Quick Forum Search

Advanced Search

Who's Online
[ Administrator ]
[ Moderator ]

http://www.phpbb.com
Sofa Chancer
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StuartW
I don't have a life ...I'm always here!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Sofa Chancer Reply with quote

Even before we started 'allowing' Doogle up onto the sofa, he would make us chuckle by quietly settling down on it when he thought no-one was looking.

Tonight, he's made me laugh.. every time I get up from 'my' side of the sofa, when I get back into the room he's curled up in my place... the look on his face is a picture. What is it about needing to be in my seat? It can't just be the warmth, otherwise he'd be lying where the laptop has been.

Laughing
marcella

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh Stuart .............. John will give you a roasting for that!!!!!!!!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Fiona

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yip i got it for having the dogs on my bed.....

Bad Stuart Wink
StuartW

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed

He never gets to sleep on the bed.. unless we're staying over at folks because we can't trust him in another room. Rolling Eyes
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sooooo wrong for so many reasons.............not a good idea to let a dog on a sofa or bed..........it quickly elevates them in the pack order............it may seem no big thing to you but to the dog it is a major issue.Personally I would try to stop this as quick as I could.

If he is stealing your seat it is perhaps because her sees himself as your equal or even your superior? it is not the warmth.........it is rank.

Doogle is a great wee puppy and full of fun but if he sees an opportunity to rise up in the pack order he will..........it is instinct......have a re read at the pack order section............I bet loads of it will apply to you!
Janice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale went onto the sofa tonight for the first time ever. He knew what he'd done right away and went off to his crate trying to look innocent Evil or Very Mad I think he was still tired and excited after his day out.
marcella

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was just chancing his arm .............. but seeing your reaction he realised that it was wrong so off he went. Good for you for not giving into him Janice. (even with that adorable face he has ....... I'd struggle Embarassed )

........... I still want to borrow him Very Happy
Janice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcella have you heard of Flex Petz ? I thought it was a joke but you can 'time share' a dog, honest.
Another first for the Americans.
marcella

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooooohhhh can I Flex Petz Dale? Take your pick............. Murphy or Diesel? Wink
marcella

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.............. or John? Shocked
StuartW

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Thomson wrote:
Sooooo wrong for so many reasons.............not a good idea to let a dog on a sofa or bed..........it quickly elevates them in the pack order............it may seem no big thing to you but to the dog it is a major issue.Personally I would try to stop this as quick as I could.

If he is stealing your seat it is perhaps because her sees himself as your equal or even your superior? it is not the warmth.........it is rank.

Doogle is a great wee puppy and full of fun but if he sees an opportunity to rise up in the pack order he will..........it is instinct......have a re read at the pack order section............I bet loads of it will apply to you!

Well, he's on the floor this morning Wink It's nice having him up with me / us.. but I think even Izzy would agree he's taking it for granted, even though we always intended it to be by invitation only (and she hardly ever agrees with me Rolling Eyes )

Now that the classes are starting again, and after seeing what well trained dogs can do, I think now would be a good time to treat him to the NILF policy. Consistency, not compromise... Smile
Isabel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No more sofa for doogle!!!! He never goes on the bed cos he isn't allowed upstairs, he sleeps in the kitchen, but recently he has been getting a bit more confident about getting on the sofa. It's the floor for him tonight!!! Laughing
Nicola

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both mine are allowed on all the sofas. We have covers on them and when people visit, we remove the covers. I maintain that it's as much the dogs house as it is ours, and if people who visit don't like it...then tough! Laughing

If, however, they refused to move from the sofas or chair when required to, then they wouldn't be allowed on them at all, but they are both very good and move when they're told to without any fuss.

Stuart,

My Molly does what Doogle does...As soon as any of us move from the sofas or chairs, Molly immediately moves on to the part we were sitting on. Quite comical, actually. Smile Laughing
John Thomson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A dog on a sofa or on our bed means very little to a human....perhaps even cute.

To a dog it is a big issue.......being allowed on furniture raises the dog in the pack order, this is instinct whether we like it or not.

Now plenty of people allow this and never have a problem with it....however if your dog is in anyway dominant it will start to want to climb the ranks in the pack with all the problems that can bring.

Dogs like things that are clear to them.......if you let them up one day then the next if the dog is dirty or wet and you do not allow them up this confuses the dog. Dogs like clear and above all consistent rules.
Fiona

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know its wrong Embarassed but I love having them cuddle up to me on the couch and in the bed Embarassed I can see how some dogs might get the wrong idea but I can't help myself Embarassed

Sorry John it makes me happy more than the dogs I just can't make myself stop Embarassed

I'M SORRY........................... Crying or Very sad Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cumbernauld Dog Forums Forum Index -> Puppy Questions and Training All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: