Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Over weight dogs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Over weight dogs Reply with quote

A leading veterinary charity has said the problem of obese pets in Scotland is now the worst it has ever seen.

The PDSA clinic said about 70% of dogs it sees are overweight
The People's Dispensary For Sick Animals (PDSA) claims the growing number of owners who overfeed their animals could be guilty of "killing their pets with kindness".

And the charity fears official figures on overweight pets are masking a much bigger problem.

The PDSA said although official figures now put dog obesity at 30%, experience at clinics points to about 70% of dogs being overweight.

That, said the charity, puts them at risk of heart and kidney disease, diabetes and arthritis - all serious and in some cases fatal conditions.

Life expectancy of an overweight dog can be cut short by two years.

Source & Full Story: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7494179.stm
geri carroll
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

obesity shortening life expectency by 2 whole years is scary

when I had my 2 at vets for their booster jabs, she kept really going on about how nice it was to see 2 dogs who were an ideal weight
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This subject is something that really bothers me....as an owner you have 100% control of what and when your dog eats.

2 years off a dogs life average's at 20% of an average dogs lifespan......not to mention the joint damage etc that goes along with it.

I love to see a happy healthy lean dog irrespective of breed....
Jim & Geraldine
Site Addict

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we were told to keep an eye on Busters weight and he is a wee slim jim
Ashley

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is something that really bothers me too, think we were talking about this once before John! At the end of the day... the dog should have no control over what it eats... and so if the dog is overweight... its the owners fault!
People think they are being kind, but they are killing their beloved pet with this so-called kindness!

You should see the size of the black lab that lives along from me! Unbelievable! This is just cruelty... whether intentional or not! Said lab can't even run about... poor thing!

If you cant exercise your dog and look after them in all respects, including keeping on top of their weight and fitness levels.... you simply shouldnt have a dog!

*Deep breath* Rant over! Rolling Eyes Embarassed
Ashley

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim & Geraldine wrote:
we were told to keep an eye on Busters weight and he is a wee slim jim

We were told to keep an eye on Holly and Murphy as apparently Cavalier Spaniels are prone to piling on the pounds! So is anything or anyone if they eat too much right enough! Rolling Eyes Laughing
Lindy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh this is a bug bear of mine too I just hate seeing over weight/obese dogs, I also feel that with bull breeds and indeed any breeds it also leads to frustration in the dog who is then more prone to being aggressive/snappy. I am constantly worring about their weight making sure Lizzy is not too thin and Dora doesn't put any weight on as I woulod hate them not to be able to enjoy their life and run about and have fun like a dog should.
kirsty

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worry about my two as well. I always think bob is overweight, but every time I go to the vet I ask her about his weight and she keeps telling me not to drop him any lower....Actually when he is wet he looks skinny and his collar size is smaller than dodge but he just LOOKS a bit tumshy. and he tends to waddel about instead of looking keen and mean

He is going to the vets this week for his ears so I might get him on the scales again.
Ashley

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Ive managed to get Murphy to lose some weight since he's been with us.... and his fitness levels have definitely increased. His fitness is no where near Holly's but he is improving!
With Holly.... she always looks so skinny... but in fact she is just very lean! She's just always on the go! Cool
linsey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah... it is cruel...

like you guys say... if we are overweight then that is our own fault for not controlling our eating. But our dogs don't know any better and don't have that control, so if a dog is overweight then it is just negligence and cruelty on the owners part. Even if they are doing it out of what they think is kindness. People need to stop thinking that food=love... Sad

There were a couple of times when i took Leon for checkup and to get his worming, we put him on the scales and the vet said he was overweight... I was like, he bl()()dy well isn't, he is just solid! And sure enough, soon as she felt his ribs etc she was like no, he seems fine! (He's just "big boned"! LOL)

Thats the thing about fluffy mutts like Leon and Bob - it is hard to tell what they are like under the coat!
Christine
High Post Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

linsey wrote:

(He's just "big boned"! LOL)

Thats the thing about fluffy mutts like Leon and Bob - it is hard to tell what they are like under the coat!

Yeah Linsey I agree with you I thought Alfie was overweight until I bathed him. He is all fur and no fat.

PS Leon's just like me big boned Laughing Laughing Laughing
marcella

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, I like the 'big boned' description........... used that loads of times!!!! Laughing Embarassed Laughing Embarassed
Suzanne H

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate seeing fat dogs or kids. If you buy the food, you control it.

But people who view food emotionally (and we women usually do) make the mistake of assigning those emotions to their dogs.

Animals eat to survive, not to cheer themselves up or to reward themselves after a hard days digging.

Otto's weight is easy to monitor - I gauge it by being able to feel his ribs and spine easily without them protruding too much, and there should be no fat pad at the tail.

He gets 2 meals and a couple of dog biscuits a day. He sometimes gets leftovers, but usually rice, veg or chicken...not sweet and sour chicken and ice cream!! But if he was putting on weight, I wouldn't think it was a shame on him to cut it back. I'd think shame on me for letting it happen.
marcella

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzanne H wrote:

Animals eat to survive, not to cheer themselves up or to reward themselves after a hard days digging.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing hee hee .......... priceless post Suzanne. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Ashley

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcella wrote:
Suzanne H wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing hee hee .......... priceless post Suzanne. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

sign5 Yip, great little line there Suzanne! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: