Google Search
Custom Search

Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
How often and how far do you walk your dog?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: How often and how far do you walk your dog? Reply with quote

How far and how often do you walk your dog/dogs?
I firmly believe that a lot of behavior/obedience problems stem from too little excersise.

Overage day for my two GSD's is quick toilet walk first thing in the morning, approx 45mins/1hour at lunchtime, most evenings 1 hour plus or up to 2.5 hour power walks ( approx 6/7 miles). Weekends depends but Saturday past was over 5 hours hill walking.....pretty much as much as we can fit in Laughing

Great excersise for the dogs and humans alike.

Tell us how long/far you do.
charlene
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i no i need 2 walk tina more than i do, but she gets out for the toilet in the morning then a 10 minute at lunch time (i only get half an hour for lunch)
then 45min-1 hour walk at 430 then back out before bed for toilet
at weekends she's out with me at the horses then a walk for 2 hours

during the week sometimes she goes 2 my brothers so she isint left herself all the time and my 3 year old nephew normally keeps her amused all day Very Happy
Claire/Mark

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well we take turns each of getting up at 6.30 am and walking them for about 15 - 20 mins in the morning, then my mum watches the dogs all day for us so they have the run of the garden all day, then when we come home we would usually do one of the big long walks (which we will need to do more of as Tara is bigger) then 20 mins last thing at night depends if on long walk or not with you guys. If we don't go out with the rest of you guys I take them out for about 30mins as soon as a get home then there last walk.... If all that makes sense Laughing Laughing Laughing
linsey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leon gets out to the garden as often as he wants during the day and he gets walked for 45 mins-1 hour every day, either lunchtime or evening, although he is often taken on far longer walks, esp at the weekends.

The only reason I don't take him on the power walks is that he tends to dilly-dally! But he could do them no probs!

I take him on the long training walks too and he takes them totally in his stride.

On the off-chance he doesn't get a good walk there is a definite change in him and his obedience levels, and he becomes demanding and badly behaved.
Patricia
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every morning at 5am, I take Jaws out for a 45 minutes walk before going to work. sleepy1 Then I take him out again in the afternoon for a 1h30 - 2h00 walk. He has a lot of energy !! Smile

Patricia
Lorna

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, gets the dogs out at 6.30 for their first walk. The early walk has become shorter, 15-20 mins. since Poppy arrived. I take Basil out for 1-2 hours walk mid-day. Basil has a quick walk down to the park at night before bed - 20 minutes or so.

All the dogs have 24 hour access via the dog flap to a quarter of an acre garden out the back. The Danes spend a lot of their time running round out there.

Poppy's walking is restricted just now because of age etc.
Magz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiera gets 2 45 minute brisk walks one first thing in the morning once kids are in school then 1 late afternoon early evening walk, but she is going to be getting more than that once she is a bit older and I am alot fitter. we have recently started back walking round the glen, we did a twice round this morning just to see if we could do it. Very Happy
Susan
High Post Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rufus has not been getting enough..I realised that last night when he came home from the Croy walk still full of boundless energy!

Right now he gets:

First thing - literally 5 minutes, just to the corner and back.

Lunch - my Mum collects him and walks him to the bus stop and then to her house in Muirhead - about 10 minutes walking. Sometimes she walks him the whole way, if this happens I just give him a 15 minute walk at night.

During the afternoon he gets out in the garden.

Evening - a half hour walk.

At the weekends he tends to get a longer walk of around an hour, plus a couple of wee walks.

I am now hoping to get him on group walks at least one day at the weekend and twice through the week!
marcella

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rufus had a ball yesterday Susan! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
alisonD
High Post Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom needs loads of walking as he has so much energy!! I take him out for nearly 2 hours before work,1 Hours at lunch,Then 2 hours when i finish ! Plus walks later on! When i say walking TOM runs most of this time just no tiring a collie! We walk about 6 hours per day at weekend!!
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

During the week - about an hour in total. Combination of biking, on lead and off lead spread over 2 or 3 sessions. Plus at least one maddie round the garden trashing my plants.

At the weekend, it's a bit more - 90 mins to 2 hour runs off the lead or an hour on the bike both days in one session. The real energy expenders that allow for shorter sessions in the week. Ian does more than me!

Otto needs a lot of exercise - but we all enjoy the outdoors and knew that when we got him. He's getting his first hillwalk this weekend, up Tinto. Start training him for longer walks.
Claire/Mark

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alisonD wrote:
Tom needs loads of walking as he has so much energy!! I take him out for nearly 2 hours before work,1 Hours at lunch,Then 2 hours when i finish ! Plus walks later on! When i say walking TOM runs most of this time just no tiring a collie! We walk about 6 hours per day at weekend!!

Shocked You do alot of walking Shocked Think I would be ready for my bed if a done a two hour walk before work Laughing Laughing
alisonD
High Post Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to hate it but now its nice and bright when i leave at 6Am lol Just means am nice and awake for my work as i work in family business ain't as bad Smile Just hope the nice weather keeps up tho !
kirsty

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most days I walk the boys round the woods at Broadwood - takes 15 mins. then I do the glen or croy at lunch time. this is either 35 mins for the glen or 1 hour 15 for croy.

During the summer I walk them for approx another 45 mins to an hour each evening. then some weekends they have been on the longer walks. I really like chaterhault or the dollar walk, which are walks more than climbs and would like to get more of these in.

I feel guilty that the dogs only get about an hour monday - friday in the winter and for the size of them they should get more. Looking forward to starting evening walks soon now the lighter nights are here.
Barry

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tikka gets out at 8am for 10/15 min walk. Then at lunch, if i dont make the lunch time walk, she gets another 15/20 mins. I take her a longer walk about 5/6pm after work for around 30/45 mins. She then gets 10 mins last thing! If i can we come various other walks, which are anything up until an hour or just over. I still want to be care full how much exercise she gets just now as she is still growing and maturing. As i mentioned in an earlier thread, she defo plays up a bit more if not had as much exercise for whatever reason, Tikka also gets out in the garden as much as she like whilst we are home!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: