Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Revolting dog!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> General Dog Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nicola

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cassandra wrote:
Nicola wrote:

Eh? I'm not shouting. Confused

Everything possible had been done to turn this dog around, nothing worked. The only thing that has helped is medication.

If there were effective alternatives to conventional medicines for both animals and humans though, I really would try them first.

The collies owner tried everything from Reiki and DAP sprays.....it had no effect on the dog, unfortunately.

When I initially replied...your last response was in size 10 font, that is shouting, as is posting all in capital letters.

There are many effective alternatives to conventional medicines. I am sure if Laura were about she would be able to add to that. Its not really something I have explored, i have other means to keep my household healthy inside and out.

I do apologise....I didn't realise the font looked so big. It wasn't meant to be in large letters. Wink
kirsty
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My two use the cats litter tray as their 'scoobie snack' container

they like to wait until the content is hard, the cat 'does her thing' in the middle of the night, they scoobie snack in the morning.

I'm totally cool with it with the exception of my concerns about it not being part of their 'barf' diet. Laughing
Allan Campbell
Trainer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barf.... beef and raw feeds ... ... kirsty ...i believe it is fine as long as it not cooked ...it will qualify Wink
Sam
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya folks Very Happy

I have just waded through the six odd pages o this topic and its quite stunning ! Six pages about a dogs eating poo!! Shocked

If i run through the list of the mank things my dogs have eaten in the past, with no ill effect, you would all be green in the face... Confused gros it is.
The thing is we are talking about domesticated dogs here, not wolves and mostly they are opportunist scavengers as we have found. Its lucky that their digestive systems seem to be be able to handle rancid remains of rotting corpses , 50 day old eggs and poo with no real ill effect on them.

Its the nature of the beast i am afraid Very Happy
It works like this. Foxes poo, is doggie perfume, it is for the rolling in. This makes sure old charlie fox doesn't scent you when you are hunting him on his own territory. You roll in his poo, an he cant smell you, all he can smelll is himself... Always best done when you have your new collar on of course.. Mad and if its raining and mum has to drive you home in the car with the windows shut its much better Embarassed

Eating poo...well poo is full of all sorts of usefull stuff. All them Greens in sheep poo, its very similar to the stuff you would rip out of a rabbits intestines if you were a dog feeding yourself in the wild. It don't smell so good but its a balanced diet.

Food envy...food envy is what keeps us fed if you are a dog...' Quick lets eat it afor anyone else does'.. those o you with more than one dog will appreciate this.

use full mark out territories...quick, lets eat them strange ones because this is 'MY' terf.

and last but not least...if you feed you dog 'Bakers complete dog food' its a cert that your dog will supplement itself by eating terds.

Nicola...you need to spend more time round dogs and less time on the internet looking up the latest reports and new age fluffy ideas etc.
For you too suggest that any forum members dog is mentally unsound because their dog eats poo given the chance, and does not run back instantly when they are commanded too by their owner is ridiculous.

Dogs an mankind co exist on a need basis,, the relationship was always a mutual one o protection and warmth.
One was never truly the master of the other..an we all have our needs.

I pitty the dog that is not allowed to be a dog, because its owner thinks it cant eat sh*t without being told it can, or that it is has a mental problem if it doesn't respond to your new age dog training.

Sam
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
and last but not least...if you feed you dog 'Bakers complete dog food' its a cert that your dog will supplement itself by eating terds.

Sam

nice post Sam Laughing
Enid
Site Addict

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For you too suggest that any forum members dog is mentally unsound because their dog eats poo

Thanks, Sam!

I've just cancelled Jodie's asylum reservation! Wink

Great post!!
Nicola

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Sam"]Nicola...you need to spend more time round dogs and less time on the internet looking up the latest reports and new age fluffy ideas etc.
For you too suggest that any forum members dog is mentally unsound because their dog eats poo given the chance, and does not run back instantly when they are commanded too by their owner is ridiculous.

I pitty the dog that is not allowed to be a dog, because its owner thinks it cant eat sh*t without being told it can, or that it is has a mental problem if it doesn't respond to your new age dog training.[/quote]

Hardly, Sam! Confused Laughing

New age "fluffy ideas", eh?

Dog training has advanced dramatically since nineteen canteen, it's not all choke chains and harsh training methods anymore. There are kinder and effective way to do things now. Gone are the Barbara Woodhouse days, i'm afraid, Sam! I work with some of Victoria Stilwell's and Jan Fennell's methods amongst other ways that work for my dogs.

My dogs are allowed to be dogs, believe you me, just because I don't allow my dogs to eat sh!t and other paraphernalia doesn't mean to say my dogs are not allowed to be dogs. Far from it.

Today, my dogs ran around and mingled with several dogs all off lead and they had a ball. They also found a big muddy puddle to play in and got boggin' in the process! So long as they didn't eat it....which, of course, they didn't.

My Westie came 3rd in her obedience class today, we even beat Border Collies and other dogs who compete in obedience, my friend came 1st with her dog. We also done some agility today and have our first big show at SKC this month. I just hope I don't let my Westie down! Laughing

So much for my "new age, fluffy ideas". Wink
marcella

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicola wrote:

and Jan Fennell's methods amongst other ways that work for my dogs.

so do we Nicola............ in fact she and John have exchanged emails before.
She certainly doesn't frown upon a leash correction.
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I would never put a choke chain on any of my dogs and would not recommend their use to anyone........I have put one on my leg and yanked it....for research purposes only ........not anything kinky Laughing What a bruise leaves where the chain feed through the ring.

I like Jan Fennels views on dog training and really like Cesar Millans ideas on pack order.
I believe there is no one method to train a dog...everything must constantly adapt and evolve.......even down to taking into account your mood, the dogs mood etc
Nicola

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcella wrote:
Nicola wrote:

and Jan Fennell's methods amongst other ways that work for my dogs.

so do we Nicola............ in fact she and John have exchanged emails before.
She certainly doesn't frown upon a leash correction.

Marcella,

I don't mind slight pressure on the lead to help encourage the dog to understand what you want it to do.....but what I don't agree with is yanking the lead. I hate seeing folk yanking the dog almost off it's feet, some of them don't even use their voices first. I absolutely hate yanking. Confused

I do like some of Jan Fennell's work though. I've read a couple of her books and got her dvd. Interesting.
Nicola

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Thomson wrote:
Personally I would never put a choke chain on any of my dogs and would not recommend their use to anyone........I have put one on my leg and yanked it....for research purposes only ........not anything kinky Laughing What a bruise leaves where the chain feed through the ring.

I like Jan Fennels views on dog training and really like Cesar Millans ideas on pack order.
I believe there is no one method to train a dog...everything must constantly adapt and evolve.......even down to taking into account your mood, the dogs mood etc

So you say, John. Laughing

Yes, I could believe that actually, I think choke chains are barbaric. Confused

I'm interested in reading Cesar Millan's stuff, I think I might buy his book that i've seen advertised.

When i'm practicing recall with my dogs, I occasionally put a jump, or tyre etc half way between me and the dog...Just to make it more interesting! I sometimes put a weave half way between me and Molly when doing recalls, and use my voice to guide her through it on the way to me. She even knows to go in with her left shoulder! It definately keeps her mind focused.

When doing drop recalls, I strategically place treats and toy on the way to me, to make it even more diffucult for them. At first Molly would snaffle all the treats Rolling Eyes Now, by use of my voice, I can get her to leave the treats and put her in a down stay in the middle of them.

Also....have you heard me going round and agility course? Now, I really have to use my voice when negotiating an agility course! Shocked Laughing
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicola,

some dogs will simply not respond to light pressure on a lead therefore the level of correction should be increased to the minimum level that the dog will respond to.
There is little point in administering a correction that you dog ignores if it then steps out in front of a bus because it ignores you.

When Diesel was younger I did yank him off his feet........Diesels response was to stand up and look at me to say.........is that you best shot? I can take a correction like that all day long..bring it on.

Hence my use of pinch collars.......so now there is no need for me to administer a leash correction...no confrontation and both me and my dogs are happy.....you saw them today and how relaxed they are in the company of other dogs....even when your we Roxy objected to Murphy being near her he responded to a voice command to get out of her personal space.

Any correction, be it voice,leash or other physical correction should be the minimum needed to get the dog to comply.

My own personal interest is in aggressive dominant dogs.......the ones most people would give up on and denounce as a danger only fit to be destroyed.

I know lots of people have a problem with the use of a training collar, an in the perfect world they would never be used however this simply is not a perfect world and I see pinch collars as the most humane way of dealing with dominant dogs....no yanking, no confrontation....given a choice between destroying a dog or using a prong to keep them in line is simply a no brainer to me.

I'm sure we can start to see each others point of view on subjects like this?
marcella

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Thomson wrote:

I'm sure we can start to see each others point of view on subjects like this?

And that would be a perfect ending to this thread.

Opinions are what makes a forum buoyant and progressive, but no one can force their opinions on anyone else.
But it would be a better place if we could remove our blinkers and see other points of view. I know I have learned from posts here ............. I've picked up useful tips and obtained more knowledge. That's the beauty. We can ALL benefit if we remain open minded.
Nicola

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

I do understand where you're coming from, really I do. I still, personally, wouldn't use prong collars and I absolutely hate the things, that is just me. I understand that you won't go out your way to be cruel to your dogs.

My Roxy is a tease...especially with big, male dogs! Rolling Eyes Laughing She has a friend in the park, a big Boxer dog, who she "makes faces" at and screeches at, like she was doing with Diesel yesterday...She wanted a wrestle! They love to wrestle and I always fear i'm going to end up at the vets with Roxy! Rolling Eyes Very Happy I'll post a couple of photos of them later.

I suppose we all have the best interests of the dogs at heart, and that's what matters. Smile
Lindy
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam I agree completely with your post. John I'm with you on the prong, I have had to pull dora off her feet to try and correct the pulling and she totaly ignores it and pulls again she is a hard dog and smaks on the bum and corrections seem to not phase her so I need to change my approach, Lizzy on the other hand is a dream, and knows I'm boss and does as she is told, however she is still a pup and as JRT I'm ready for her to become and adult and challenge my authority which she will no doubt do as she is a confident little tike and will wnat to eb boss.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> General Dog Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: