Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Enzo
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craig/Tracy
Site Addict

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Enzo Reply with quote

Pleased to say Enzo has a harmless lump due to something piercing him, there was no puss coming from it but it did start to bleed in the vets today so the vet gave him a course of antibiotics for it and also gave him a injection for the upset tummy he has has for the past two weeks, he even did it in the consultation room Embarassed , i complained about the vet i was speaking to at the weekend and the vet today could not believe that this was even suggested as he is still so young so i know now not to panic from now on Embarassed ,hopefully he will be able to make classes this Sunday if all is well, he was left in the crate for only two hours today and when i came in he had done a pee all over it which is very unlike him but do not know if that was maybe down to the injection or not Confused , the vet also said that dogs can get ecoli and food poisoning from raw diet is this right as i thought their digestive system was completely different from ours but vet thinks not Confused , sorry if i was a panic stricken pain at the weekend but he is my first dog and this is all new to me Laughing
Jack
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot put into words how relieved I am for you Tracy - and the very LAST thing you were was a pain! Get THAT thought out of your head this minute!! Evil or Very Mad

Who else would understand what you were going through than us? We're here to support and help no matter what!!!

HUGEST of snuggles and kisses to the big lump from me babe and SO glad my instinct served me well - I KNEW I should have been a vet Wink Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Hugs & kisses.xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sorry I can't help on the raw diet thing babe - mine aren't on it but it has always been one of the things that I have pondered over myself BUT remember - dogs are originally wild creatures and if they lived in the wild they would be eating raw so their system should be able to cope - I guess the difference there is they would predominantly eat fresh kills and not something that has been frozen then defrosted - John's your man for this I think Wink
Joe
Site Addict

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys

Fantastic News

absolutely over the moon for you both.......... Wink

Come on the ENZO.....
Ann, John JJ and Kyle
Forum Regular

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So glad to hear that things are settling down. Always such a worry. I think we are all prone to panic slightly over the things that are dear to us. Think major feeling was one of worry all round. Hope his tummy improves soon too. Hopefully see you next Sunday fit and well.
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news Tracy/Craig.

Vets always bleat on about raw feeding.........read as much as you can.......dogs do have completely different digestive systems........they regularly eat poo with no ill effects.
I have fed raw for almost 3 years and never had any problems.........when I fed commercial dogfood I did have digestive/ allergy problems.

John
Craig/Tracy
Site Addict

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what i thought John and had to bite my tongue with the vet but Craig did mention that if Enzo now ate a tin of dog food he would be ill, she also said a was nice and lean and weighed him and he was 36kg which she said he is one big boy Very Happy
Jack

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracy, just a thought....

Have you added any new meats into his raw diet recently? My dogs for instance cannot have chicken raw or cooked OR sadly bones - all get incredibly bad squits which lasts for 3 - 5 days (obviously the severity lessens otherwise I'd have them to the vets). And that's just from ONE meal of it Shocked
Also when I tried them with bones they ALL had the squits but Ella got severe vomitting too bringing up bits of part digested bone (it looked like little lumps of honeycomb) even days later. Her drinking and eating habits didn't alter she didn't get lethargic or dehydrated so I KNEW a vets trip wasn't needed just her digestion needed to settle. She also got unacceptably territorial and very prone to aggression when she had her bone.(Luckily because I watch them all carefully I managed to ensure we had no incidents due to her attitude). So all of those things combined convinced me they'd not have bones again as they didn't agree with their tummies - ALL of mine have sensitive tums and I need to watch their diet carefully so anything that upsets them is out.

I'm not saying this IS what caused Enzo's tummy upset - it may well have been the infection but think back and see if you can pinpoint something you started giving him 2 weeks ago if for no other reason than to rule it out.

Too many people feed their dogs raw without problems to convince me it's a bad thing it's just not for us. I still might incorporate some raw into their diets - I haven't yet decided.
Craig/Tracy
Site Addict

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing would have been raw chicken fillets breasts and would have been two weeks ago which was the first time i had given this Rolling Eyes
Jack

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then stick with the raw but don't give him the chicken breasts and see if that helps. If you want to be certain allow his tummy at least a week or two to recover then given him breast again - if it happens again you'll know for certain Wink

Process of elimination - it's how I've discovered exactly what foods are bad for my lot and why I stick them rigidly to the diet they are on. Poor babies aren't allowed scraps very often unless I know their tummies won't be upset.

So glad he's all better now anyway - oh and I forgot to say - yeah the peeing in the crate - if it's a one off it is likely due to the trauma of the vets visit and maybe even the injection - he probably drank loads when he got back too.

Did you need the muzzle or were you brave & went without it? Smile
Craig/Tracy
Site Addict

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We put the muzzle on him Jack but don't think he needed it as he behaved impeccable, did not even bother with the vet at all with all her prodding about at him, so proud of my big boy Wink
Craig/Tracy
Site Addict

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was the scrambled egg he had on Saturday that gave him a ticky tummy, the reason I think this is Tracy made it. Very Happy
Lisa/Colin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad Enzo's OK and that he behaved well Smile
Jack

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's come so far hasn't he? I don't blame you for muzzling him but how good that he behaved himself - so proud of that boy! Smile

And Craig - you're for the high jump when Tracy reads that post Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
graceb

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear Enzo is fine and it was a simple treatable lump. Smile
tricia
Site Addict

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tracy/Craig... just read about how worried youve been about Enzo....
Great news that he is ok Smile ... hope his tummy settles down soon too!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Dog Health & Grooming All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: