Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
To snip or not to snip?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
graceb
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: To snip or not to snip? Reply with quote

Due to the problems I have been having with Dexter, I have been contemplating getting him snipped. I don't know if this will make any difference to his problem of aggression towards people or not. Some days I can take him out and about in busy places, and he is fine and the next day he has hackles up and ready to growl, bark at anybody and everybody in the street Evil or Very Mad if I decide to go ahead it will have to be pretty soon as he is now 8 months. Looking for anybody's experience or thoughts on this subject!
Ashley

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think, that as part of responsible pet ownership, unless you are going to be breeding then it is always wise to have your dog neutered or spayed. I maybe just feel this way as it has always been female dogs i have owned.. not sure what its like with males.

You wouldnt be breeding him anyway I imagine if he has "aggression" issues (Im using that term loosely though... Ive not seen him in a wee while) Smile.

Neutering can often calm down said issues, so if you arent going to be breeding him then I think its a good decision. Smile
linsey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Grace,

Well I can only speak about my own experiences, and I found that it certainly helped calm Leon down.

Combined with pack order and his training, I really believe that it helped to almost make him a different wee dog.

Before that he showed signs of aggression and would try to defend his toys, basket etc, and was continually pushing his limits in the house, especially with me as he saw me as the main top dog competitor!

I felt bad about it at the time, but I am now so glad that we went through with it. It has made everyones lives happier, including his!

Lx
Lisa/Colin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chop them off!!

Hektor is the first male dog I have had that I had neutered. Like you, I agonised over it for a good few months but it is the best thing I ever did. I think he was 8 months old when he was done.

His humping is now reduced to zero (and he used to make Ollies life a misery with it!).
He didnt really show a lot of aggression issues, occaisionally he takes a dislike to another dog (he REALLY doesnt seem to like Koda Confused who's done nothing) but I feel he's a lot calmer and less likely to get wound up now. I dont think I could cope with a hormonally charged Hektor.

Neutering him, combined with the prong collar and his training really is helping.

Good luck with your decision.

If you neuter him will that affect your showing him?
Ashley

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lisa Smith wrote:
Chop them off!!

If you neuter him will that affect your showing him?

sign5 at the "Chop them off!"
Hadnt thought about the showing aspect of it???? Confused
kendal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think you could still do it for fun but i do think it would go against you with the judged, i remember watching crufts on TV and someone rote in about there dog being neutered and they said that the kennel club like you to have a good reason for it, from what i remember anyway.

Ashley

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kendal wrote:
and they said that the kennel club like you to have a good reason for it, from what i remember anyway.

Really? Oh my goodness... isnt the reason "so my dog calms down" or "so my intact male doesnt happen to impregnate a poor stray female... resulting in more rescues and strays", good enough? The KC are so anal some times!!!!!! Rolling Eyes
kendal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well the point of trying to get your dog to win is so that you can make more money from the pup. if a male wins he can be studded out and people will pay good money from what i know for a winner the to cover there bitch. if he has been neutered then the line kind of stops there, you dont get any pup that might be nearly as good as there dad Rolling Eyes i know some times you do have to wounder why on earth they are in charge Laughing

graceb

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Lisa Smith"]Chop them off!!

hehe . When Im at my wits end with him barking, i threaten him with chopping them off! Rolling Eyes I actually thought that if he was neutered I couldn,t show him! I had hoped to wait untill he was fully grown before decided whether to chop or not, but if I wait till then apparantly it will make no difference to his problems. He doesnt show any aggression for toys or anything, doesnt guard food or toys. Only barks and gos balistic at the window if he hears any slight noise or movement. Usually there is nothing there. Or if someone comes in the house, Thats when he really gets going.
Allan Campbell
Trainer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if he is neutered you cant show him in any kennel club events ..its in their rules

also neutering may work to calm some dogs down .. but it is very rare that it does so .. training is by far the best option

he is 8 months old .. he is not aggressive he is asserting himself its natural ... think long and hard before you make this decision

again its only my opinion .. but the only reason to neuter any pedigree dog is down to health worries ...like john i have trained dogs for a long time ... neutered or not ... a dog is a dog ..it makes little difference to its temperament except in rare cases
Megan
High Post Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allan Campbell wrote:
also neutering may work to calm some dogs down .. but it is very rare that it does so .. training is by far the best option

he is 8 months old .. he is not aggressive he is asserting himself its natural ... think long and hard before you make this decision

again its only my opinion .. but the only reason to neuter any pedigree dog is down to health worries ...like john i have trained dogs for a long time ... neutered or not ... a dog is a dog ..it makes little difference to its temperament except in rare cases

I agree with Allan, that training is the best option.

Quote:
if he is neutered you cant show him in any kennel club events ..its in their rules

Allan where did you see that?

Just had a look at the back of an entry form and its says

Regulations for the preparation of dogs for exhibition:

3. No act or operation which alters the natural conformation of a dog or any part thereof may be performed except:
(a)Operations certified to the satisfaction of the General Committee. (b) The removal of dewclaws of any breed. (c) Operations to prevent breeding provided such operations are notified to the Kennel Club before neutered dogs are shown. Nor must anything be done calculated to in the opinion of the General Committee to deceive.

You just need to write to the kennel club and inform them about it and fill out this form ( http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/download/394/neutereddogsform.pdf )

If I was you I would phone and double check with the kc if its just that form you've to fill out if you were to go ahead with it Smile
Isabel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan I always thought that it was a good idea to neuter male dogs if there is any aggression issues as it dramatically reduces their levels of testosterone which is key player????? It made a big difference in keano.
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only every had one dog neutered......a rescue GSD who was wired to the moon, hyper was not the word for it.
He was 'done' at around 18 months and it made little difference to him.

I think every dog reacts differently to it......some display a huge difference , some don't. It is less likely to make a big difference in an older dog than a younger one.

A neutered dog ( male or female) is less likely to suffer cancer in later life than an un neutered one particularly in the case of a monorchid dog, one which has an undescended testicle ( this is a genetic problem ans any responsible breeder would not use a monorchid dog at stud)..........
Allan Campbell
Trainer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

megan ... im pretty sure in the standard of all breeds it states there should be two normally descended testicles in all males if im wrong i stand corrected .. Smile

isabel .. im not so sure thats what did it for keano ....sheryl put in a vast amount of work with both him and coby ... i think all credit goes to sheryl for any improvement Smile

as i said it can calm them down .. but it is rare that it does so... i dont believe in altering a dog just for a possible quick fix
that may or may not work ... again its only my opinion .. everyone must do as they think best
Isabel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allan Campbell wrote:
isabel .. im not so sure thats what did it for keano ....sheryl put in a vast amount of work with both him and coby ... i think all credit goes to sheryl for any improvement Smile

Oh I know that sheryl put alot of work in and that made a big difference but there was also a big difference when he got the snip, he was definitely calmer with other dogs. But as you say it may not work with all dogs.

I personally think that a lot of the worlds problems would be solved if ALL men had there bits chopped off Very Happy Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: