Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Vaccination
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arlene
Chatty Junior Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Vaccination Reply with quote

Does anyone know how much a kennel cough vaccination is ? Confused
When we were at the vets today Rusty got his kennel cough and his booster or something and the price was really high. The receipt didn't break down the costs so we don't know how much roughly each jag is Confused
Enid
Site Addict

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phone and ask them for a breakdown of costs, Arlene. You are entitled to know what you are paying for.

They might even have made a mistake! Confused
kirsty
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kennel Cough vaccine is not necessary any longer. I don't have mine done now, seemingly the vaccine is only effective for the 5 out of 8 strains...so in future this could save you some money...but your receipt should be broken down for you
kendal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirsty wrote:
5 out of 8 strains...

its 1 out of 5 strains, still trying ti find the info my boss got off the Internet about it. some kennels still say you have to have it before they go into kennels, you should check with you kennel proprietor.

amandawhitelaw

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i did not know you could get this injection. If it meant yoda might not even get one of the strains i would get her it.
Enid
Site Addict

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amandawhitelaw wrote:
i did not know you could get this injection. If it meant yoda might not even get one of the strains i would get her it.

Its actually not an injection, Amanda. The vet administers it nasally and, believe me, the dogs absolutely hate it!!
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kennel cough is exactly that.....a cough, most young healthy dogs can shrug it off.......older dogs can struggle ....distressing to watch your dog when it catches this though.
shirley c

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scooby and Pixe have both had it and Scooby is old, both were fine in a few weeks, I probably wouldnt get the nasal spray, I know dogs absolutly hate it and if it doesnt cover all strains then I wouldnt put them through it
linsey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amandawhitelaw wrote:

If you aren't kennelling her often then it probably isn't worth bothering Amanda,

As the others said, its administered nasally and most dogs HATE it... last time I got Leon done it took me, a nurse and the vet to pin him down!!! She had to use two lots as it was all over the floor and his face - pretty much everywhere but up his nose! Rolling Eyes

Nightmare!
Patricia
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaws got vaccined last Saturday. It cost me 54 pound (and 1p Laughing), 30 pound for the booster, and 24 pound for the kennel cough. He behaved so well, I was very proud of him. I took him to Acorn straight after the vet and got him a big bone. Laughing

Patricia
Lindy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to be honest and IN MY OPINION after reading everyhting I have I feel that annual boosters are a rip off made up by vets to get you in and take money from you I like Patricia and Arlene had my my tow at the vets on Sat getting Lizzy's boosters and them both kennel cough because they will be kenneled in a few weeks £78!!!!! was the total. In the US they now offer a test to see how your dogs immunity is to the various harmuful viruses out there and if it's high they don't bother with a booster. Dogs are very differenmt to humans however I struggle to see how we only have to vacinate our children once or twice in their life time against various diseases yet dogs need vacinated every year????? I am a pesimist when it comes to vets for things like this, I have to add that I like my vets and they have been very good with my dogs I just feel that it is very easy for them to take money from us.

Rant over sorry Embarassed
Anna
Site Addict

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we had to put Tilly in the Kennels for the night for my brothers wedding and the kennels wouldn't take her unless she had the kennel cough vaccination. She hated getting that stuff up her nose. Poor little pup.
kendal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you booking your dog into kennels for the first time or you are using a different kennel to the one you normally use, ask them if you need the Kennel cough.

if your getting it make sure you get it done two weeks prior to the dog being kenneled, it is a live vaccine and the kennel will not take the dog (if you are lucky and they do take them, they will have to go into isolation until the two weeks are up, not fun for dog or kennel staff)

sorry for being so forcefully about this, but the kennel i work at doesn't require the kennel cough for boarding, but we have still had to turn people away for the dog having the kennel cough vaccine only a couple of days before coming in. it is an unfortunate way to ruin your holiday, and is not relay the owners fault, as it is almost always the vets fault for misinforming them

kirsty

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amandawhitelaw wrote:

Amanda, I wouldn't have my dogs vaccinated at all with the exception of initial injections but for that I take them to training classes and do have to kennel them regularly. I would rather have them tested to check their resistance to see if they actually needed to be pumped full of vaccine. But unfortunately, as yet, our country does not operate this system. Perhaps if the vets realised the there might be as much money to be made in the testing and certificating of our pets they might be in favor of it, but the pharmaceutical companies would fight it tooth and nail.

It was actually my kennels who told me that the requirement for kennel cough was dropped and suggested that as it had never been an effective preventative in the first place I may wish to forgo having the boys done

call me cynical
Steven
High Post Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lindy wrote:
to be honest and IN MY OPINION after reading everyhting I have I feel that annual boosters are a rip off made up by vets to get you in and take money from you

Embarassed

Couldn't agree more Lindy, we always got our last two dogs boostered every year, that was until our GS developed a form of Lukemia and was on steriods for the last 3 years of her life. The vet informed us that as she was on these she could no longer get vaccinated but not to worry as there was very little chance of her contracting anything. I only get my other two done now because we have to, to get them in kennels or for training etc. I remember ( yep in the good old days) the young ones wont remember, but a dog used to receive their initial injections then that was them for life...what changed?

Stevie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: