Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Cuthbert's weight
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gaelle
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Cuthbert's weight Reply with quote

I am now confused about whether to increase his food to bulk him up. When I was at Ingliston last week I met up with someone who has shown Clumbers for many years and has Cuthbert's uncle, who, when she saw him said that he was a bit light (by about 3-4 kgs) for his age and to try to bulk him up a bit for his health. Admittedly I have never had a Clumber pup before but I don't think he is especially underweight and he is quite healthy. He has had digestive problems ( which are being successfully treated) and he loves to be active. I know a lot of show Clumbers are big but I just want a healthy happy boy and am reluctant to bulk out his meals with pasta as was suggested. Do I increase his food intake more than I would normally as he grows? My vet thinks he is fine with no excess fat and looks well.! Confused Confused
Enid
Site Addict

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Cuthbert's weight Reply with quote

Gaelle wrote:
I am now confused about whether to increase his food to bulk him up. When I was at Ingliston last week I met up with someone who has shown Clumbers for many years and has Cuthbert's uncle, who, when she saw him said that he was a bit light (by about 3-4 kgs) for his age and to try to bulk him up a bit for his health. Admittedly I have never had a Clumber pup before but I don't think he is especially underweight and he is quite healthy. He has had digestive problems ( which are being successfully treated) and he loves to be active. I know a lot of show Clumbers are big but I just want a healthy happy boy and am reluctant to bulk out his meals with pasta as was suggested. Do I increase his food intake more than I would normally as he grows? My vet thinks he is fine with no excess fat and looks well.! Confused Confused

I think your final sentence sums it up, Gaelle. No dog is healthy carrying excess weight, quite the opposite. Why would you want to bulk him up "for his health" if that would make him overweight? Sounds crazy to me.

If I were you, I would carry on feeding him just as you are doing. You say he is healthy and active, so you are getting it right, especially as you are also overcoming his digestive problems. Don't risk upsetting the equilibrium.
marcella

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enid is right Gaelle, no dog is healthy carrying excess weight.
Cuthbert looks a picture of health, I wouldn't change anything.
jackdeb

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaelle.

I agree with Enid.

What I would ask is. This chap that is showing the breed, is he saying that Cuthbert would need to be heavier to show or
is he saying that he does not look well.

jack
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Enid on this..........I dislike seeing an overweight dog..........to purposely do this to achieve 'a breed standard' is absurd.
Ashley

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaelle,

I think Cuthbert looks fine!! I think feeding is all relative to how active they are... how many walks, how long the walks are, how physical are they etc. Holly eats less on days she has not been as active!

I think Murphy is carrying a wee bit of excess weight at the moment but having switched him to raw and going out long walks will soon get him in to shape! Very Happy

Everyone else is right though... theres no need to adjust his food! Smile
Patricia
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Cuthbert is in a fantastic condition. He's been bouncy and full of life every time we went for a walk. Smile I just can't imagine him being bigger... Confused How will he be able to keep up with his wee pal Jaws is he puts on too much weight? Shocked Very Happy I think he looks just fine the way he is. Smile

Patricia
Gaelle

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jackdeb wrote:
Gaelle.

I agree with Enid.

What I would ask is. This chap that is showing the breed, is he saying that Cuthbert would need to be heavier to show or
is he saying that he does not look well.

jack

What the person said was that Cuthbert would have no resistance to infection if he wasn't a bit heavier and also that to show he would need to be heavier. Showing doesn't especially interest me so that's not a factor (besides I agree about breed standards and artificially achieving them at risk of dog's health). Thanks for your opinions folks I'm glad it's not just me thinks that way. Cuthbert stays as he is. Thanks. Very Happy Very Happy
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Show dogs are kept bulkier to fulfil the "ideal" I believe.

Otto's brother is heavier than him - at one point he was getting 200g a day more - but he is fed more to bulk him up for showing and also isn't exercised as much to make sure they don't go "lean and leggy" or get injured.

Cuthbert will be like Otto, not underweight, just fitter.
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought Gaelle.......did you take Cuthbert to the show? I thought that dogs not being shown were not allowed?
Magz

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaelle When I was at the show i was amazed at how for want of a better word MEATY some of the collies were, I was chatting too lynne about it at the time too, but at the end of the day we are not actually starving our dogs, the get the right amount of food and they are all fit and healthy.
I always look at kiera and think she is a skinny bag of bones but she is one very active dog perhaps one day in the far distant future she may put on more weight but as of now she is still very young and full of beans and I have been told by the vet she is fine so I am happy with that.
Gaelle

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Thomson wrote:
Just a thought Gaelle.......did you take Cuthbert to the show? I thought that dogs not being shown were not allowed?

No he wasn't in the show but Martin brought him when he came to collect me and that's when he was seen. Apparently the woman thinks he is too light for his height and length and his bloodline, as his parents and most of his pedigree family are heavy "show" stock. Like I say, I only want the best for him and for him to be healthy and happy.I don't understand how you can add extra carbohydrate to his meals WITHOUT adding extra fat to his body. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. When I think about it, H, (the woman), seemed horrified at the idea of someone taking their dogs out off lead and SHOCK, HORROR letting them run about in the water. Shocked I just don't get it!! Confused Confused
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better to be a lean mean running machine than a podgy poser - that's what we tell Otto. Laughing
Enid
Site Addict

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaelle wrote:
When I think about it, H, (the woman), seemed horrified at the idea of someone taking their dogs out off lead and SHOCK, HORROR letting them run about in the water. Shocked I just don't get it!! Confused Confused

I am saddened by this, Gaelle, as I am sure you are too. One of the most heartening sights of all is seeing dogs having fun and running free- swimming too if that is their thing!!
shirley c

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And getting dirty and their coats all tangley Very Happy thats fun for them Laughing

Thats why im not doing any showing with Jazz this year, tho a lot of horse groups are trying to stop the fat showing look, must just be the same with dogs, bulk them up for showing Rolling Eyes
I would have to rug up Jazz who is a british native pony, which means he grows a long shaggy winter coat also feed him up to the nines and tie his head in to bulk up the muscle on his neck.

Apart from being to lazy to do all that work, im letting him grow and mature naturally...also ponies who get too fat sometimes get a problem called laminitis which can be very dangerous

So no I would keep Cuthbert as he is fit and healthy and happy rolling about and running about Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: