Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Should you keep 2 bitches together?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> General Dog Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should you have 2 bitches together?
Yes
93%
 93%  [ 15 ]
No
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 16

Emma*
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Should you keep 2 bitches together? Reply with quote

Should you keep 2 bitches together?

This is basically my question, i have been on the Great Dane forum and most say no way.
So i just wanted to know what you thought.

Here are some responses from the Great Dane site:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've seen dogs fight and I've seen bitches fight, neither is a sight I ever hope to see again but the main difference being, if I see dogs fighting I would feel comfortable enough to step in. If I saw bitches fighting I wouldn't stand a hope in hells chance.

This is just my experience, many people keep bitches together no probs and a few years later and a bit more wiser I can see what happened to trigger these events and I'm certain it wouldn't happen now, but I'll still never, ever ever have two bitches together again.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
personally i would never have 2 bitches. Clara got into a fight with another much younger bitch a while ago.
we introduced them properly, did everything we possibly could, there was a big age difference & clara is an alpha bitch. although no real damage was done- that was sheer luck. Clara had a split ear, the otehr bitch was ok. but that definately put me off. i wasnt there- but it was the fact that they just kept flying at eachother, not like boys weher one will back down. ( in fact the boys ran & hid in the kitchen out the way ). eventually Clara had to be taken out of the house as the girls would not leave it.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The current bitch Della would not tolerate another bitch at all-- not even out and about. She has no fear and also a strong prey drive and in addition a strong guarding instinct. Having said that some bitches are fine. Old Polly dog and Kim were great with other dogs and we did have a sheepdog Meg with them. Sarah's dog Molly is charming with other dogs but sadly cannot come to stay because of Della.
The problem can be managed if you do not have 2 bitches in the same house but once they start they do not forget and likely to spark up again with no warning
Ashley

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said yes...

I know lots of people who have two bitches, even more than two, living happily together. Yes, they get in to scraps, but so do all dogs!! I'm sure Lindy, or Janis and Kendal will be able to add a lot more to this!... Smile
Emma*

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can i just add, like Ashley could you leave your reasons for your vote....only i would like to know why you said yes or no... Very Happy
marcella

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well there's lots of debate about keeping two dogs or two bitches .............. most breeders don't recommend it. As you know we have two dogs ............ again this was frowned upon. We had dogs before and never had any incidents at all. This time we have, twice Murphy has had a pop but it is something we are aware of and it is something you have to keep an eye on.
Bitches will fight more than dogs .............. no getting away from it, this is because bitches tend to be more dominant than dogs. (Just ask Dora!!!) Laughing

I think a bigger factor to worry about is taking two dogs from the same litter, be it bitches, dogs or one of each. This is a potentially bigger fight waiting to happen.

All in all I would say that for anyone not experienced in handling dogs then two bitches is a no no. Same goes for dogs.
Get one of each! Wink
Ashley

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcella wrote:

Get one of each! Wink

Dont tempt me Shocked Laughing
Fiona

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitches are way worse at fighting than dogs. But having said that I have had two together with no problems. As Marcella says if your not experienced then two bitches are a no no.
Dan McK

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the dogs, the owner, etc.

I've had 2 bitches now for 12 years. Towsie and Tess get on fine, with Towsie the old girl at 12 being the dominant one, though I expect Tess (at 7 half months) to try and take over from her at some stage. Before Tess we had Awnie who was a litter-mate of Towsie, so I have also had 2 bitches from the same litter, and had no problems with that either.

I dont think there are any rules set in stone for this though, some people have good experiances with it, some people bad.

1 thing for sure, Tess has a lot stronger personality than Awnie did, so we will see what happens between her and Towsie as she grows into and adult dog and gets stronger, as Towsie gets older. Towsie has always been the dominant dog, in the extended family as well as just our house, even over male dogs, so whether she relinquishes this will remain to be seen.
Robert Baskerville
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is really interesting - Louise and I have often thought about getting another dog and based on what has been written I would probably go for a bitch. Ralph can be aggressive towards other dogs so I would imagine that's the sensible thing to do.
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan McK wrote:
Depends on the dogs, the owner, etc.

I don't think there are any rules set in stone for this though, some people have good experiences with it, some people bad.

I agree with your thoughts Dan............
StuartW

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcella wrote:
Bitches will fight more than dogs ..............

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Sorry!

... I'll get me coat Embarassed
Lorna

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have said yes BUT I have lots of reservations:
1. Owners must be experienced.
2. Bitches should NOT be too close in age.
3. Pack order must be strictly maintained by the humans. The bitchs' pack order can change over time and owners must be aware of changes and adjust their behaviour accordingly.
4. Problems can be more challenging in some breeds than others. For example, SGDR will not rehome a bitch to a home where there is another bitch close to her age. This is especially true of puppies and young bitches.

We have had pairs of Beagle bitches along with a Dane dog for donkey years. All our previous Danes have been dogs. We do not ever take Beagle bitches from the same litter. We generally have them with 2-3 years age difference. We have taken mum and pup. This has worked for us. They have all gotten on really well.

We always want to have 2 dogs as they are pack beasts and we find them happier with other doggy company.

Current Beagle bitch is NOT happy about Dane Bitch. She will tolerate her mostly but keeps her distance.
Fiona

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As soon as I seen you had posted on this thread I knew you wouldn't take is seriously! Honestly Stuart you can be sooooooo childish Laughing
linsey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Should you keep 2 bitches together? Reply with quote

Emma* wrote:
If I saw bitches fighting I wouldn't stand a hope in hells chance.

I personally thought Stu would have went for that comment Rolling Eyes
StuartW

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Should you keep 2 bitches together? Reply with quote

linsey wrote:
Emma* wrote:

Laughing

I've never seen the word 'bitch' used so frequently in one place.

"alpha bitch"... OMG, must resist.... for the sake of my domestic stability Laughing Laughing Laughing
linsey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Should you keep 2 bitches together? Reply with quote

StuartW wrote:
linsey wrote:
Emma* wrote:

Laughing

I've never seen the word 'bitch' used so frequently in one place.

"alpha bitch"... OMG, must resist.... for the sake of my domestic stability Laughing Laughing Laughing

Aye, you'll get "bitch slapped"!

OK OK, sorry - I'll let you all get back to the serious conversation.

Lx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> General Dog Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: