Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Enzos' New Crate
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craig/Tracy
Site Addict

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Enzos' New Crate Reply with quote

Its arrived. Looking for tips now guys. I've set it up and he went in straight away. I have lined it with a duvet and he seems relaxed and is in it with his kong. What do you reckon the next stages are i.e. when do I shut it etc. Question
Jack
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get him used to the door shutting just pop him in there with a toy/chew and whilst he's distracted by that very cooly and quietly shut the door as if it's no big deal. If it's no big deal to you and you make no fuss it'll be no big deal for him. Only leave it a few minutes then just as cooly open it again. Do this at intermittent intervals and for varying time periods and you'll find he just accepts it. Next step is progressing to leaving the room, then the house after you have crated him, again for varying periods of time. Stay chilled about it and he'll barely blink. My girls were no bother at all - they loved their crates from the outset Smile
Craig/Tracy
Site Addict

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jack. He has just finished playing with his Kong and is sleeping in it. We are in the kitchen and watching it like nooooo way. How cool is this we may be able to have visitors again. Surprised
Jack

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a fantastic feeling when you turn a corner isn't it? Wink Keep at it - he and you ALL sound as if you are thriving. With John's one to one help and everyone on here willing to much in I am positive things will only keep getting better - stick to your rules and boundaries and before you know it you'll be able to welcome guests into your home without worrying over it Smile Just don't be too keen and rush him - he (and ALL of you) are doing so well to come this far - these are for him - I'm sure he won't mind accepting them.xxxxxxx

PS......as tempting as it is.......don't be tempted to catch him offguard when he's sleeping and shut the door of the crate otherwise he could well freak out when he wakes. He's got to KNOW your doing it and not be troubled by it - calm acceptance is what you're after for maximum effect Cool
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds as though both Enzo and you are getting on fine with the crate.......he will quickly see it as his place............tell the kids it is his place and do not let them approach it.better safe than sorry......I showed you Murphys reaction when a dog approaches his 'space' this is instinct and should have respect from the children..if needed bring them to class and i will show them......

John
Craig/Tracy
Site Addict

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The door is shut and he is calm when I open it if he doesn't charge out which I don't think he's going to should I reward him ?
P.S. he loved the xxxxxxxx
Jack

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing my girls do when people approach their crates is gnaw and dig at the blessed things trying to get out to greet them Rolling Eyes They just LOVE everyone!

But good point John - he HAS to see it as HIS safe haven where he can go for time out when HE needs it not just when it's convenient for us humans to put him there.
Jack

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig wrote:
The door is shut and he is calm when I open it if he doesn't charge out which I don't think he's going to should I reward him ?
P.S. he loved the xxxxxxxx

Reward him with affection - that's what he should respond to best, gentle calm affection so he sees his behaviour having a positive effect on you AND him. Treats are fab but mine get rewarded much more with love than toys or titbits

And as he's being sooooo good for you he's earened a few more off me.....pass em on.xxxx Laughing
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is seeing a great change in his lifestyle..........I think it is not worth the risk at the moment to let the children approach the crate........he needs somewhere he can feel secure......

John
Craig/Tracy
Site Addict

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep we will make sure they know that is Enzos' room as he is not allowed in theirs they are not allowed ......... in his. The muzzle is still working as a great deterrent as soon as he is too excited we show him it and returns to calm submissive. By the way the door has been shut now for ten Min's and he is lapping it up.
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as we discussed use a 'key ' word along with showing the muzzle and he will soon respond to the word rather than seeing the muzzle............

John
Craig/Tracy
Site Addict

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah we are using "DOWN" Evil or Very Mad Very Happy
Jack

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig wrote:
Yep we will make sure they know that is Enzos' room as he is not allowed in theirs they are not allowed ......... in his. The muzzle is still working as a great deterrent as soon as he is too excited we show him it and returns to calm submissive. By the way the door has been shut now for ten Min's and he is lapping it up.

Brilliant Craig!!!

I'd recommend opening the door shortly so it's done when YOU decide the exercise has ended (for now) rather than wait on him getting bored or fractious and DEMANDING that you open it. It's vital at this stage that he sees and accepts YOU are in control and doesn't learn that he can call the shots and start to associate the crate with negative feelings/behaviour
Craig/Tracy
Site Addict

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done Jack Laughing I is the boss lol he had a drink and went back in. Laughing door open though but hey he doing so well
Joe
Site Addict

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Its been brilliant watching the posts here Craig. it seems you have done really well.

Ben was introduced to a crate when he was young as you have done and it only gets used now when we want to party, or when we travel.

Its amazing when Ben goes in his cage how relaxed he becomes. But just like John says its his house and he does let people know that.

Well done
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: