, he still responded as if I was holding it.

Am no expert, was a bit of trial and error, but I have no doubt that it helped us. Specially with a dog who's mission in life is to run and smell.
Gaelle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure that you don't actually have Cuthbert living with you , just heavily disguised?? It sounds so like him!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzanne H wrote:

I always found that with the lead on he thought he was attached even when he wasn't. Minute we took it off, he wouldn't listen, so we just left it on until he listened all the time, even when he was out of reach, he still responded as if I was holding it.

This is exactly why a long line works...the dog quickly believes that you can ALWAYS correct him.

Gaelle you worry too much about Cuthbert........stick with the basics, use a long line and you will see an improvement in his recall.
Gaelle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay I'll do that. If the weather holds tomorrow I may bring him for a lunchtime walk with you guys in the glen.. He loves that!!
P.S. Silly question if he is running a full speed on a long line is it still okay to use prongs? I know they are there to correct pulling but I just wondered about using at speed? Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: