Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Barking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deborah Hamilton
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Barking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Reply with quote

Please help.Mishka is driving us nuts with her barking.
It just started recently. No reason that we know of. If she sees or hears something outside .... she barks. Okay in itself as she is sending out a warning but she now persists in barking and even distraction isn't working. She is sending us 'barking' mad!! Excuse the poor humour. Very Happy
Magz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No doubt john would have better advice but with one of my fosters we taught the talk command to get her to bark then taught her quiet, and with another we just used to rattle a can of nails that soon stopped him.
marcella

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Debbie,
try cymbals (the small brass discs John sometimes uses in class) to distract her. They work a treat especially on hard floors!!!! If I throw them to the ground when either of our to bark or growl, they usually jump and look at me as if 'what the hell????' Laughing
You can pick them up on Ebay.
Janice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it's any help but there are a couple of articles about barking at www.clickersolutions.com,then its under problem behaviour Some of their things seem quite good.
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Debbie,

what distractions are you currently using? Might need to up the ante a little?

Diesel loves to bark.......simply enjoys it but does stop if he is pushed
Jim & Geraldine
Site Addict

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Buster Barking Reply with quote

The wee man has an aversion to barking when i have him in the car and i stop to go into a shop or buy petrol etc.
He just goes bananas and scratches the inside of the car - has done a bit of damage to my headrests
Doesn't bother him if he has been for a walk and we go straight back home - only if i stop off anywhere
I tried to get him to stop, but to no avail
Any suggestions sad2
marcella

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, that sounds like separation anxiety. Does Buster get left on his own at times?
Jim & Geraldine
Site Addict

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: anxiety Reply with quote

Marcella
This only seems to be in the car
we leave him in the house when we go to work and my mother in law comes about 2 hours later and he is fine
The same when Geraldine gets home from work - he is generally alone for about two hours, but has the cat for company, and he is generally sleeping.
Does not do damage to anything in the house
I think it is a car thing
Jim
marcella

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like it Jim. Try building it up slowly. Pop him in the car in the drive and go nowhere. Get out of the car and wait only a few seconds. Go back and treat him if he's good. Then little by little expand the time you leave him praising him every time he does well.

If he's good being left alone at home, his issues are obviously just with the car. Confused
Nicola

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcella wrote:
Debbie,
try cymbals (the small brass discs John sometimes uses in class) to distract her. They work a treat especially on hard floors!!!! If I throw them to the ground when either of our to bark or growl, they usually jump and look at me as if 'what the hell????' Laughing
You can pick them up on Ebay.

Training disks usually work for most dogs.....but timing is everything when using this kind of equipment.

For it to be effective, you must "get" her instantly when she starts to bark, and then ignore her, with no eye contact. Perhaps you could add a "no!" or "enough!" along with the disks aswell, depending on how bad the barking is!

Stones, pasta or pennies in a plastic bottle can also be effective in stopping unwanted behaviour such as barking. Shake the bottle near her then put it out of sight and try and keep it out of sight to try and stop her knowing when you're going to use it. Again, timing it everything with this technique.

A friend of mine had a problem with barking in her Border Terrier. A bottle of water with a sports cap worked a treat! As soon as she barked for no apparent reason, she got a squirt of water on her face! Laughing Now, the sight of the bottle is enough to keep her quiet. Barking when she's playing it's fine, it's when constantly barked in the car that was the problem, or when she was standing talking to somebody. In her case, it wasn't that the dog though that was the only way to get attention, it wasn't, she gets plenty of positive attention, it's just that she was a noisy sod! Laughing
Nicola

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also remember that telling your dog to shut the hell up can make it worse, as the dog thinks your joining in! Laughing For other dogs, telling them off does help shut them up!
Nicola

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another friends dog also has a major problem with incessant barking. Especially in the car. Rolling Eyes She has tried everything from citronella collars to shouting at her. Ignoring her, praising her, giving her a treat when she's quiet, pennies, pasta and stones in a bottle, she has also tried. All these things work for a time, then stop working. Smile We're now on to the water bottle, which helps to an extent, but no doubt that will wear off too! Laughing

Even when she's in a down position, she can still bark for Scotland without a problem!

She bought this dog carrier thing and put her in it in the car. She can open the zip and stick her head on and bark. Rolling Eyes
marcella

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicola wrote:
Training disks usually work for most dogs.....but timing is everything when using this kind of equipment.

yip the timing is important and I usually keep them hidden and hold them tight to avoid noise until it's required!

Nicola wrote:
. A bottle of water with a sports cap worked a treat! As soon as she barked for no apparent reason, she got a squirt of water on her face!

yes that can be effective too, unless you have Diesel II and he thinks it's like the garden hose and loads of fun! Laughing
kirsty

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have tried most of the above with bob - The thing I had the biggest disappointment with was, I bought a water pistol and squirted it a bob, unfortunately dodge is always in the back of the car with him and he goes nuts trying to catch the water flow - bob, as he always does, just looks at us with a - yeah right, whats next expression - bob is as 'leeburg' would say a 'hard' dog

He has no real desire to please, takes no telling, even the prong, while effective, does not phase him at all, even if he pulls tight trying to get at another dog he stops, but his ears stay perked up, his expression does not change and he looks at you again as if to say, your having a laugh, is that all you've got.

I some times try to make eye contact with him when he is naughty, I try to touch his nose, he ducks and dives like a boxer, it is hilarious, there is no way I can make any contact with his snout and he completely ignores any attempt at eye contact

Bobs mad barking is my next challenge - I have sorted out the extreme and really full on barking at other dogs. But I have to stop him running up to other dogs and barking, the regular walkers will notice this mostly happens when he jumps out of the car.
Deborah Hamilton

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Thomson wrote:
Debbie,

what distractions are you currently using? Might need to up the ante a little?

Diesel loves to bark.......simply enjoys it but does stop if he is pushed

Thanks everyone for the advice. Computer is acting up so takes ages to get on forum Rolling Eyes

At the moment I try to call her to distract her.

I used the rattle idea for her jumping and it was working but Robert felt it frightened her as she would jump away and slide on the wooden floor Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

I think that would work but is there anything else I can try first as Robert isn't too keen.
Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Training Classes, Obedience & Behaviour Questions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: