Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Cockapoo Pricing
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colin
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Cockapoo Pricing Reply with quote

Hello.

We are looking to purchase a cockapoo puppy from a breeder - in fact, pretty much are going to buy this beautiful puppy.

This will be our families first dog and not having had any experiences of dogs and/or breeders I am just seeking a little reassurance.

I'm convinced and have very good reason to believe the breeder is spot on so have no problems with the breeder as such. What I am having difficulty understanding is the costs involved and want to be sure we are not being 'done'.

The breeder is looking for a substantial amount of money (£750). I've been looking at the Kennel Club web site and as far as I can tell a cockapoo is a mongrel in another name (excuse me if that is not politically correct). I've seen on other sites (which to be honest some do look a bit dubious) they are being sold for £100 to £200 which is obviously a massive difference.

I do appreciate (admitedly not fully) there will be a lot of expense involved in breeding generally - but if somebody could take the time to explain to me how there could be such a difference then I would be really grateful, particularly as we are not buying a pedigree - or what I understand a pedigree to be.

Thanks for reading.

Colin
marcella

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Colin,

you are correct in saying that it is not a pedigree, but that doesn't necessarily make them any cheaper as you have found out! Shocked What you find is whenever a breed (be it full pedigree or not) becomes sought after or 'stylish' whatever you want to call it, then the prices soar.
I have no idea what is a reasonable price for a cockapoo, but I personally think £750 is shockingly high!!!!! Shocked (Pauld note : German Shepweillers must be worth a few quid Wink )

Perhaps Janis can offer some guidance on this as she owns 2 herself. Smile
Ashley
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not sure that it is shockingly high. When I was looking in to getting Cavaliers I was finding that the usual price is about £600 at the very cheapest for those who breed ONLY the dogs and bitches that have had heart checks for MVD (each of these tests are about £300).

Whilst doing my search I came across a lot of adorable cross-breads... including a Cavapoo... which was actually more expensive than a pedigree Cavalier.
Its all down to whats 'in' and 'stylish' as Marcella said. When demand is high, price will be high as breeders know people will pay!

I disagree with such a price for what is essentially a mutt... when there are numerous in Dogs Trust and other kennels. However I can see why they are expensive as they are adorable and I was even swayed by Cavapoos when I was looking... perfect little mixture... but as I said earlier... they seemed to be even more expensive. Think Rhianna or some other celeb has a Cavapoo... which will have up'd the price.

Janis and Kendal will be able to help more though! Smile
colin
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is pretty high.

It's only 11 days old at the moment so hopefully Cockapoos go out of vougue and the prices come down by the time it's ready for collection in mid August Laughing

Like everybody else I guess I just dont like parting with money.

It's a lovely dog, we've read up on them and they have the right temprement etc. They are exactly what I am looking for. I've spoke to the breeder a couple of times and want to go with them but would hate to think we are being completely ripped off...

Colin
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The UK Kennel Club do not ( yet) recognise Cockapoo's and also quite a few other breeds including Jack Russels.

The USKC as far as I am aware do recognise Cockapoos.

I believe Janis and Kendals dogs, Gypsy and Inca have 'pedigrees' going back several generations although in the Kennels Clubs eyes they are not true pedigrees.

The Kennel Club is VERY set in it's ways and does not like change, the people who run it often display 'breed snobbery'.

I would say to anyone to get a dog that they want and not allow others to influence you choice unduly.

I hope this made sense?
colin
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John.

That made perfect sense - thanks.

Colin
Ashley

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh, definitely dont be put off by what are registered breeds through the Kennel Club... they ARE very snobby!

I just think the cost of some dogs these days are just SOOOO high just because celebs etc have them.... you are wise to be doing your research. Im not exactly sure how much they cost, or what is usually expected for them.

At the end of the day, you like the appearance and temperament of the dog... its just finding what is a reasonable price from, more importantly, a responsible breeder.
colin
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ashley.

This is all good advice, thanks...

We have been going to the Edinburgh Cat & Dog Home (I'm from the East) on and off for the past 8 months with the intention of rehousing a dog - so I agree with your earlier comment.

However, on each occasion they generally seemed to have pitbull's and larger dogs. Not that there is anything wrong with these, it's just that I have a young family so they wouldnt be really right for our home.

So, we started doing a bit of research and Cockapoos are a perfect fit for us.

You hit the nail on the head when you say "... At the end of the day, you like the appearance and temperament of the dog... more importantly, a responsible breeder."

I believe we have, I just wanted reassurance we're not being stung...

Cheers

Colin
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also if you want a less common breed it costs more....Otto cost £200 more than a labrador simply because fewer people breed them because they are less popular (dog on Duracell). But it was the going rate.

But I remember being surprised that labradoodles were another £150 or so more expensive.

So if you combine what's in style and fact not so many are bred, probably explains the price.
colin
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everybody.

I've got the reassurance I was looking for and the pricing makes sense (not too say they are sensible prices Wink) now.

I'm afraid there are a lot more questions in the post though Embarassed
marcella

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin wrote:

I'm afraid there are a lot more questions in the post though Embarassed

that's what the forum's for! Smile
Lisa
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about going through a breed rescue? I doubt there will be a Cockapoo dedicated rescue but perhaps a Poodle Rescue or a Spaniel rescue? Just a thought.
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you been to see a few breeders. If you're not sure, it's worthwhile - we were in the same boat as you, liked the breed but knew heehaw about breeding and had never had a puppy before.

We looked for a registered breeder and contacted the one nearest us. On paper a terraced house in Carluke was dodgy, but once I met her I was reassured by her. She was happy to answer questions, and I knew what the answers should be.

A combination of research and gut instinct will see you all right. But don't be ashamed to treat it as a business transaction at the start. THEN, do the falling in love!!
shirley c

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we were looking for Ridgeback puppies, we saw prices ranging from £300 - £1000

we paid about middle of the range but the breeder we spoke to was great, we trusted them and although the dog and bitch have great pedigrees, this was a family pet being bred rather than an actual breeder and the home set up suited us, they had kids, chickens, other animals etc and temperament wise the parents were great so this was our reason for choosing.

Just to give you an idea on what we went for Smile we are happy in our choice, we could have paid a lot less or a lot more but this 'breeder' felt right for us Smile
colin
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzanne H wrote:
Have you been to see a few breeders. If you're not sure, it's worthwhile - we were in the same boat as you, liked the breed but knew heehaw about breeding and had never had a puppy before.

We looked for a registered breeder and contacted the one nearest us. On paper a terraced house in Carluke was dodgy, but once I met her I was reassured by her. She was happy to answer questions, and I knew what the answers should be.

A combination of research and gut instinct will see you all right. But don't be ashamed to treat it as a business transaction at the start. THEN, do the falling in love!!

TOTALLY sound advice!

Without a word of a lie, I answered an ad in the Sun (I'll dig out the website address if anybody is interested) for a Cockapoo in Niddrie, which isnt too far from where I stay.

I asked to meet up, see the pup etc. and got an e-mail back (can dig out if anybody is interested) telling me the puppy was in Inverness.

It would be delivered to my door with amongst other things a plane ticket.

By a bizarre conincedence there was a report on Sky News reporting on practices such as this abroad but the dogs are finding there way into the UK.

Fortunately, the £200 they wanted up front was before a pay day - so I couldnt pay them the cash up front Smile So the sale fell through.

I imagine he is no longer selling puppies but moved into e-mail marketing advising people that they have $1,000,000,000 dollars from Dr xxxx that wants to give the money to you. Laughing

So, we have seen a few breeders. Some real and some not so!

Colin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: